HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2009, 09:20 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Discussion
Neat Fair FPV dogfight

The editorial column in Fly RC mentions plans for an FPV dogfight on Thursday afternoon, before the Neat Fair. Rules are simple. Beef up your Easy Star any way you like for structure and protection, fly with a buddy box following the AMA rules and the winner's plane will be described in an article in Fly RC.

The Neat Fair runs Friday to Sunday, but many people arrive early and camp out, so this is an unofficial contest for the guys who come up to spend an extra long weekend.

I'd love to go, but as usual, I almost certainly will not make it.

The only time I managed to get up was the year of the flood, and I got to see a lot of trailers that looked like they were in the middle of a river, which I guess they actually were.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2009, 01:05 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,814 Posts
The video should be so cool!
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
Old Apr 25, 2009, 03:14 PM
Seeing the Farside.
Seattle WA, USA
Joined Aug 2005
4,285 Posts
That would make for a great weekend for whoever makes it.

Funjet formation/dogfight would be perfect.

-Chris
Blaze.45 is offline Find More Posts by Blaze.45
Old Apr 25, 2009, 11:11 PM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,912 Posts
Ahhh i had a great idea, where somewhere safe(in the middle of the dessert) we could recreate a war scene where everthing was ran by FPV cameras, some could be gunners on a b16 bomer or a pilot etc... or the other option was to do pylon racing and there would be a big prize, they would limit the speed on propeller driven planes any design is allowable
GreenAce92 is offline Find More Posts by GreenAce92
Old Apr 26, 2009, 12:22 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Theres only 1 way to do this... big planes with paintball guns... yes totally not allowed to do it but we need to be able to shoot stuff lol... this would be the ultimate!
chancesAU is offline Find More Posts by chancesAU
Old Apr 26, 2009, 12:41 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,621 Posts
the heck with paint ball guns.. rocket launchers dude!

warning... this video is not rated PG and must be accompanied by an adult prior to watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoGCP-BKSrE

Sorry Pete old buddy, I'll let you get back to the show and btw that event is something you really need to attend!
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Apr 26, 2009, 12:46 AM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,814 Posts
lol too funny
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSTECH

warning... this video is not rated PG and must be accompanied by an adult prior to watching.

RC Eurocopter Tiger hunting a tank and firing rockets from a (3 min 31 sec)

Sorry Pete old buddy, I'll let you get back to the show and btw that event is something you really need to attend!
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
Old Apr 26, 2009, 05:33 AM
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Quote:

[snip]

I'd love to go there, but experience rules against it. Being in NYC I have no car, and going to the Neat Fair would mean renting a car, getting time off from work and making camping or motel arrangements. I am far too lazy for all that, and would have to talk my flying buddy into going. He is a fan of large gas models and regards both electric and deliberately crashing into another airplane with distain.

I think the large gas stuff has something to do with not being able to see "Little airplanes that flit around." His eyesight never seems to fail him when young ladies are around though! Speaking of which, you shoulda been in Central Park yesterday.

A bit off topic, but this would make an excellent flying field if you could get all the young ladies off of it. Yesterday was the first really warm day of spring and the sun worshipers took over.

Pete
Old Apr 26, 2009, 05:48 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,621 Posts
LOL I've seen crowded parks like Stanley Park in Vancouver but yours .... hey it's New York! Now I see sun worshipers laying around right up to the folks playing baseball, well what happen when a player hits a home run?
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Apr 26, 2009, 10:14 AM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug
I'd love to go there, but experience rules against it. Being in NYC I have no car, and going to the Neat Fair would mean renting a car, getting time off from work and making camping or motel arrangements. I am far too lazy for all that, and would have to talk my flying buddy into going. He is a fan of large gas models and regards both electric and deliberately crashing into another airplane with distain.

I think the large gas stuff has something to do with not being able to see "Little airplanes that flit around." His eyesight never seems to fail him when young ladies are around though! Speaking of which, you shoulda been in Central Park yesterday.

A bit off topic, but this would make an excellent flying field if you could get all the young ladies off of it. Yesterday was the first really warm day of spring and the sun worshipers took over.

Pete
any closeups? lmao
GreenAce92 is offline Find More Posts by GreenAce92
Old Apr 26, 2009, 10:23 AM
No guts no glory
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2007
1,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug

Pete

lol has anybody got killed by a foul ball yet ? those people are nuts sunbathing on baseball fields lol
pratorian is offline Find More Posts by pratorian
Old Apr 26, 2009, 12:54 PM
Russia, Moscow
Joined Nov 2007
291 Posts
For an fpv dogfight you have to have something like this http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...+fight+airsoft , unless you have such a device its not a dog fight its just fooling around. I ust wish that thread wouldnt die, i just wish that fred would test fly his plane, i just wish that spanish guy ho did test flown his plane with an airsoft gun would post on this forum... ah man, i would make something like that a long time ago if only i had the skills, but there are so many people like fred that have the skill, why arent they doing it??
Shift is offline Find More Posts by Shift
Old Apr 26, 2009, 03:38 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Quote:
LOL I've seen crowded parks like Stanley Park in Vancouver but yours .... hey it's New York! Now I see sun worshipers laying around right up to the folks playing baseball, well what happen when a player hits a home run?
The ones in red uniforms and shorts is a girl's softball team. I'm sure they can hit home runs, but reports of injuries are rare. This is the area known as "The Great Lawn," and I think it is surrounded by six softball fields and you have to get a permit for your time slot. About two miles to the south is "Sheep Meadow," which is very similar and also surrounded by ball fields. I think people have the sense to look up when they hear a solid hit.

BTW. This is right by the Delacourt theater, where they do Shakespeare in the park. Before you needed tickets (free) people used to put out blankets and picnic all day. It didn't look like a line, but more like a random bunch of people, but everybody knew who was ahead of them and who they were in front of, so they'd picnic all day then pick up their blankets and queue up to get into the theater.

I spoke to a guy with an RC sailboat and he mentioned that he uses airborne RC channels, european channels, ham channels and some other illegal channels. I think if I ever try flying in the park (with something tiny) I will stick to 2.4 gHz.

Pete
Old Apr 27, 2009, 09:20 AM
France
Joined Mar 2007
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift
For an fpv dogfight you have to have something like this http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...+fight+airsoft , unless you have such a device its not a dog fight its just fooling around. I ust wish that thread wouldnt die, i just wish that fred would test fly his plane, i just wish that spanish guy ho did test flown his plane with an airsoft gun would post on this forum... ah man, i would make something like that a long time ago if only i had the skills, but there are so many people like fred that have the skill, why arent they doing it??
Because the skill is not enough. You have to have time and motivation too, or less begined projects .
This one was leaved on the shelf since some months. I took it again 3 days ago, with fresh ideas, and y it fliyes since yesterday.

Fred
Fred Van_H is offline Find More Posts by Fred Van_H
Last edited by Fred Van_H; Apr 27, 2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 11:26 AM
Russia, Moscow
Joined Nov 2007
291 Posts
Hi Fred!! I understand your situation, there are other things in life besides hobby and this is surely a timeconsuming project, but my cry was mostly for others that have the skill and time. Btw will we be seeing videos of those flights you mentioned?
Shift is offline Find More Posts by Shift