SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 27, 2009, 10:37 AM
Ankara/TURKEY
Joined Aug 2008
39 Posts
Help!
Best radio gear and frequency for FPV flight (72 Mhz or 2.4 GHz)

Hi,

I need advise on Radio Gear (frequency, brand name, etc.) for FPV flight. My FPV config. is Ez, 2.4 GHz 1W audio/video link, RVOSD, lcd goggle, Sony Cam. Kx-191.

My goal is to fly within the transmitting range limits of commercially available radios, to force the limits up to maksimum available limits and have a price effective solution. (Modified long range transmitters is next step)

I have following options;

1. To buy my friendís old 72 MHz (high band) Futaba 1024 9ZAP PCM radio with which I had a succesfull FPV flight of 2 km two weeks ago. 500$
2. To fly my own old 40 MHz (high band) Robbe/Futaba FC-18 PCM (but I use it in PPM mode because Rx is PPM). Zero cost. Actually I dropped this option because I encountered several ďRC Link is LostĒ message during FPV flight and I donít thrust it any more.
3. To change transmitter module of my FC-18 from 40 MHz to 72 MHz. There is 40 MHz FP-TQ-FM module on it. I know that 72 MHz FP-TK-FM and FP-TP-FM modules on the market. I had the chance to try one of them with my FC-18 and failed although it is written to be compatible with FC-28 at towerhobbies.com site. This option is also dropped but maybe you have suggestions on it.
4. To change transmitter module of my FC-18 with 2.4 GHz module of ASSAN (module 80$+rx 80$), SPECTRUM DMS2 (170$ both) or FUTABA FASST (320$ both). For this option I can not decide because I donít know if video and rc both on the 2.4GHz frequency could create trouble or not. Moreover, I am not sure about which one is the best solution for safe transmitting range 72 MHz or 2.4 GHz.

Thank you,

Ilhan
ilhan is offline Find More Posts by ilhan
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2009, 10:47 AM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,670 Posts
A 2.4 GHZ RC system will NOT WORK with a 2.4 GHZ video system. No matter what marketing and propoganda you may have read about 2.4 GHZ being some magical band that is not subject to interference, it will not work Many people beleive the marketing hype of RC manufacturers and try a 2.4 GHZ video system together with a 2.4 GHZ RC system, it never turns out well. If you do this, you will waste time and money, and you NOT be able to fly FPV that setup.

You MUST have a radio with a failsafe receiver to fly FPV safely. Its easy to get far away while flying FPV, and if you dont have your failsafe settings properly set, you will crash a lot of airplanes.

2 KM is ok range, but not great, I would expect that from any 72 MHZ radio. Just about any good quality PCM radio system on 72 MHZ will work great for FPV. Average range reported is over 3 KM. Personally, I like JR radios better, but Futaba is very good, just stay away from cheap RC systems and stay far away from Cheap RC receivers like HiTec and such. Good Luck

Mike
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Last edited by JettPilot; Apr 27, 2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 11:00 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,958 Posts
Also, a choice not listed, but easiest to do and mandatory for any long range attempt: extend the Rx antenna to 4 meters for 35/40 or 62" for 72/75MHz.
Notice that all true records (over 10km) were obtained with MHz radio and GHz video, is the ideal combination.
Ah, and please, not confound HiTech with Hitec
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Apr 27, 2009, 11:16 AM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,670 Posts
Fixed RENATOA I always get their name wrong because I never buy thier cheap, substandard stuff.

Mike
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 27, 2009, 12:30 PM
Crystal, Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2008
79 Posts
Does the futaba 7c fasst 2.4 ghz a good choice? I notice its about $100 > than the 72mhz but I like the idea that no chance of interference from other modelers.

What kind of range should I expect and should I use the included receiver with?
clay123 is offline Find More Posts by clay123
Old Apr 27, 2009, 12:36 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,958 Posts
Clay, did you read #2 ?
Old Apr 27, 2009, 12:37 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,958 Posts
Are you serious?!
Hitec substandard ?!!! What a joke...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot
Fixed RENATOA I always get their name wrong because I never buy thier cheap, substandard stuff.

