SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 28, 2009, 09:49 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead
typhoonmaster, looks like a nice build, It looks like it'll be a rocket with that motor. let us know how it flies.
Antennahead... I've got a question for you. With the way the components are positioned across the wing instead of running the length of the fuselage as Nalepa has done... do you think that the air flow over the upper surface might be disrupted? Every protrusion does affect the flow of air and the smoother you can make the flow go the better. Just an observation.
Dickeroo is offline Find More Posts by Dickeroo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2009, 10:08 AM
Rain or shine, wind or calm
Palatine
Joined Jul 2007
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickeroo
Antennahead... I've got a question for you. With the way the components are positioned across the wing instead of running the length of the fuselage as Nalepa has done... do you think that the air flow over the upper surface might be disrupted? Every protrusion does affect the flow of air and the smoother you can make the flow go the better. Just an observation.

Just flew her, took a bit longer to get the CG positioned. Cut my fingers on the prop = no fun. It is really windy where I am right now. It flew fine, but I think repositioning the components will help. It was pretty fast, but hard to tell with the wind.
typhoonmaster is offline Find More Posts by typhoonmaster
Old Jun 28, 2009, 10:22 AM
Palatine
Joined Jul 2007
364 Posts
Quote:
typhoonmaster, looks like a nice build, It looks like it'll be a rocket with that motor. let us know how it flies.
Thank you!!! I think it might be too much motor for the plane weight wise. Once she is dialed in more, I will post a vid. That will require spousal cooperation, though!
Old Jun 28, 2009, 12:01 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoonmaster
Just flew her, took a bit longer to get the CG positioned. Cut my fingers on the prop = no fun. It is really windy where I am right now. It flew fine, but I think repositioning the components will help. It was pretty fast, but hard to tell with the wind.
Looks great Typhoonmaster! Smaller usually equals faster (higher wing loading) but lots of fun tearing holes in the sky. Keep us posted how it goes.

RdJay
rdjay is offline Find More Posts by rdjay
Old Jun 28, 2009, 01:12 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickeroo

It doesn't show much in the photos I took, but I do have the esc,lipo,and reciever sunken into the top layer of depron, and they stick above the top surface only slightly, the servos are flush with the surface and taped over, the servo wires/extensions are just taped to the surface. I built this plane specificaly for this one battery, so component placement was was chosen to obtain corect cg and latteral balance.........no real theory to the build, just the "that looks about right" method. I could see how it would affect a high speed wing, but on my build I just wanted responsive, and light and this wing was everthing I wanted......and then some. I do plan on building another one with all of the components flush and see how it flies.
antennahead is offline Find More Posts by antennahead
Old Jun 28, 2009, 01:27 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,290 Posts
Quote:
Just flew her, took a bit longer to get the CG positioned. Cut my fingers on the prop = no fun.

Typoonmaster, here is the video posted earlier in the thread, this shows how miestertek and I launch our wings, put two fingers behined the engine mount and toss straight, and slightly up, do not add power until after the wing leaves your hand. I have tried many other ways to launch a wing, and most people do a frisbee or a pizza toss with power on, but I could never get a level toss any other way, and then I wind up with the wing going all over the place until I get it under control. I'm just much more comfortable doing it this way, although it does put your fingers in a very bad place, if you accidentaly bump the throttle stick before your ready......

