HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 27, 2009, 02:34 PM
Joined Apr 2009
26 Posts
Discussion
Herr Piper Cheroke set up tips

I was wondering if anyone has experience with this plane. I just bought one (haven't even recieved it, still in the shipping process) and this will be my second build.

My questions are:

What would be a better power plant? A Super Tigre GP.07ABC, OS10LA, OS15LA, or a Magnum XLS-15A? I'm leaning towards the Super Tigre or the OS10, but I'm open to the bigger .15's too.

What is the minimum size micro servo I should use? I was thinking 15g but am wondering if I can get away with 9g (or even smaller)?

Has anyone added ailerons to this kit? If so, how easy/dificult is it?

Thanks in advance for any advice offered. I am still relatively new to the sport and have a lot to learn, so any help is appreciated.
fasteststang is offline Find More Posts by fasteststang
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2009, 03:44 PM
Joined Oct 2008
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteststang
I was wondering if anyone has experience with this plane. I just bought one (haven't even recieved it, still in the shipping process) and this will be my second build.

My questions are:

What would be a better power plant? A Super Tigre GP.07ABC, OS10LA, OS15LA, or a Magnum XLS-15A? I'm leaning towards the Super Tigre or the OS10, but I'm open to the bigger .15's too.

What is the minimum size micro servo I should use? I was thinking 15g but am wondering if I can get away with 9g (or even smaller)?

Has anyone added ailerons to this kit? If so, how easy/dificult is it?

Thanks in advance for any advice offered. I am still relatively new to the sport and have a lot to learn, so any help is appreciated.
I think in all fairness to anyone willing to help some more info on how much and what type of flying you have done.
Most scale type planes is not good for newbies whether it be civilian or a warbird.

Not knowing any more than I do about your past building or flying experience I would first say that you will want to go with the lesser power plant.
The Thunder Tiger GP 07 ABC should do nicely for this plane. Later if and when you decide to get really aggressive with this plane you can upgrade to a .15 easily. The .07 for now will provide better fuel economy meaning longer flights as well.

When it comes to building a HOB kit be prepared to do a lot of sanding because they pack their kits with lots of balsa blocks! They are good kits with good quality and wood (usually, though one can find a troll in any bunch) and pretty good flyers as well, so long as you don't build them too heavy.
LT
lightthings is offline Find More Posts by lightthings
Old Apr 27, 2009, 08:49 PM
Joined Apr 2009
26 Posts
Thanks for the input. As far as my experience goes, I have a Hobbico Superstar 40 trainer that I'm ready to graduate from, and I thought this Cherokee would be a good next plane. I wish I had bought a 1/2a trainer to begin with because the Superstar is a pain in the butt to transport to the flying field in a Jetta with 3 kids. My biggest concern about the engines, was that I didn't want to overpower it as the manufacture recomends an .061 as the biggest engine. But it sounds like the .15 would work well with this plane. Also, I saw a Cloud Ranger on Youtube that that was powered by an OS10, and it suprised me how well that pulled that plane around. Thanks again for your advice, and keep it coming.
fasteststang is offline Find More Posts by fasteststang