HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:02 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,280 Posts
Well, I was planning the maiden on saturday, so when I got out of work on friday, I couldn't get home fast enough to finnish the build. got home, made dinner and was starting to get all of my things together and bam!! the power goes out well it took the power company most of saturday to get the power back anyway, since I couldn't get her done for saturday, I took a little time to get it painted up a bit, everthing was going good until the little guy found out there was going to be an edf sibbling and I found out he has a bit of an evil side..........anyway here he is all ready to fly. total weight came to 13.5 ounces.
antennahead is online now Find More Posts by antennahead
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2009, 05:31 AM
Giant Squid Aviation Works
Chicago
Joined Jun 2007
73 Posts
antennahead, That paint job is awesome! how did you apply it and what kind of paint did you use?
meistertek is offline Find More Posts by meistertek
Old Jun 23, 2009, 08:26 AM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meistertek
antennahead, That paint job is awesome! how did you apply it and what kind of paint did you use?

I just cut the mask for the flames out of blue foam (protection board from lowes) pinned it to the wing on one side, sprayed, then flipped it over to spray the other side of the wing. then for the skulls, I used some temporary tattoo stencils I had laying around. I used parma fascolor rc car paints cause they are water based and won't melt the foam and come in some pretty cool colors.
Last edited by antennahead; Jun 23, 2009 at 08:34 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 09:14 AM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,169 Posts
Antennahead,

Beautiful! By far the best looking KESL to date! Looking forward to your flight report.

RdJay
rdjay is offline Find More Posts by rdjay
Old Jun 23, 2009, 01:28 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,280 Posts
Just got back from the field. Nalepa was flying his KESL just as I was unloading all of my stuff, so once I got it all set up I had him go over the setup and let him do the maiden. we had to do a little adjustment on the elevons, then I tossed it into the air for him, he did a few laps around the field, after slight trim adjustments he thought it was flying very well, but a little sensitive on the elevator and thought it needed a little more weight in the nose ( I had it balanced perfectly neutral ), he brought it in and I put 1/2 ounce of lead in the nose and we tossed it in the air again. this time it tracked like a hound dog, I let him fly out the pack and all he kept saying was how good it flew. I recharged the pack , then it was my turn. He wasn't kidding, this wing flew fantastic! it went where I pointed it, the rolls were axial,fast and controlable, loops could be as tight as I wanted to the point that it would almost flip around on it's own axis.......and this was on low rates set at 70% I have expo set at 10 percent, so I probably will increase this a little bit, For me, the elevator still seems extremely sensitive, so I may tame it down a little after I fly it some more,It flew great right from the start. I'm extremely happy with it.

Current setup,

Main center wing section made from 10mm cellfoam 88
leading edge pieces made from 6mm white depron
winglets made from 6mm grey depron
turnigy 15amp esc
24 gram hextronic 1700 kv "blue wonder"
hyperion g3 1100 3 cell
gws 8043 prop on a prop saver
hxt 900 servos
futaba 6ex 2.4.
Last edited by antennahead; Jun 23, 2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 01:47 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,184 Posts
[QUOTE=antennahead]Just got back from the field. Nalepa was flying his KESL just as I was unloading all of my stuff, so once I got it all set up I had him go over the setup and let him do the maiden. we had to do a little adjustment on the elevons, then I tossed it into the air for him, he did a few laps around the field, after slight trim adjustments he thought it was flying very well, but a little sensitive on the elevator and thought it needed a little more weight in the nose ( I had it balanced perfectly neutral ), he brought it in and I put 1/2 ounce of lead in the nose and we tossed it in the air again. this time it tracked like a hound dog, I let him fly out the pack and all he kept saying was how good it flew. I recharged the pack , then it was my turn. He wasn't kidding, this wing flew fantastic! it went where I pointed it, the rolls were axial,fast and controlable, loops could be as tight as I wanted to the point that it would almost flip around on it's own axis.......and this was on low rates set at 70% I have expo set at 10 percent, so I probably will increase this a little bit, For me, the elevator still seems extremely sensitive, so I may tame it down a little after I fly it some more,It flew great right from the start. I'm extremely happy with it.

I loved the "tracking like a hound dog" line. I'm thrilled that there is another KESL wing slip-sliding through the air.
Dickeroo is offline Find More Posts by Dickeroo
Old Jun 23, 2009, 04:32 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,169 Posts
Glad it's what you were looking for Antennahead. Sounds like most of these KESL wings fly very much alike. Mine is "sensitive" on elevator as well, I have my expo at 50% (maybe even 60%) to tame it down but at slow speed those big surfaces and large throws give good control.

I've been busy on another build and some home remodel projects but want to move my servos out and possibly try some reinforcing to strengthen my wing. I've been hesitant to add weight but it seems that others fly fine heavier. I can always build another light floater in the future if I don't like it after the mod. Another of the joys of building with foam!

