HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2009, 11:12 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,225 Posts
Daddy-O,

Good luck with your build. Looking forward to pictures and video.

RdJay
rdjay is offline Find More Posts by rdjay
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2009, 07:05 AM
7up
,ɯǝ ʇoƃ ɐʎ ɟı ,ɯǝ ǝʞoɯs
USA, KY, West Liberty
Joined Jun 2001
1,154 Posts
Nice job!
7up is offline Find More Posts by 7up
Old May 04, 2009, 08:36 PM
Onward through the fog.
Bohol Philippines
Joined Aug 2008
1,566 Posts
Look real promising.

Nice job on the wing.

I havn't built an EPP wing yet but I fly a Zagnutz and love it. I think your wing is a bit more versitile and I'm thinking seriously about one. My Zag is 48" with a EMax 2822 pushing an 8x4 prop with a 3s 1000mah batt. It's white foam, the crumbly stuff. I have wall insulation foam that I will use to build a KESL 32. I'll try one of my Blue Wonder motors on it with an 8x6 prop on a 800mah 3s. that will give about 8 minute flights at 100Watts+ Should work.

I loved the video, man!

Wings Rule!!!

Mabuhay from PI.
Steve.
Cybernaught is offline Find More Posts by Cybernaught
Old May 05, 2009, 12:06 AM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,225 Posts
Good luck with the KESL wing Steve. Looking forward to pictures and a report. Watch the amps on the Blue Wonder with that prop.

This thing slows down real nice and glides great. Have fun!

RdJay
Old May 05, 2009, 01:14 AM
Onward through the fog.
Bohol Philippines
Joined Aug 2008
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjay
Good luck with the KESL wing Steve. Looking forward to pictures and a report. Watch the amps on the Blue Wonder with that prop.

This thing slows down real nice and glides great. Have fun!

RdJay
I have to put a couple of tractor planes in mothballs first to freeup a bit of equipment but I'll get that done today.

My BW hits about 9.7A on WOT with a 3s and 8x6. That's static on the test stand. I figure 1/2 throttle for most flying. I could go with the same stuff on a BP21 for about 200W. Hee hee.

This will be my first effort with the new foam so I'll be taking my time. I hope to make it pretty well bullet proof. I love the Zagnutz but would like something a bit smaller with a better roll rate.

We'll see how it goes and I'll post pix and a vid of the maiden when I'm done.

Happy landings,
Steve.
Cybernaught is offline Find More Posts by Cybernaught
Old May 13, 2009, 12:33 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,225 Posts
Got my HXT900 servos from HC (finally!) and installed. Definitely made an improvement. Longer throws and more power.

New 800mah, 3 cell batteries really make this thing scoot. For higher speed flying I set the low rates to 50% and it handles great. Flip to high (100%) for slow speed and have tons of control.

Also received a 1500kv BW motor with the servos. It's installed but haven't flown with it yet. With a 7x6 prop it draws ~11A static, maybe a little high for this motor but I'm hoping if I keep my left thumb under control that with unloading and lots of air flow over the motor it will be ok.

Anyone build/building one of these yet?

RdJay
Old May 15, 2009, 12:08 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,225 Posts
Installed the 1500kV BW and this baby scoots along as fast as I want it to. Flew 6 (mixed speed) minutes and put 500mah back into my battery so it's averaging 5 amps with the 7 x 6 prop. Came down with motor and esc nice and cool, battery just barely warm.

I'm loosing some control at higher speed and think I was getting control rod flex. I added a support last night and they feel nice and stout now. Also moved to a lower hole on the servo arm to get a bit more torque since I wasn't using the full travel anyway. These big elevons take some power to move at high speed but are great when going slow for control. I'm using dual rates and it helps big time.

RdJay
Old May 15, 2009, 03:55 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjay
Installed the 1500kV BW and this baby scoots along as fast as I want it to. Flew 6 (mixed speed) minutes and put 500mah back into my battery so it's averaging 5 amps with the 7 x 6 prop. Came down with motor and esc nice and cool, battery just barely warm.

I'm loosing some control at higher speed and think I was getting control rod flex. I added a support last night and they feel nice and stout now. Also moved to a lower hole on the servo arm to get a bit more torque since I wasn't using the full travel anyway. These big elevons take some power to move at high speed but are great when going slow for control. I'm using dual rates and it helps big time.

