HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2009, 09:44 AM
nickeast
Stuart,FL
Joined Mar 2009
557 Posts
RDJay,

Here are the pictures of the finished KESL. This is my first build of this model and I have 2 more cut out. One is for a buddy and the other is for me. The next model will be "cleaner" than the first. Same everything except that now I know where the hardware goes for proper C/G. I'll build some sort of fusealage to cover everything and blend it in with the rest of the foam. As far as the wing tips go, I think they add to the KFm4 airfoil by keeping airflow on the wing. This aids in the slow flight stability and the broad range of speed this wing is capable of.

Thanks again for a great design....

Nick
nickeast is offline Find More Posts by nickeast
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2009, 09:47 AM
nickeast
Stuart,FL
Joined Mar 2009
557 Posts
Here are the pictures... missed them in above post

Nick
Old Nov 15, 2009, 11:25 PM
Giant Squid Aviation Works
Chicago
Joined Jun 2007
73 Posts
Like the colors on your KESL Nick! Did you move the 250 motor forward to help the balance?
meistertek is offline Find More Posts by meistertek
Old Nov 16, 2009, 07:26 AM
nickeast
Stuart,FL
Joined Mar 2009
557 Posts
Hi

Not really just followed the plans.... and cut all the way to the "V'. That put the motor forward a bit but the C/G was easy to obtain. It flies well... I'm doing the next one the same.... unless there is a good reason not to... any suggestions are appreciated...

Nick
Old Nov 16, 2009, 05:41 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,169 Posts
Dave,

Thanks for the drawing. That's pretty much what I did in the beginning, just followed a picture. Not sure why my elevons came out bigger but they work fine.

Nick,

Your wing looks great. If you look at my pictures early in the thread you'll see how I pretty much got all the electronics buried in the wing. I've used this technique (plastic sheet bottom, coroplast top) on a couple of builds since this one and really like it. It's amazingly strong and really doesn't add much weight. This keeps it pretty clean and helps the glide I think.

Unfortunately the weather/darkness/life have kept me from flying mine any more. I really want to fly it again without the tips to see how it handles. I tend to think you are right in them keeping the air on the wing better but it's interesting to experiment.

RdJay
rdjay is offline Find More Posts by rdjay
Old Nov 17, 2009, 08:22 AM
nickeast
Stuart,FL
Joined Mar 2009
557 Posts
RDJay,

Flew yesterday in some 10 to 15mph winds. The plan was stable but it of course was being tossed around. I never felt that it was about to do any thing unusual. That was said to bring up the point about the wing tips... the approach for landing was stable at speed (needed some to get to the LZ) but as I approached the Touch down zone all I had to do was increase AOA and reduce power slightly... with a 10 mph wind the plane just hovered and a little power reduction a slow descent to the ground with zero ground speed and it was stable all the way. This wing is almost like the old "free flights" all the controls do is just change the flight path. If anyone is interested in trying a first wing then this one is it.

Nick
Old Nov 17, 2009, 09:25 AM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,169 Posts
Nick,

That's exactly how mine flew with the tips. As soon as I can try it more without I'll let you know my thoughts.

This wing has a pretty large speed range. It's no 100+mph wing but if reinforced a bit it will go plenty fast for the local park. The great thing is even heavier it still slows down nicely and handles well. Lots of fun!

RdJay
Old Nov 19, 2009, 12:36 PM
northenden, manchester, england
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
hey RDjay, just for my own curiosity i have been at the 42" with a knife, i have moved the motor into the middle of the wing and cut out a slot, kinda like the superfly, i have added a couple of photo's, i know the wing looks battered and bruised, but just wanted your expert opinion on it, not the build, but the concept good or bad, fly or no fly
carl
doggit is offline Find More Posts by doggit
Old Nov 19, 2009, 01:25 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggit View Post
hey RDjay, just for my own curiosity i have been at the 42" with a knife, i have moved the motor into the middle of the wing and cut out a slot, kinda like the superfly, i have added a couple of photo's, i know the wing looks battered and bruised, but just wanted your expert opinion on it, not the build, but the concept good or bad, fly or no fly
carl
Carl,

Here's my thoughts (certainly not "expert"!). The Superfly and other work great with the mid motor. I think the main advantage of the mid mount is that you get prop thrust directly across the elevons. This makes them very easy to control, even at low speed as long as the motor is moving air.

The other advantage is for balance if this is an issue. Often wings are hard to get enough weight forward but I've not had this problem with the KESL so it may not apply here.

The main disadvantage is that the thrust is "disturbed" by the foam behind the slot. This reduces the motor efficiency, by how much I don't really know but my gut (and mid mount plane experience) says not a whole bunch. It think the slot also "weakens" an airframe so more bracing may be needed.

The ultimate may be mid mount and then extend the elevons all the way to the center, that could be a "wild ride"

Let us know how it works, these experiments are at least half the fun!

RdJay
Old Nov 19, 2009, 01:38 PM
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
thanks for that RDjay, i will try to get this in the air soon, with the elevons as they are, but i will cut a set of elevons the whole length so they meet if i am getting your meaning correct, but wont they be a bit wobbly as they wont be attached to the body of the wing on the extended bits, am i correct or have i missunderstood ?
carl
Old Nov 19, 2009, 04:22 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,169 Posts
You are correct, I doubt they will work unless supported all the way. The "body" of the wing should follow the hinge line all the way to the center instead of straight across like you are doing on the piece you added.

RdJay
Old Nov 20, 2009, 02:25 AM
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
thanks RDJay, i have now added a section to the wing, i think it should be quite secure as its glued and taped, and am just going to make some new elevons, one set the normal size, and a longer set, and if it proves a good idea to mid mount the motor, then i will build a new one, here are a couple of pictures
carl
Old Nov 20, 2009, 06:12 AM
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
well i just got back from the field, and all i can say is this wing hated the mid mounted motor, it flew like a pig, and i think this design was meant to be a back pusher, so i have decided to to the planet a big favour and recycle, , it will be my excuse to make another, but i am thinking maybe a 36" this time, and i am going to tape all the parts before i even glue them, i think it will help a lot with making the wing more rigid without using CF rods, so its goodbye to the old 42" and welcome to the not yet made 36", once i build and maiden i will give a report
carl
Old Nov 21, 2009, 02:56 PM
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
i have put together a 36" KESEL, and as i said i taped the parts before glue, i am back to work tomorrow ( sunday ) so will not get time to add motor ect till thursday i have also tried the assissin finless cut on the corners, and thought i would try the overlap, underlap type of taping the elevond on, cant wait to get it tried
carl
Old Nov 21, 2009, 08:03 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,169 Posts
Sorry the big guy didn't work out. I guess the wing guys know something about these things keeping the prop at the back.

Looking forward to seeing the results of the new wing.

RdJay