Mike
Old Apr 27, 2009, 12:49 PM
Crystal, Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2008
79 Posts
I have 900mhz video..
clay123 is offline Find More Posts by clay123
Old Apr 27, 2009, 01:54 PM
LOWERRR!
United States, TX, Roanoke
Joined Sep 2006
1,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA
Are you serious?!
Hitec substandard ?!!! What a joke...
Uh, exactly... I've been using Hitec receivers for many years and have had zero issues with them.
MadMonkey572 is offline Find More Posts by MadMonkey572
Old Apr 27, 2009, 02:10 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMonkey572
Uh, exactly... I've been using Hitec receivers for many years and have had zero issues with them.
Wait till you try their servos ... These guys still owe me $1200 for 4 failed servos (although they did replace them ... and QC them before shipping). Either way, Hitec is not quality brand anymore. You're better off getting some corona rx - at least they're cheap and work as advertised.
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
Old Apr 27, 2009, 08:04 PM
LOWERRR!
United States, TX, Roanoke
Joined Sep 2006
1,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappy
Wait till you try their servos ... These guys still owe me $1200 for 4 failed servos (although they did replace them ... and QC them before shipping). Either way, Hitec is not quality brand anymore. You're better off getting some corona rx - at least they're cheap and work as advertised.
I've also used a lot of Hitec servos, and the only one I've had fail was an HS55 just less than a month ago.

On that note, however, I've seen others go out.

I was flying my Phase 3 F-16 today on a Corona receiver and it seemed to do well. Half the price of a Hitec, so I may switch...
MadMonkey572 is offline Find More Posts by MadMonkey572
Old Apr 27, 2009, 11:08 PM
ob1
Southeast TN
Joined Jan 2006
580 Posts
Quote:
Also, a choice not listed, but easiest to do and mandatory for any long range attempt: extend the Rx antenna to 4 meters for 35/40 or 62" for 72/75MHz.
Notice that all true records (over 10km) were obtained with MHz radio and GHz video, is the ideal combination.
Hmmm...just curious....I have seen other posts that suggest 72MHz antenna be lengthened by 20" (from 39" to 59"). Where was the 62" derived from?
Also curious about the statement "all true records (over 10km) were obtained with MHz radio and GHz video, is the ideal combination".....for some reason I thought others on this forum had suggested that 900MHz video may be better for greater distances because that wavelength could travel farther and was less affected by objects in its path than 2.4GHz.....is this incorrect?
Regards,
ob1
ob1 is offline Find More Posts by ob1
Old Apr 27, 2009, 11:11 PM
FPV Heli
Austria
Joined Apr 2009
36 Posts
tested nearly all
Best results

Thomas Scherrer`s (plug and play)Euipm 430 Mhz on Futaba FX 18 (or FX 30)connected to trainer plug ,inflight programmable failsave!!GENIOUS
500 or 7000mW -as you like-the range ? I donīt
know until now,but tested up to approx 5km-open project now is a signal display on OSD

Video, lawmate 900 Mhz 500mW and Yagi Antenna on ground station-not more mWatts because some Problems with (eagletree)GPS and OSD -Antenna traker is waiting project

camera ,Range Video DX 201 or Aiptec Z600 with upgradet software
Abraxas is offline Find More Posts by Abraxas
Old Apr 28, 2009, 01:28 AM
Yeah Baby
Joined Apr 2006
1,394 Posts
Quote:
Renatoa
What cable do you recommend for extending the 35mhz to 4 meters, do I remove the original cable from my 8 channel pcm futaba or just solder on a new extension?
bignose13 is offline Find More Posts by bignose13
Old Apr 28, 2009, 01:44 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,958 Posts
No idea what code has this cable... it is sold in our hobby shops exactly for this purpose, to replace broken antenas, in pieces of one meter, must ask them before to send 3 or 4 meters in a single piece. It looks identical with the receiver wire. My guess is the same cable as those used for servo extenders, just not twisted.
You can either replace the whole antena with 4 meters, or just solder other 3meters, no diference.
Also, if 4 meters is too much and not comfortable, you can try with one meter only, to acheve 2 meters total, or 1/4 wave, still visible gain change.