RdJay
Rick ... any chance of getting a video of your beefed up bird?
Dickeroo is offline Find More Posts by Dickeroo
Old May 15, 2009, 05:19 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,225 Posts
Dick,

I'll crank up the "hat cam" again in the next few days and see if I can get anything worthwhile.

RdJay
Old May 15, 2009, 06:55 PM
John 3:16
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
I am going to build this plane, but I cannot get to it yet. I am very busy with work right now, and have a trip to the states planned at the end of the month. I will be swamped with work when I get back for about a week afterwards. I have two builds before this one. One is a Superfly which will only take a few hours, but the other will take me a couple of days (maybe three) to get it right. After that, I really want to build and fly this wing. I really like the flight characteristics of this wing that you demonstrated in the first video. I'm surprised some other people haven't already made one. The build looks very easy. I'll be back.
Daddy-O
Daddy-O is offline Find More Posts by Daddy-O
Old Jun 06, 2009, 11:45 PM
Giant Squid Aviation Works
Chicago
Joined Jun 2007
73 Posts
rdjay, Thanks for sharing the details of your KESL wing. I built one today in six easy hours and flew it at our local RC club and the park this evening and it flies just like the one in your video. This wing design and the way it flies is awesome, everyone at my club could not believe how well this wing flies! I only added a few clicks of trim on the maiden and I was swooping trough loops and rolls in no time! Here are some details of my build:

E-Flite Park 300 1380Kv Brushless Outrunner
Castle Thunderbird 18 Speed Control
600mAh 3cell 16C Lipo Dualsky (works really nice and puts out a max of 100watts or 9.8Amps during flight)
GWS 7x6 prop
2 Hitec HS-55 Servos
Flying Weight 10.7oz (303g)

6mm Black foam: Depron main wing winglets and center top reinforcement plate.
.250" Blue foam: Dow Protection Board III for KF sections and bottom center reinforcement plate.
3M Transpore Tape was used for the control surface hinges.\
Dubro control horns and
Only reinforcement is, clear packaging tape, and filament tape, hot glued everything together except the wood motor mount plate, that was epoxied in place.
meistertek is offline Find More Posts by meistertek
Last edited by meistertek; Jun 07, 2009 at 12:39 AM.
Old Jun 06, 2009, 11:56 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,225 Posts
Meistertek,

Great looking build and thanks for the pictures. Glad it worked out well for you. With that battery exposed on the bottom do you have and landing issues or do you just catch it? I'd have orientation trouble, are you planning on any paint/color?

I'm still flying mine quite a bit. It's great unless I get it going too fast and then my epp starts to flex and I loose elevon authority. I'd be interested in how yours handles in a high speed dive.

RdJay
Old Jun 07, 2009, 12:06 AM
Chicago
Joined Jun 2007
73 Posts
RdJay,

Mine does not flutter at all in a high speed dive, I think the depron stiffness, linkage reinforcement and hinge tape tape are all working together to prevent flutter. I also have no leading edge dowel and there seems to be no problem with stiffness. The only indication I have of orientation is the blue reinforcement section, I do get disoriented occasionally, so I'm thinking of adding some kind of graphic to the bottom.

The winglets seem to protect the battery from being knocked off during landings in grass. I do plan on cutting a pocket as soon as I am sure of the pack size I want to fly with. I also plan on pocketing the receiver.

This wing is so easy to build and flies so well I am surprised more people haven't built it!
Last edited by meistertek; Jun 07, 2009 at 12:32 AM.
Old Jun 08, 2009, 08:12 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,225 Posts
Sounds great.

There's a few nice wings out there, this is another but it is a nice size, an easy build and makes a great flyer.

Seems like once a few people start building these threads will take off.

RdJay
Old Jun 12, 2009, 12:11 AM
Chicago
Joined Jun 2007
73 Posts
Here is a video of my KESL in flight with a Swift II:

KESL and Swift II Flying Wings (7 min 55 sec)

After bringing the KESL to a club meeting and the members seeing it in flight a bunch of guys are interested in building one. Actually one member already has one built with some modifications, including a clear canopy!