HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2011, 11:45 AM
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2010
160 Posts
2nd and 3rd flights on my new wing were good and a little devastating all at once! I have to admit, flying this light FFF wing in 5-10mph winds probably added to the hard landings...all my fault.

I put in my 3s 1500mah 20c battery in this wing and it balanced out much better than with my 1300mah batts. It also helped it punch through the wind a bit better too. Then came the landings. The first one, I lost orientation (up vs down) and it just fluttered down on a fence. A little CA glue to the motor mount and she was back up for flight #3!

At the end of chasing my buddies Slinger, I tried to bring in my wing once more, downwind. While trying to turn about 40 feet off the ground (in winds!), it just nosed straight into the turf! I broke both wings...nothing a some BBQ skewers won't fix in 3 minutes, but a battered ending to my 10 minutes of flying yesterday. Doh!

I might try to make a 2nd KESL with 4mm coroplast as the middle layer of the KF airfoil next go round. More durable and a little more heft that I'm looking for too.

Cheers!
pbruce09 is offline Find More Posts by pbruce09
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2011, 08:09 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
hey guys got a quick question,well the 32 tiled fit a 36x18'' of 9mm EPP? I have 3 sheets left and it would be great if it did.
I don't really want too use/cut up a sheet just for a half wing or something.
EPP is hard too come by up here,so...

thanks
You can always "splice" pieces of EPP together. Some welder glue and your set. Many of my planes have wings that are several pieces!

RdJay

RdJay
rdjay is online now Find More Posts by rdjay
Old Apr 07, 2011, 02:41 PM
Trolls more than he flys.
USA, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Sep 2009
1,883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjay View Post
You can always "splice" pieces of EPP together. Some welder glue and your set. Many of my planes have wings that are several pieces!

RdJay

RdJay
Yup that works, also if you do what I said, and it fits, then you've got your plans cut out, and if it doesn't fit, then you've got your plans cut out for when you get more EPP.
Gringostr is offline Find More Posts by Gringostr
Old Apr 22, 2011, 03:45 PM
Piedmont NC
Joined Jul 2007
153 Posts
props

I was thinking there was special props for pusher type planes.

How are you attaching your props, kind using, and motor direction?

thanks

bert-nc
bert-nc is offline Find More Posts by bert-nc
Old Apr 22, 2011, 05:16 PM
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2010
160 Posts
Bert - not sure about the others, but I've built a few pusher planes now, all using standard props. Here are the motors that I fall back on though. No special motor or props, but ALWAYS make sure the numbers & label on the prop are facing forward.

Pusher prop/motor setups...
- Grayson Hobby 2212-06 v2 (2200kv) motor | 6.4 APCe prop
- TowerPro 2408-21 (1400kv) motor | 7x6 TP prop

I'm currently running the TowerPro motor/prop combination on my KESL and it works great. Cheap too! As for battery to power this motor/prop, I really like my Hyperion 3s 1300mah 25c battery. It makes this thing climb well.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 06:47 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,225 Posts
Yep, nothing special about the props. Motor turns "clockwise" looking at it from the back. I'm not crazy about prop savers on this type, pretty easy to chew up the foam. Just use a standard adapter and turn your break off in the ESC, then the prop can move out of the way when landing.

RdJay
Old May 01, 2011, 04:59 PM
Coarsegold, CA
Joined Dec 2010
18 Posts
My 36" KESL

Hi:

This is to announce the successful build and maiden flights of my 36" version of the original KESL design. See the attached photo.

All original dimensions were multiplied by 1.125 to get the 36-inch version.

The aircraft was built from DOW blue fanfoam, and stuck together with 3M-77 with 5-minute epoxy in selected locations.

Hardware list includes:

Grayson B-GH2208-17 motor (1100kv, 100W)

Grayson ESC

9x4.5 prop

Hitec receiver

Turnigy 3s 800 mah battery

Hitec HS-82MG servos

Special construction details included the use of 1/4-inch diameter dowels to form the LE profile; the foam was lightly sanded behind that and 3M "Extreme" tape wrapped around the LE to fair everything. The servo leads were pulled through the gap formed just in front of the center foam in the LE so no wires except on the CL. Elevon hinges are 3M "Extreme" tape on both sides. The elevons were stiffened torsionally with the addition of bamboo skewers embedded in the foam, starting directly underneath the control horns and running outboard.

All up weight is 420g--that seems heavy from what I've read on this thread but she was just a beautiful flyer.

Thanks to my bro who helped with details and did the maidens--I'm a bit rusty after many years without stick time, but I hope this model will be a good trainer to bring me back up to speed.

The CG based the original specs appeared to be 9.56" when expanded, we decided to try 9.25" for the first flights--and this turned out to be perfect, no changes required! I was blown away by the performance, we could almost sustain vertical. After trim the airplane would glide hands off with no input for minutes at a time and I believe it would land itself. The stall was almost nonexistent.

