HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 27, 2009, 01:42 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,178 Posts
Discussion
KFm4-Epp-Swift-Like (KESL) 32" Wing

So I wanted to try a wing but being too "thrifty" to buy one I built a 32" wing based on the Swift II that I've read a lot of good things about.

My only "wing" experience is a Superfly (close) so I don't have much to compare to. This thing isn't overly fast but I think with the right motor and better batteries it will be all I can handle.

Right now with a 1300kW BW motor and tired 800mah 3cells it moves along nice. Handles well and slows way down.

If there is any interest let me know and I can post more pictures and a layout drawing.

RdJay
rdjay is offline Find More Posts by rdjay
Last edited by rdjay; May 03, 2010 at 06:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2009, 02:31 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
RD It looks promising... A smaller version 22" - 24" would be a bit quicker...With an Ele C20.....
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Apr 27, 2009, 02:33 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan
RD It looks promising... A smaller version 22" - 24" would be a bit quicker...
For sure. I was looking for slow/floaty. Could easily be scaled to any size.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 09:25 AM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,178 Posts
Here's the layout drawing and a few of the pictures of the build. Sorry about the black/white pictures, didn't realize my camera could even do that.

I used Scotch Extreme tape for the LE with a small (~1/8") wood dowel, carbon fiber if you've got it. Did the laminating with 3M 77 (works great) and used a bead of Gorilla down the LE.

Elevons are two laminated layers of Dollar Store foam board (paper removed. EPP would probably work well, I just wanted a little stiffer surfaces.

Edit - Tiled plans added on Post 26 - Thanks Meistertek!

Edit - Mini (20" wing span) version plan on Post 309
Last edited by rdjay; Jan 07, 2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 09:37 AM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,178 Posts
I cut the servos just in front of where the middle layer is, poked the wires through the gap. Added a doubler of EPP on the top around the motor, glued (Welders) a piece of plastic under the motor mount on the bottom and a strip of Extreme tape both top/bottom make the motor mount area pretty strong.

I cut a battery/rx bay hole all the way through the wing. On the bottom covered it with thin plastic and tape. Used a piece of coroplast on top to make a "door". Wing tips are about 3-1/2" wide by 11" long centered.

Power is a 1300kv Blue Wonder. I've got a 1500 on order to give a try. Prop is 7 x 6 "APC Style". The only batteries I've got are 800mah, 3 cell that are real "tired". Voltage drops under 10 at about 5 amps. New batteries are on order with the 1500 from HC.

12A ESC, servos are HXT500 but I may change them to HXT900's when my order gets here. EDIT - Stripped out the 500's, switched to 900's.

Pretty simple build and flies great.

RdJay
Last edited by rdjay; May 15, 2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 05:00 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,185 Posts
Any chance you could get a video of your wing in the air?

Is there any chance of getting someone to video it? If you do, try to keep it fairly close in because it is so easy to lose in the sky when its far away. You've done a fine job with this build.
Dickeroo is online now Find More Posts by Dickeroo
Old Apr 28, 2009, 05:39 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,178 Posts
Thank you for the compliment. I'm amazed by how nice this wing flies. And thanks for all you've done for our hobby!

I usually fly alone so video is a little tough. I can try the "hat cam" but as you say it's kinda tough to follow. If I can get something decent I'll post it.

RdJay
Old Apr 29, 2009, 09:28 AM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,178 Posts
A few details I forgot;

Weighs 8 oz without battery, ~10 oz AUW.

With a 800mah battery the cg is 7-3/4" from the nose. Power off glide is constant, slight "down" elevator when inverted to stay level. With a 500mah battery the cg is 8-1/2" from the nose. Glide tucks under pretty severely, inverted takes almost no "down". Floats with power off great.

EDIT - After a bit more flying I'm liking the cg at 8-1/2". Seems pretty forgiving which is not supposed to be "normal" for wings. Another KFm4 property maybe??

RdJay
Last edited by rdjay; May 01, 2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 12:55 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,178 Posts
KESL Video

YouTube Video of wing. Quality not great, used my "hat cam". YouTube muted my audio (song), switched to Vimeo.

RdJay

KESL, 32" RC Wing (4 min 21 sec)
Last edited by rdjay; Apr 30, 2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 01:00 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,185 Posts
Rdjay... that is outstanding. What a great demo of the KFm4 airfoil. She's smooth as silk. Congratulations!
Dickeroo is online now Find More Posts by Dickeroo
Last edited by Dickeroo; Apr 30, 2009 at 01:54 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 01:12 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,178 Posts
Thank you, it (KFm4) is a great design for this wing. There was a bit of wind, maybe 6 - 8 mph kind of swirling around some of those big trees, barely even noticed it.

I'm waiting for new batteries and an 1500kV motor to speed it up just a bit. Also think the cg could go back just a touch, will test some more.

This one will stay in my car for quite awhile (or until I kill it!).

RdJay
Last edited by rdjay; Apr 30, 2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 02:42 PM
Out the Window
United States, FL, Alachua
Joined Jul 2004
1,277 Posts
VERY NICE!!!

I really like your parts bay area! It looks like it would solve a lot of problems. Also like the idea of the reinforced leading edge...I will need that the way I fly! What thickness of EPP did you use for the wing? It sure looks nice and smooth flying. I have not built a aileron airplane before but have been pretty successful with the old RET builds. Do you think this would be a good step up or should I try something more standard? The EPP, quick build and I have a "Blue Wonder" just setting around makes it look tempting!

Thanks for all of the information, you have used a lot of good ideas on your build.

Ray
High Flyin' is offline Find More Posts by High Flyin'
Old Apr 30, 2009, 03:05 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,178 Posts
Ray,

The EPP is 9mm, 1.3#. It actually measures closer to 8mm.

When the cg is right this thing will fly very slow and "goes where you point it". It tracks well and I think will be durable (haven't done much testing of that yet!). Wings/Deltas (elevon control) fly a bit different than RET but for a pretty small investment in both time and $$ you will be heading around that learning curve.

RdJay
Old May 01, 2009, 11:12 AM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,178 Posts
Some good news, and some bad.

Good news is that this wing flies great and continues to exceed my expectations. It's also quite strong, surviving (mostly) acting as a lawn dart.

Bad news is a major crash. Damage is pretty minor needing only about 30 minutes to repair. Both vertical wing tips snapped in two and the prop (held with prop saver) caught the back edge and broke a small 1/2" x 1" piece out and also a rip of about 4" into the wing. All glued back up with Welder and almost as good as new.

The nose/leading edge suffered no damage. The two pieces of epp jointed with Extreme tape, 1/8" dowel and Gorilla glue are really strong.

Cause of crash was both servos stripped. I was going up high and checking out handling while diving at full throttle. First couple of times it was ok. Last time tried to roll, nothing, tried to pull up, doink. Amazing how fast it can happen. I had a feeling when building and looking at the size of the elevons that the 5gr servos were too small but they were all I had. Some 9gr are on the "slow boat" from HC, should be here soon and will be an easy swap.

RdJay
Old May 03, 2009, 08:48 PM
John 3:16
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
I was looking for this build thread after seeing the video (linked to the KFm thread by Dickeroo). I absolutely love your video, and have been wanting the Swift II also, so I have to build this wing. Thank you for posting the plans and the great pictures of your build. They are very helpful. It looks like you have made a great flying wing. Congratulations.
Daddy-O
Daddy-O is offline Find More Posts by Daddy-O