SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 12, 2009, 11:13 AM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,209 Posts
Meister Tek,

Great video! Thanks for sharing. Your wing flies fantastic. I sent a pm to Mr. Kline letting him know about your video.

Would love to see pictures of the mods (including the clear canopy!).

Also a big thanks for the tiled plans. My computer drawing skills are very limited, these should help anyone who wants to do this build.

RdJay
rdjay is offline Find More Posts by rdjay
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2009, 07:58 PM
Giant Squid Aviation Works
Chicago
Joined Jun 2007
73 Posts
RdJay,

Thanks for the compliments on the video. I also received a nice e-mail from Mr. Kline, which was really cool! I think the KFm4 foil flies very well on the KESL wing.

We'll be posting photos of the second KESL wing our club has built soon, actually the maiden will be tomorrow. Glad to help out with the tiled plans.
meistertek is offline Find More Posts by meistertek
Old Jun 14, 2009, 10:49 PM
Chicago
Joined Jun 2007
73 Posts
Here is a video and some photos of a high powered KESL a buddy of mine built and flew this weekend. It flies great and freakin fast.

Power is supplied by a E-Flite 480 Outrunner with a 10x5 APC propeller, 2300 mAh 3S Lipo, 45Amp Scorpion Speed Control. 26oz All Up Weight.

Nalepa's High Power KESL (4 min 52 sec)
Last edited by meistertek; Jun 17, 2009 at 05:32 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 10:17 AM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,209 Posts
Meister Tek,

Thanks for the video and pictures. Your buddy's wing flies great. Another testament to the versatility of the KFm4 wing. It handles the speed and weight great. At that speed you must have the throws set pretty short. Could probably even use smaller elevons in this "high speed" version.

What type of foam (epp/depron/fff/etc) was used? And is there some type of "glassing" used to stiffen the wing?

RdJay
Old Jun 15, 2009, 09:25 PM
Chicago
Joined Jun 2007
73 Posts
RdJay,

This wing was made entirely of grey depron and then painted black. Also the center piece of the wing goes all the way to the leading edge, then the three layer thick KF was sanded sanded to create the rounded leading edge. In the video you can see that color kevlar mat was used for decoration as well as reinforcement. The hinges for the control surfaces are drywall fiber tape , glued on with CA glue. I think there is one carbon rod embedded across the middle of the wing section. It's really surprising how strong this wing can be and how much power it can take without breaking up or the control surfaces fluttering. The control surfaces are almost the same size and have a decent amount of throw, which you can see in the beginning of the video, they hold up well and really whip the wing around when cranked.
Last edited by meistertek; Jun 17, 2009 at 05:49 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 09:39 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,194 Posts
I thought that this plane looked so cool that I had to clean up the background so it stands out the way it deserves.
Dickeroo is online now Find More Posts by Dickeroo
Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:55 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,298 Posts
There's a new KESL born in chicago, just needing electronic instalation and some decoration. this will make three KESL's in the club. but don't tell meistertek, His KESL is the proud father........strange things have been known to happen in the club house when we're not looking
antennahead is offline Find More Posts by antennahead
Old Jun 19, 2009, 09:41 AM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,209 Posts
Very nice Antennahead!

Looking forward to hearing your flight report. I'm curious if your winglets will behave any different without any below the wing. I like your look better but I'd read that having some below helps handling.

Mine's in the truck for some flying after work today if the weather clears. I'm planning on moving my servos out to the center of the elevons and "square" with the hinge line (like Nalepa's) to see if it helps with my high speed control issues. Also considering "glassing" with WPU. Never done any glassing so thought it might be a fun experiment.

I'll try to keep your secret but in the interest of "genetic diversity" it sounds like your club house needs a chaperone!

RdJay

Ps: Great picture editing Dickeroo! You are right that wing looks wicked.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 12:30 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjay
Very nice Antennahead!

Looking forward to hearing your flight report. I'm curious if your winglets will behave any different without any below the wing. I like your look better but I'd read that having some below helps handling.

RdJay

Rdjay, Its a bad pic, but if you look close at the trailing edge you can see where the elevon is poking out from behined the winglet, so there actualy is about half of the winglet above and half below the trailing edge of the wing. I made the mistake of gluing the winglets even with the bottom of the wing on my swift, and never liked the way it flew until I put some extensions on the winglets to extend them below the wing. It did'nt take much,only about 3mm below the wing to get it to fly really nice.
antennahead is offline Find More Posts by antennahead
Old Jun 19, 2009, 01:44 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,209 Posts
I see it now, they do hang below. Since you've had a Swift I'll be interested to hear how you think they compare.

RdJay
Old Jun 19, 2009, 04:06 PM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Nice vids, and a smooth flying machine!

I'd like to make one out of blucor, 32", where is the balance point?

I like the canopy mod too!

paul
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond
Old Jun 21, 2009, 07:55 PM
Chicago
Joined Jun 2007
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by praymond
...I'd like to make one out of blucor, 32", where is the balance point?
Praymond most of us have been running the balance point at 8.5" from the point of the wing like RdJay suggests. Mine flies so well at 8.5" I never bothered to try any other balance point.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 11:31 PM
Chicago
Joined Jun 2007
73 Posts
Antennahead, Your new KESL looks sweet, I especially like the different shape winglets! Can't wait to see it at the field.

I think the club house will be producing another mutated KESL sibling soon... the Ducted Fan KESL!!

Here are some previews of the horrors to come:
Old Jun 22, 2009, 12:19 AM
Chicago
Joined Jun 2007
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickeroo
I thought that this plane looked so cool that I had to clean up the background so it stands out the way it deserves.
Thanks Dickeroo! Nalepa the builder of the high power KESL said "Fantastic!" about the photo you cleaned up.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:19 AM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meistertek
I think the club house will be producing another mutated KESL sibling soon... the Ducted Fan KESL!!

Here are some previews of the horrors to come:
Oh no...............when will this all end!!!!!!

Looks great, can't wait to hear the report!

RdJay