HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2009, 03:12 AM
Florida
Joined Dec 2001
352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjay View Post
Hey Carl,

It's interesting you increased the wing span by over 30% which increased the surface area by 64% but the weight only went up 18%.

RdJay
That's normal. A good rule of thumb is to make a plane lighter, make it bigger.
CafeenMan is offline Find More Posts by CafeenMan
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2009, 09:25 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Food for thought on the fins...

Today, over at the JR Indoor, I flew my Swift II. It's suing the ultra-light setup I cam up witha while back... a 2730/1500, 8x6, 2s1000 (only needs 2s500 or so for the 8a, but needs the weight to balance). I modified the mounts and such on these (I built 10 of them) to move themotor weight as far forward as possible.

Anyway, I was cruising at 1/5 throttle most of the event, and one of my fins got chopped of after a couple of minutes. At this slow speed, it was real squirley around stall, compared to normal. At high speed, it flew fine... Just right around stall, where the Swift II is usually pretty docile, it wanted to do stupid stuff.

So, you might want to check low speed handling with and without the fins, and see if it's similar with the KFm.

I need to buils one of these while I still have a little bit of the original Swift II left, so I can compare!
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Nov 09, 2009, 10:00 AM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,127 Posts
Gene,

Thanks for the input. Interesting observation. I'm curious if the "squirley" behavior might have been from having just one fin? Did you by chance remove the second and fly it?

Between commitments and crappy weather I didn't get a chance to fly my "finless" version anymore this past weekend. It was very stable at low speed with the fins, It will be interesting to see how it handles now. Nice thing is it's easy to add them back on.

I've never owned a Swift II so couldn't compare them, would love to hear you thoughts if you get a chance to build one.

RdJay
rdjay is offline Find More Posts by rdjay
Old Nov 09, 2009, 03:16 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
A buddy found the fin, and I glued it back on before packing for the trip home...

I'm betting that some added stability of this one comes from the slight additional drag of KFm.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Nov 10, 2009, 03:09 PM
"Hechen paja"
Celaya,Guanajuato.Mexico
Joined Feb 2008
92 Posts
Hello friends!!! I have followed your post long and we're a club and I making with two KELS 32'' whith Foambord soon upload photos to share with you greetings from Mexico...
Ramon Zavala is offline Find More Posts by Ramon Zavala
Old Nov 11, 2009, 12:31 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,127 Posts
Ramon,

Looking forward to seeing pictures/videos of a KESL flying in Mexico! Any questions please feel free to ask.

RdJay
Old Nov 12, 2009, 05:08 PM
northenden, manchester, england
Joined May 2009
1,443 Posts
RDjay, i managed to get the 42" kesel up into the air, and although it was gusting 20 + mph winds i thought i may as well try to fly, and i have made a video with my little keyring camera, i have to learn to lighten my thumb stick movements, and this 42" turns on a dime, so i have to be careful with my thumb, although i am not a brillant flyer at the moment i hope you like my little vid, and sorry for the music, it was all i had to hand and the editing was not too clever, only just started using it
carl

kesel 42 (3 min 55 sec)
doggit is offline Find More Posts by doggit
Old Nov 12, 2009, 05:45 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,127 Posts
Carl,

Video looks great! Looks like the 42 is flying quite nice. Couldn't tell for sure, did you end up with small wing tips? I'm betting on a calm day it will just "float" along. If you had a slope or can find some thermals it might stay up for a long time.

I just got one of those keyring cameras a couple days ago. Haven't had a chance to video anything yet (except testing out the window) but for $15.00 they are pretty amazing. I found this site - http://www.chucklohr.com/808/ with lots of good info about the camera (like setting the date!). I'm looking forward to taping the camera on my wing and recording a flight.

RdJay
Old Nov 12, 2009, 10:00 PM
"Hechen paja"
Celaya,Guanajuato.Mexico
Joined Feb 2008
92 Posts
tanks!!!

Thank you! Rdjay I upload the pictures soon awaited debut this weekend, the other Kesler's is building another friend I liked the profile KFM will glide mine and my friend will be faster, we hope to fly the two and take own experiences, sorry for my bad English! greetings...
Ramon Zavala is offline Find More Posts by Ramon Zavala
Old Nov 13, 2009, 02:29 AM
Joined May 2009
1,443 Posts
thanks RDjay, it flies better than i thought, now i have the set up almost right, i suppose i could tweek it more, but will leave it as it is for now, just incase i go too far, and if you watch the video up to 1 minute i have small wing tips on, then for the remaining time it is flying tipless, to me i like it tipless, but thats just me, others may prefer to have them, and as i said i am not an experienced windy day flyer, and i think it would make a great sloper ( in the right hands )
i am glad you liked the video of your UK ESEL and your designed wing is truely global
carl
Old Nov 13, 2009, 09:42 PM
Giant Squid Aviation Works
Chicago
Joined Jun 2007
73 Posts
Sweet video Doggit, look like it flies just fine without wing tips! Nothing wrong with a little Morrisey! Now I am tempted to build a 42"er! My 16" KESL is way underpowered and I can't keep it airborn
meistertek is offline Find More Posts by meistertek
Old Nov 14, 2009, 06:20 AM
Joined May 2009
1,443 Posts
thanks meistertek, glad you like the 42' er and it was really windy on that day, but still managed a good fly, i think it will fly really great with a windless day, and i can see it just floating around once you cut the motor, i am still learning to glide around, but in the hands of a pro glider this will never want to touch the ground, i would say go ahead and build one, mine is 6mm depron, i am looking forward to your responces once you get it built
carl
Old Nov 14, 2009, 11:25 AM
nickeast
Stuart,FL
Joined Mar 2009
557 Posts
RDJay,

First of all, thanks for this wing!!!! I have had mine done for a month and many flights. It is better than superb!!! Very stable and can be very SLOOOOW for some real fun. I have the standard 32" with a Park 250... I usually run 2 cell LiPo's (800's) and it just zips or hangs... whatever you want. Here are a few pictures in the build stage... I'll get up some of the finished product ASAP... Thanks Again!!!

Nick
nickeast is offline Find More Posts by nickeast
Old Nov 15, 2009, 12:19 AM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,127 Posts
Glad you like it nickeast. It's an easy build and really does fly nice. Looking forward to seeing the finished picts, video would be great too!

RdJay
Old Nov 15, 2009, 08:22 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,798 Posts
I very much like the swift wing shape and your KFm4 version does the job well..

I have made some lines with dimensions using sketchup .. using The KESL plan drawing.. by using the sketchup program these lines can be easily scaled to any wingspan..

Also I have used an original swift to make another set of lines.. the difference between the two is only in the size of the elevons..the original Swift has slightly smaller elevons..
I much prefer using larger elevons on our zagnutz wings, they let you do a parachute manouver (vertical descent) all nicely stable..
davereap is online now Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Nov 15, 2009 at 08:29 AM.