HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2009, 08:47 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,194 Posts
Got a chance to fly my original (less wing tips) today for a few minutes. I think I like mine better with the fins. There was a bit of breeze, maybe 10 mph but not bad. It seemed to get blown around quite allot and wasn't as "stable".

I just glued some new ones on, will fly with again in a few days to see the result.

RdJay
rdjay is offline Find More Posts by rdjay
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2009, 05:13 PM
northenden, manchester, england
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
ok folks i just finished making my 36" KESEL, and it balances lovley, i have put some pic's on for you to look at, i have put a blue wonder 1500 Kv on her, with a 8x3 APC, but may try a 9x4 slowfly orange prop, still waiting for the UK weather to ease, at the moment we are having gales, and none stop rain , so having to wait to maiden it, my AUW is 12 oz
carl
doggit is offline Find More Posts by doggit
Old Nov 24, 2009, 05:51 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,194 Posts
Looking good Carl. I used a similar bay cut out with the thin plastic on the bottom. It is amazingly strong.

To cover the top of the bay or not? I'd say don't worry about it unless you are looking for the most speed or longest flight times as I think it would reduce drag a bit. Nice thing about open is keeps the parts cooler.

Weather sucks this part of the world too. We have a 4 day weekend coming up (Thanksgiving on Thursday) so hopefully will get a chance to fly some and test out my new tips!

RdJay
Old Nov 25, 2009, 06:04 AM
nickeast
Stuart,FL
Joined Mar 2009
557 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving to all....
nickeast is offline Find More Posts by nickeast
Old Nov 28, 2009, 10:22 AM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,194 Posts
Had great weather yesterday so go a chance to get out and fly.

Flew the KESL with the wing tips back on and like it much better. I had some coroplast tips laying on my bench from a previous build so cut them down a little and used them. It is much more stable and I think it even floats a bit better. Lots of fun. Stuck my "key chain camera" on the nose for a few minutes, got some decent video. Will post if anyone is interested.

RdJay
Old Nov 28, 2009, 11:34 AM
nickeast
Stuart,FL
Joined Mar 2009
557 Posts
RDJay,

I would like to see the ersults on the vidio.... working on something similar. How did you mount it?

Nick
Old Nov 28, 2009, 02:11 PM
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
hi rdjay, i would really like to watch your video, sadly i am still waiting to maiden the 36" kesel, still not had a break in the weather, but fingers crossed some time soon it will ease up, and i have also used the keychain camera on the wng, i just velcroed it on a slightly downwards angle, and it seemed to get good video, i also tried putting it on the back of the kesel, i have put the back view on here
carl

KFm4 kesel 32" wing, keychain camera mounted on the back (2 min 20 sec)
Old Nov 30, 2009, 06:34 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,194 Posts
Nick, I just taped it on the nose with some strapping tape, quick and easy.

Doggit, like the rear video, good flying! What comes down over about the top 1/4 of the frame towards the end?

Something strange happened to my KESL video from Friday. Windows won't play it (some lame error) but it plays fine with Quick Time. I took another yesterday in less perfect (bit windy) weather, it seems to be working fine. I'll get it uploaded to Vimeo tomorrow and post a link.

RdJay
Last edited by rdjay; Nov 30, 2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 10:15 PM
Giant Squid Aviation Works
Chicago
Joined Jun 2007
73 Posts
Hey guys, I took the wing tips off my KESL. I have to tell you I do not like them off . It seems like my rolls are much slower now. The wing is also pitch sensitive (maybe I should redo the CG?) It also seems like I spend a lot of time correcting for the wing twisting left and right in the wind which is weird to do with only elevons and no rudder. I also notice that the wing will rock and twist coming out of a loop or roll without the wing tips.

One good thing about tipless though: to me it does seem like the wing glides better. It's also cool to see it flying without the wing tips too, it's weird to see something fly without any vertical surfaces.

I would definitely not recommend a first time wing flier to skip the wing tips on the KESL.
meistertek is offline Find More Posts by meistertek
Old Dec 01, 2009, 09:28 AM
nickeast
Stuart,FL
Joined Mar 2009
557 Posts
Meistertek,

Congrats on the wing...the cool factor w/o wingtips is a plus, but you are correct in that thay add to total performance. You mentioned several posts back about my motor being forward.... and I was wondering what your thoughts were? My KESL2 is in the final stages and it will be alot cleaner than #1...before I go any further I would appreciate your input on this. RDJay I"m doing some of the same stuff you to bury servos,etc but also trying to come up with a cockpit.

Anyway things are moving a little slowly right now, had some shoulder surgery done 8 days ago, and just can't seem to get the right arm to be normal yet.... So everybody keep the posts coming.... I'm living through them at the moment...

Nick
Old Dec 01, 2009, 03:11 PM
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
hey RDjay, glad you liked the rear video, and the thing that appears near the end was just one of the wires from the motor, i just taped them down, but the tape came unstuck and the wire moved, well i am still waiting for this crappy uk weather to break, so i can try my 36",

meistertek, so you didnt like the tipless wing, maybe if i percivere with the tips on i may get use to it, and on my 36" kesel i am trying the similar cut on the end of the wings as the assissin not sure how its going to go, as i said above the weather is wet and windy, so still not maidened, hopefuly i can maiden it at the weekend and get some video
carl
Old Dec 01, 2009, 04:08 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,194 Posts
Yep, I'm sold the tips help. Here's a video from the nose with the key chain camera.

KESL Onboad (5 min 43 sec)

Wind was blowing (5-10mph I'd guess) but the wing handled it fine although a little "bumpy".

I'm going to experiment with the focus on the camera, seems it could be a bit sharper.

RdJay
Old Dec 01, 2009, 04:29 PM
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
hey RDjay thats an amazing video, and i am still dizzy i liked your low passes, and thats a nice big flying area you have, it has made me want to get my 36er out now, and your camera seems to have a good focus on it, and you got some high flights on the kesel, cant wait for some more of your videos
carl
Old Dec 01, 2009, 05:52 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,194 Posts
Thanks, the one low pass about 2/3 through (right before the fade) almost ran into myself! Focusing on the wing and forgot it was headed right at my nose! I ducked out of the way and ended up skidding across the track.

That school field is pretty big and real and close to home. Bigger fields farther away, wish the video from last Friday worked, it was at a huge area, nicer weather, lots better, oh well. Will do more as time/weather permits.

And Nick, get that arm healed up and get out flying!

RdJay
Old Dec 02, 2009, 07:28 PM
Giant Squid Aviation Works
Chicago
Joined Jun 2007
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeast View Post
... You mentioned several posts back about my motor being forward.... and I was wondering what your thoughts were?...
Hey Nick, I would think that moving the motor forward would be fine if it's required to balance at the recommended CG of 8.5" Doggit however said he did not like the performance of his wing with the motor in the middle, so maybe there is a point where the motor would be too far forward. All my KESLs so far have the motor in the stock plan location except the ducted fan KESL that had the motor pretty close to the CG.

Hope your are heals up quickly man!
meistertek is offline Find More Posts by meistertek