KESL and Swift II Flying Wings (7 min 55 sec)
Old Jun 28, 2009, 02:25 PM
Palatine
Joined Jul 2007
364 Posts
Quote:
Typoonmaster, here is the video posted earlier in the thread, this shows how miestertek and I launch our wings, put two fingers behined the engine mount and toss straight, and slightly up, do not add power until after the wing leaves your hand. I have tried many other ways to launch a wing, and most people do a frisbee or a pizza toss with power on, but I could never get a level toss any other way, and then I wind up with the wing going all over the place until I get it under control. I'm just much more comfortable doing it this way, although it does put your fingers in a very bad place, if you accidentaly bump the throttle stick before your ready......

http://www.vimeo.com/5121596
Hey what city are you in? Close to Arlington Heights at all?
Old Jun 28, 2009, 02:42 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,290 Posts
Quote:
Lake Forest.......I fly as a guest with Aerosport rc club at Grainger field.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 10:17 PM
Giant Squid Aviation Works
Chicago
Joined Jun 2007
73 Posts
Quote:
Hey Thyphoonmaster, were not far from Arlington Heights at all, just a little north east of there. If you want you can stop by our field on Saturday, we fly from about 9am until 12:00 noon. Here is the location of our field: Grainger Field home of Aero Sport RC Club We can have a swarm of KESL wings flying!
meistertek is offline Find More Posts by meistertek
Old Jul 01, 2009, 11:00 PM
Chicago
Joined Jun 2007
73 Posts
Made some progress on the ducted fan KESL tonight, got the parts cut out for two of them. Here are some photos of the pieces laid out before gluing.[IMG]IMG_0295.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]IMG_0296.jpg[/IMG]
Old Jul 01, 2009, 11:33 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,290 Posts
sweet!! do you think it'll be ready for maiden on saturday?
Old Jul 02, 2009, 09:55 AM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,192 Posts
EDF, wow, that should be awesome. Looking forward to the flight report.

I moved my servos out on the wing (like in your picture) and decided to try adding "Henry's" fiber mesh to the top of the wing for more strength. Got the pieces cut and tacked down last night.

I've never done any of this before so learning/experimenting as I go. Not sure of the best way to "bond" the mesh to the wing. Saw a video of a guy using 3M spray glue. I've got that or brush applied Contact Cement or I've even heard of using poly varnish. Anyone with experience offer advice please. If I have any success I'll post pictures.

RdJay
Old Jul 02, 2009, 08:11 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjay
EDF, wow, that should be awesome. Looking forward to the flight report.

I moved my servos out on the wing (like in your picture) and decided to try adding "Henry's" fiber mesh to the top of the wing for more strength. Got the pieces cut and tacked down last night.

I've never done any of this before so learning/experimenting as I go. Not sure of the best way to "bond" the mesh to the wing. Saw a video of a guy using 3M spray glue. I've got that or brush applied Contact Cement or I've even heard of using poly varnish. Anyone with experience offer advice please. If I have any success I'll post pictures.

RdJay

The 3m spray glue either 77 or 90 is good if your building out of epp. It will melt depron and blue foam. Having the servos out on the wing doesn't seem to make for any bad habits that I can tell.
Last edited by antennahead; Jul 02, 2009 at 11:39 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2009, 11:21 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,192 Posts
Yes, I'm using epp. I had a can of "Contact Cement" and tested it a bit before on epp, no problems. I used a foam brush and squeegee and it seems to have done a pretty good job. It's drying as I type. Have only done the top of the wing (so far) and it's added ~1 oz. Probably a coat or two of Minwax, some sanding and then paint, may add another 1/2 oz or so. Not sure, may do the bottom also, will give it a try this way first.

I think the servo's out on the wing, control rods 90 degrees to hinge line and horns at mid span of the surfaces should help my control at higher speed allot.

RdJay
Old Jul 03, 2009, 01:20 PM
Chicago
Joined Jun 2007
73 Posts
Quote:
sweet!! do you think it'll be ready for maiden on saturday?
Yep, the Ducted Fan KESL should be ready for this Saturday, this one is for Brendan and the other one I am building will be for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjay
I think the servo's out on the wing, control rods 90 degrees to hinge line and horns at mid span of the surfaces should help my control at higher speed allot.
I think connecting straight on and near the middle will help a lot. Nalepa's KESL is the fastest I've seen so far and that's the setup he has. I am going the same route with the two ducted fan KESL's I am building now.