HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2009, 03:24 PM
Joined Mar 2009
126 Posts
Discussion
My new motor mount does not fit the predrilled holes in my 3D Extra SHP!!..what now?

So, I just got my 3D Extra SHP 47'' (a beauty), and apparently I made a mistake choosing which engine to use with this plane, as the default motor mount is slightly larger than the holes present in the firewall of my plane.
This is my TR 42-40B 900kv motor:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=4912

I thought this guy had similar performance and mout/shaft measures as the Eflite 25 model!, but they are not!, the Eflite has smaller mount and thinner shaft (even though both models claim to have the same 5mm one). What did I do wrong here? what numbers did I not consider correctly?

So what now? do if I drill 3-4 new holes in this firewall?, will the structure become too fragile for my 3D usage later on? Also, the new holes need to be quite close from the original ones, collading with the wood rings present behind the firewall. Not sure what to do there...

I wish there would be different size motor mounts to fit whatever holes the plane came with, but my local hobbystoreUSA does not have/carry such product.

I can't wait to fly this beauty, so any help/hint is MUCH appreciated .

thanks guys!
Fernlope is offline Find More Posts by Fernlope
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2009, 04:27 PM
flying?crashing more like it!
Joined Dec 2008
162 Posts
the old holes should look like an x,top left,top right,bot left, bot right. is there a chance you can drill the new holes like this... + top,bot,side, side?that way the new holes won't be too close to the existing holes?
zman_99 is offline Find More Posts by zman_99
Old Apr 25, 2009, 04:38 PM
Joined Mar 2009
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman_99
the old holes should look like an x,top left,top right,bot left, bot right. is there a chance you can drill the new holes like this... + top,bot,side, side?that way the new holes won't be too close to the existing holes?
Yes, sorry to not clarify this. The mount is so big that I can't rotate 45 degrees to accomplish your configuration, it can only rotate a bit making it difficult to drill holes correctly. A solution is to wide more the center shaft hole and then be able to lower the engine a bit and get the rotation I need. I wonder then if the cawl will still be centered enough, etc..
Fernlope is offline Find More Posts by Fernlope
Old Apr 25, 2009, 05:01 PM
Gloucester Ma
Joined Dec 2002
1,038 Posts
Mounting holes

Fernlope I think you should leave the center hole as is. If you fill the old holed with some epoxy and filler, by taping the back and standing the plane vertically. you can then drill new holes very close and not lose any strength. My 2cents
Alex
A Monell is offline Find More Posts by A Monell