RdJay
Old Jun 23, 2009, 05:01 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,280 Posts
dickeroo, this is the third KESL in the club that is flying, the edf version is in process, and after Nalepa flew mine, it looks like he will be building another one with a setup more like meistertek and mine. I don't know if anyone else is building one but this club has definatly found out that this wing is alot of fun and the build is quick and cheap, I almost feel guilty because it was so easy to build such a fun airplane.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 05:33 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjay
Glad it's what you were looking for Antennahead. Sounds like most of these KESL wings fly very much alike. Mine is "sensitive" on elevator as well, I have my expo at 50% (maybe even 60%) to tame it down but at slow speed those big surfaces and large throws give good control.
RdJay

Ok, you wanted to know how this flies compared to my swift, well, my swift is about 8 months old. the swift floats really nice, but my KESL floats even better. Probably due to the fact that the swift is a lot heavier, not sure how much heavier, I have to get the swift on the scale to see. when I built my swift, I installed 2 -5mm carbon rods for reinforcment,however I probably didn't need it. I had alot of problems getting the swift to fly the way I liked resulting in crashes that broke in in 3 pieces......2 times and two pieces at least once resulting in alot of glue to put it back together, resulting in more weight. The reasons I feel I had problems getting the swift setup to fly the way I liked are:

The motor mounts above the thrust line of the wing resulting in sometimes wild pitch changes at diffferent throttle settings.

the instructions have you glue the winglets even with the bottom of the wing, once I glued some small depron extentions below the wing, it was more stable

it doesn't roll as axialy because the EPP of the wing is the hinge for the elevons, it takes alot of servo torque to get the elevons to move, but when they do, the EPP is so stiff that only the inner part of the elevon actually moves and the outer part (closer to the wing tips) hardly moves at all.

The swift is a good flying wing, but it took me a long time to get it to this point.....and it still doesn't roll axialy like my KESL does. the swift just does these huge barrel rolls and I'm never sure where the thing will end up at the end of the roll, where my KESL rolls a few times, doesn't require climbing first before rolling and it ends the roll, or rolls at the same altitude and in the same direction.
My KESL exhibits No pitch changes depending on throttle position because the motor is inline with the thust angle of the wing.
The KESL makes me more confidant when flying because it stays where I point it, and like Nalepa told me, I will learn alot more, alot faster, flying this wing.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 06:17 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,280 Posts
I was just sitting here, looking at my KESL and was wondering, the main center wing section is made from 10mm foam and my elevons are made from 6mm foam that are taped flush with the top of the 10mm center section, efectively making a secondary 4mm kf step on the bottom of the trailing edge of the wing..........wonder how this affects the flight charicteristics as oposed to having the elevons even with both the top and botttom of the back of the center wing section?
Old Jun 23, 2009, 08:10 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead
I was just sitting here, looking at my KESL and was wondering, the main center wing section is made from 10mm foam and my elevons are made from 6mm foam that are taped flush with the top of the 10mm center section, efectively making a secondary 4mm kf step on the bottom of the trailing edge of the wing..........wonder how this affects the flight charicteristics as oposed to having the elevons even with both the top and botttom of the back of the center wing section?
Part of the fun of the KFm airfoil concept is that you can try many different positions for the step or steps and they all seem to work. The whole idea is to trap a vortex that attaches itself to the airfoil and becomes a part of the airfoil. With the KFm4 airfoil, 50% of this airfoil is air against air which helps reduce the drag because there is no direct contact with the surrounding air. This is just my opinion, not fact, but I think I am right because it moves faster through the air than the other configurations. The nice part is that there is a lot or room to experiment and play with the basic concept.

Jackerbes, in building a KFm2 where the step should be at 50% on top, cut it out where the step ended up at 84% and it flew just fine. Go figure.

I really enjoy seeing you guys having a ball. Its taken forty years for me to get people to try the KFm concept and thanks to the many RC guys who were willing to give it a shot, I will be eternally grateful. The wait has been worth it. The reactions over the years were "Nah, too much drag." "That thing won't fly."
Dickeroo is offline Find More Posts by Dickeroo
Old Jun 24, 2009, 01:56 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead
The only way to find out for sure would be to change the elevons to 10mm and see if it changes. My guess (and it is only a guess!) is that it will make some change, maybe not significant but it should affect the airfoil.

Thanks for the comparison with the Swift II, scratch builders looking for something "Swift Like" should appreciate your thoughts. In fact that's why I built the KESL in the first place. I like the building more than spending $.

RdJay
Old Jun 27, 2009, 09:19 PM
Rain or shine, wind or calm
Palatine
Joined Jul 2007
364 Posts
I started my build, I will post pics shortly. I scaled down the plans to make a 24" wing. I don't want to say it, but it looks promising!!!
typhoonmaster is offline Find More Posts by typhoonmaster
Old Jun 27, 2009, 10:46 PM
Rain or shine, wind or calm
Palatine
Joined Jul 2007
364 Posts
As promised:

Power system: 2700kv Turnigy Inrunner, APC 4.75 x 4.75. Max amps is 20a.

She shall maiden tomorrow morn'!
typhoonmaster is offline Find More Posts by typhoonmaster
Old Jun 28, 2009, 09:41 AM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoonmaster
As promised:

Power system: 2700kv Turnigy Inrunner, APC 4.75 x 4.75. Max amps is 20a.

She shall maiden tomorrow morn'!

typhoonmaster, looks like a nice build, It looks like it'll be a rocket with that motor. let us know how it flies.