2,365 Posts
Mini-Review
Nine Eagles SOLO/FREESPIRIT

At a glance:

Packaged as a carrying case

Comes with radio batteries

A screwdriver that actually fits all the screws is included

Obviously the heli with battery

The radio is wild!! it has an LCD readout showing battery life, trim positions and throttle percentage. The heli battery is charged from a slide in port on the back of the radio. NOW GET THIS,,, if you remove 2 screws on the back of the radio and flip the antenna over it becomes mode 1.

As usual the documentation is incredible.

(flight tests will follow shortly as it just got here and I have to go to work)

CG
Cable Guy is offline Find More Posts by Cable Guy
Last edited by Cable Guy; Apr 28, 2009 at 09:48 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2009, 02:27 PM
Hovering is Over-rated
Big Spring Tx
Joined Jan 2008
382 Posts
My new free spirit will be waiting for me when I get home from work Can't wait to try this one. I'll report back on how it flies sometime tonight or tomorrow.
Saradog is offline Find More Posts by Saradog
Old May 21, 2009, 08:55 PM
Joined Aug 2008
458 Posts
Can't wait to hear about it! I have been considering the free spirit as an MCX alternative. I'm loving what i am hearing so far.
forrest225 is offline Find More Posts by forrest225
Old May 22, 2009, 01:24 PM
Savannah, Ga, USA
Joined Feb 2009
477 Posts
So, what happened to Cable Guy?
Beachcomber is offline Find More Posts by Beachcomber
Old May 22, 2009, 08:14 PM
Joined Aug 2008
458 Posts
Yeah, I was looking forward to the report.
Old May 22, 2009, 08:17 PM
USA, NC, Mooresville
Joined Oct 2006
333 Posts
I just got one NIB from an rcgroups member. Its sweet. I will post some picks of it and a review soon.
heli-parkflyer is offline Find More Posts by heli-parkflyer
Old May 22, 2009, 08:59 PM
Hovering is Over-rated
Big Spring Tx
Joined Jan 2008
382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by forrest225
Can't wait to hear about it! I have been considering the free spirit as an MCX alternative. I'm loving what i am hearing so far.
Had unexpected company show up last night so I didn't get a chance to fly it. Im definately gonna fly it this evening though so I'll post something about it tonight.
Old May 22, 2009, 09:47 PM
Joined Aug 2008
458 Posts
You better

EDIT: 250th post
Last edited by forrest225; May 23, 2009 at 09:17 AM.
Old May 22, 2009, 10:54 PM
Hovering is Over-rated
Big Spring Tx
Joined Jan 2008
382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by forrest225
You better
Don't worry. Im charging the battery and reading the manual. Now lets hope I can fly the heli Kidding aside it looks really nice and comes packaged very well. There won't be any swapping of batteries beteeen this and the mCX. The connectors are completely different. The black cap on the battery which faces outward on the mCX and has the connection end on it slides in to the battery tray of the free spirit first or facing inward. It has the contacts on the bottom of the black cap and the bottom of the battery tray. Totally different. Has a tab to pull the battery out by as well
Last edited by Saradog; May 23, 2009 at 01:15 AM. Reason: add something
Old May 23, 2009, 02:47 AM
Hovering is Over-rated
Big Spring Tx
Joined Jan 2008
382 Posts
Had a good first flight. I'ts getting late though so I'll post more about it tomorrow. SD
Old May 23, 2009, 09:18 AM
Joined Aug 2008
458 Posts
I won't be able to check these forums again until late tonight. I'm going to the lake today with friends of ours.

I'm looking forward to seeing the flight report!
Old May 23, 2009, 12:31 PM
USA, NC, Mooresville
Joined Oct 2006
333 Posts
The Nine Eagles Solo is a very stable heli, that includes a very detailed owners manual, and 4 AA batteries for the TX. The TX as previously stated is wild looking yet comfortable with an lcd display that displays the throttle percentage, battery meter, and trim adjustment. The TX has very smooth moving gimbals. The charger is built into the TX which is nice but runs the TX battery down after a few charges, still a nice feature. The TX can be switched from mode 2 to mode 1 buy simply unscrewing a couple of screws and flipping the antenna. The heli also features a dual rate function which is nice.

The heli itself is nicely made, very similar in design to the MCX . It has a 110 mah battery that utilizes a different style battery terminal than the MCX, and parkzone/minium planes.

The heli flies smooth, and moves in all directions pretty good. Its no hot rod in forward flight like the 5-6 but forward flight is pretty good for an indoor heli.

I like this heli very much because of its light weight and its ease of use and is relaxing and fun to fly!
heli-parkflyer is offline Find More Posts by heli-parkflyer
Old May 23, 2009, 07:42 PM
Hovering is Over-rated
Big Spring Tx
Joined Jan 2008
382 Posts
My Free Spirit.
Old Jun 02, 2009, 09:50 PM
Hovering is Over-rated
Big Spring Tx
Joined Jan 2008
382 Posts
The free spirit flies pretty good. It seems to be a little faster than my mCX in all directions. Doesn't have the tail wag that my mCX has but rudder doesn't hold as well either. It seems to need adjustment throughout the flight. Rudder trim is touchy as well. Fortunately it's stable enough to easily adjust during flight. It will hold a pretty nice hands free hover but it wants to slowly pirouette in one direction or the other very slowly. All in all not bad for a hundred bucks.
Last edited by Saradog; Jun 02, 2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old Jun 02, 2009, 10:45 PM
Hovering is Over-rated
Big Spring Tx
Joined Jan 2008
382 Posts
update on free spirit yaw problem

I was messing up when I plugged in the battery. I was holding it upside down and wasn't getting set down before the gyro initalized I guess. I plugged the battery in with the heli sitting on the table without moving it . Flew a perfect timed 7 minute flight and didn't have to adjust any of the trims ,flew half the flight hands free
Last edited by Saradog; Jun 03, 2009 at 05:25 PM.