BTW I didn't feel comfortable with any sort of hand launch so I designed and built a simple rail launcher using PVC pipe stuck into a 2x4 stand with an angle of about 12 degrees above horizontal. We just laid her on the rails and let her slide along. I would highly recommend such a device to all who are having problems with their launches, with some reservations I'm willing to discuss that can probably be refined.

Thanks to all on this thread for providing me with all the information I needed to build and fly a KESL right off the building board!

Bill
flinote is offline Find More Posts by flinote
Old May 01, 2011, 05:17 PM
Coarsegold, CA
Joined Dec 2010
18 Posts
[QUOTE=flinote;18119671]

Special construction details included the use of 1/4-inch diameter dowels to form the LE profile; the foam was lightly sanded behind that and 3M "Extreme" tape wrapped around the LE to fair everything. QUOTE]

Attached is a photo of the test article I made to prove the LE concept; it was the 2nd version, and the setback of the center foam is 1.5" from the front of the 2 outer foams. This allowed for a substantial overlap with resulting strength and stiffness.

Bill
Old May 02, 2011, 01:12 PM
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2010
160 Posts
Great weekend for the rebuilt KESL!

Nice work, Bill! I like your color scheme on the KESL :-) I'm seriously going to rebuild one of these with your cool leading-edge trick though. My plane looks like a thick plate compared to your nice airfoil!

I too went out this weekend for some AWESOME flying with this foam KESL. Before heading out, I imbedded a carbon tube as a strengthening spar to keep my wings from ripping off on rough landings! Did the trick too! My plane is still running the small TP2408-21 (1400kv) with a larger TP 7x6 prop now. Big difference over the 6 inch prop I last used. Long story short, I left my brushless Super Cub on the sidelines while I did 10-12 minute flights over the local soccer field. This wing is so much fun to fly at low altitude as well. My flying buddies were laughing while I did figure 8's in just one half of a soccer field. I love speed and altitude just as much as anyone else, but it sure is nice to actually SEE your plane while it's turning and rolling above your head!!
Old May 02, 2011, 06:28 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,225 Posts
That 36" looks great Bill. I've been thinking about a night flier and that would be a nice size to light up for low and slow.

I do the dowel/extreme tape as well and with some gorilla glue makes for a very tough LE.

RdJay
Old May 02, 2011, 08:25 PM
Coarsegold, CA
Joined Dec 2010
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjay View Post
That 36" looks great Bill. I've been thinking about a night flier and that would be a nice size to light up for low and slow.

I do the dowel/extreme tape as well and with some gorilla glue makes for a very tough LE.
I used white GG to attach the LE dowel to the foam; this also served to permanently bond the foams together. I had used a "stripe" of 3M 77 for the initial bond between the foams but I knew I would need something better.

Bill
Old May 03, 2011, 08:37 PM
Piedmont NC
Joined Jul 2007
153 Posts
planning on building a KESL, using a center section of 5mm thick coro, with the outer layers will be 6mm depron/cellfoam. will use the plans for the 32 inch KESL.

motors to choice from are:

1-http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the-1428/3530-dsh-14-Outrunner-Brushless-Electric/Detail

2-http://www.hobby-lobby.com/axi_gold_2808_20_outrunner_motor_3024_prd1.htm

3-http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=405&produc tname=

not sure of prop size.

not looking for a speed demon, just a stable, smooth flying wing.
this will be my first wing, and need a good one to learn on.

suggestions, ideas, comments are welcomed

bert-nc
bert-nc is offline Find More Posts by bert-nc
Old May 03, 2011, 11:00 PM
Team White Llama
United States, IL, Addison
Joined Dec 2010
500 Posts
KESL FPV in action today!

FPV KESL V2.0 (4 min 36 sec)
Enthlapy is offline Find More Posts by Enthlapy
Old May 04, 2011, 05:22 PM
nickeast
Stuart,FL
Joined Mar 2009
558 Posts
bert-nc
I have built 4 KESL's... 2 regular 32" , a 22", and a 27"... The key to a great wing is keep it light. I like Dow Performance called (fan fold) you get it at Lowes or Home Depot. I would not use coro for the first build. As far as motors the one's you mentioned are too big....try:http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...tor/Categories with an 8 or 9" prop and a 2 cell lipo

Servos: http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...sh---9g/Detail the 5g works well too
nickeast is offline Find More Posts by nickeast
Old May 04, 2011, 05:42 PM
nickeast
Stuart,FL
Joined Mar 2009
558 Posts
bert-nc,

My builds start at: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...040837&page=13 post#193 My second build starts at post #227 and 236 and 244, 308 is a vid, 324 is another vid, minikesl is at #358 #430 is 22" vid, and finally at 452 I have a viv of how I do the wing folds.... All of my KESL's are still flying.... and that is just because this is an awesome wing

let me know how yours turns out.....

Nick
nickeast is offline Find More Posts by nickeast