HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2009, 10:52 PM
Malaysia
Joined Jul 2008
260 Posts
Discussion
My first sailplane with Flaps ie 2 servos on each wing - Help!!

I'd been flying e-sailplane for sometimes now, and all of it only have 1 servo on each wing.

Currently I am assembling a e-sailpane with flaps ie 2 servos on each wing.

Anybody is kind enough to explain the setup on this type of wing? What are these flaps suppose to do and when should it be used?

Is it the same as the normal aileron functions? Thanks guys.
acurusaragon is offline Find More Posts by acurusaragon
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2009, 11:11 PM
John,not Zerts.JOHN, NOT Zerts
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2007
1,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acurusaragon
I'd been flying e-sailplane for sometimes now, and all of it only have 1 servo on each wing.

Currently I am assembling a e-sailpane with flaps ie 2 servos on each wing.

Anybody is kind enough to explain the setup on this type of wing? What are these flaps suppose to do and when should it be used?

Is it the same as the normal aileron functions? Thanks guys.
Crow or butterfly - steepens glide slope for landing or diving out of thermals without fear of excessive speed folding wing. Flaps down sharply, ailerons up.

Full-span camber control - for optimum airfoil while thermalling or speeding across sink, for example. Flap moves up or down small amount, aligned with aileron.

Aileron with flap - provides full-span aileron for faster roll rate or less drag when making frequent small corrections while thermalling. Aileron travels up or down more than flap (see illustration in Hiitec radio pdf below)

Does your radio have at least capability such as this one? (Sailplane programming starts on page 28 of the pdf)

http://www.hitecrcd.com/product_file...QPCMmanual.pdf
Zerts is offline Find More Posts by Zerts
Last edited by Zerts; Apr 25, 2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 11:16 PM
Malaysia
Joined Jul 2008
260 Posts
I think my radio should have the function .... But I'd yet to explore it
Anyway I'm on 12FG . Thanks

But what really the real function of having these flaps?
Old Apr 25, 2009, 11:19 PM
Malaysia
Joined Jul 2008
260 Posts
Zerts ... Thanks for the explanation . I shall further explore the meaning of each functions
Old Apr 27, 2009, 05:49 PM
USA, PA, New Hope
Joined Nov 2001
899 Posts
Acuru,
I just maidened a GEM with 4 servos in the wing. I have the flaps on a 3-position switch to be used for landing mainly. This plane floats forever and the theory is that with some significant flap deployment, it slows the plane and increases lift. I need to mix some down elevator to keep the pitch stable. I test the amount of elevator compensation at altitude to avoid any bumps. I needed a 7-channel Rx to get signals to all the servos and a Y- cable to attach an external BEC (too many servos for ine built in BEC)
Vito
Vito is offline Find More Posts by Vito
Old Jul 10, 2009, 06:42 AM
Malaysia
Joined Jul 2008
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito
Acuru,
I just maidened a GEM with 4 servos in the wing. I have the flaps on a 3-position switch to be used for landing mainly. This plane floats forever and the theory is that with some significant flap deployment, it slows the plane and increases lift. I need to mix some down elevator to keep the pitch stable. I test the amount of elevator compensation at altitude to avoid any bumps. I needed a 7-channel Rx to get signals to all the servos and a Y- cable to attach an external BEC (too many servos for ine built in BEC)
Vito
Vito, mind sharing the type of servos that u used for the aileron , flaps and the ruddervator?
Thanks
Old Jul 10, 2009, 07:41 AM
USA, PA, New Hope
Joined Nov 2001
899 Posts
Sure,
I am usually pretty cheap, but sprung for 4 Hitec 125MG servos for the wings. I reverted to normal with HS 81s for the tail. I got the best price at Tower with $ off. I fiddled with the wing servos quite a bit to get then installed. The 125s are thin but pretty much fill the holes. It worked well and fit under the provided servo covers.
BTW - I love the flaps. I have used flaperons in the past and these are much more effective. Since the ailerons are free to roll as needed, the whole process is slick. I come in to land pretty hot and flip the flaps on and put it where I want it. No more watching as the glider floats past and into the weeds.
Vito
Vito is offline Find More Posts by Vito