SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 24, 2009, 05:54 PM
Rural Westchester, NY
Joined Oct 2005
667 Posts
Discussion
PA 260 vs 3DHS SHP vs PA Addiction.

So as an intermediate 3D pilot who flies mostly on smaller fields I am ever on the search for the ideal 48" 3D machine. I have had several 3DHS SHPs and was looking for something of equal or better quality to try out when I decided to try the Precision Aerobatics Extra 260. Now with over 25 flights on my PA 260 I think I'm ready to talk about my experiences. In a nut shell - I'm not sure that this is an "apples to apples" comparison because the SHP is clearly a post foamie transition machine and I am beginning to understand that the PA 260 is not.

That's it for now. I'll be expounding on my experiences in the days to come and would love to hear from anyone that has a both as well

Joe
2Sunny is offline Find More Posts by 2Sunny
Last edited by 2Sunny; May 01, 2009 at 08:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2009, 06:12 PM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,933 Posts
Hey 2sunny,

Glad to see you're having another go at a serious comparison between these planes. It's of great interest to me and I was disappointed when your other thread turned into a general chat thread. That's a nice collection of planes you have there!
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Apr 24, 2009, 06:20 PM
all up in your grill
Joined Aug 2006
4,804 Posts
Alright 2Sunny, let's try this again the civilized way; can you elaborate what a post foamy transition machine means?

About your sloppy bluebird servos; have you contacted the vendor to report the issue? For sure if you want to compare two similar size/class planes they should both have servos operating at the top of their game otherwise they will skew your results on one of the planes.
aflipz is offline Find More Posts by aflipz
Old Apr 24, 2009, 07:39 PM
Ready, Post, Aim
Cleveland, OH
Joined Nov 2007
5,909 Posts
Good luck...I hope level heads prevail....

I have them both and and enjoy them.

Built the PA (lovely green one) for lightness and followed Aflipz to this machine from shared experience on the EFlite 260 (which was OK, but nothing like the PA).
wedgewing is offline Find More Posts by wedgewing
Old Apr 24, 2009, 07:43 PM
Wanaka, NZ
Joined Mar 2009
601 Posts
If the SHP is alot more forgiving then i wonder if there are other 47" 3DHS planes that are more "apples" with the PA. and would be more of a step up in performance.
qman is offline Find More Posts by qman
Old Apr 24, 2009, 07:59 PM
Glue-it-again-Ben!
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2008
813 Posts
I'm really interested in the comparison too...

I'm aiming for a PA Extra 260 in about two planes time - Love to look of it. I'm planning to use either a PA Addiction or 3DHS SHP as a stepping stone to get there.
blxpy is offline Find More Posts by blxpy
Old Apr 24, 2009, 08:00 PM
Rural Westchester, NY
Joined Oct 2005
667 Posts
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman
If the SHP is alot more forgiving then i wonder if there are other 47" 3DHS planes that are more "apples" with the PA. and would be more of a step up in performance.

Exactly what I was thinking! I don't own the Velox, but I was wondering if the Velox is more like the PA 260. The 260 tumbles way easier than the SHP, but for someone still learning all the 3D maneuvers that added ability comes with a cost.

One tiny consideration I would add is that I love the looks of my 260! That carbon rip graphic on the top is definitely cool and drew several comments from the crowd at the field today.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 08:09 PM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
I am erking myself for posting ....hopefully there is a slim chance this stays logical and level

.......the 47" SHP from 3DH seems to be a logical, progression up into a full-fuse/balsa style 3D airframe......it does seem to feel and be a bit more forgiving.

I would consider the 47" EDGE from 3DH
and the PA 260 an "apples" sort of comparison.....just my 2cents

The Velox.....is just a blast it's a tumbling, harrier, and hover monster.
Fliprob17 is offline Find More Posts by Fliprob17
Old Apr 24, 2009, 08:17 PM
Ready, Post, Aim
Cleveland, OH
Joined Nov 2007
5,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qman
qman

the current ride that I have which is providing me comparable enjoyment to the PA 260 is the 3DHS Edge. I have a 40" and the 47". I won't go down the road of performance because there are guys that could do stuff with a Vapor I can't with any plane.

I think both shops do a very good job of testing their planes with a recommended component mix that allows some flexibility. if you follow the recommendations of the shops, in every case I power it up, let it go from my hands and they fly awesome. Both shops are aiming to please and that is a benefit to all

IMHO I am currently better with the violent "fur ball" maneuvers with the PA260 and the 40" Edge. I have been flying my PA longer than the Edge, but last night we bonded and I had the 40" doing things that I have mastered on the PA. I did attempt too many inverted spins with the Edge last night and it hit the deck pretty hard. My ham hands but a cowl and firewall are all i need to get it back in the air and i will have those on Wednesday

I am not as proficient in 3D as Aflipz or many of the 3DHS guys I see fly the Edge, but both ships can be set up mild or wild without a lot of hassle. I always have 10 - 15 mph winds so some days you can't go out and fly crisp 3D and you take out both for some aerobatics and sport flying.

In the beginning I always applied too much power to either of these birds and flew them too fast. i was missing out on what they could do with proper throttle management. I fly both some pretty nasty stuff and despite the generous wing surfaces, they both can be flown calmly.

I think anyone will tell you they are just different birds. Both are suitable "Christmas In July" requests
wedgewing is offline Find More Posts by wedgewing
Old Apr 24, 2009, 08:26 PM
Rural Westchester, NY
Joined Oct 2005
667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aflipz
Can you elaborate on what a post foamy transition machine means?

Excellent question!

Prior to my 3DHS airplane I was practicing on a Revolution R3D, and felt I had the basics down. When I asked around on RCG, folks assured me that the SHP would "feel" the closest to a Revolution of any "3D" planes out there, and they were right in that the SHP had a "light and airy" feel. So really my comment is focused on a specific training regime of Revolution to SHP - which for me worked great. I think if I had bought the 260 before the SHP, I would have struggled and most likely crashed early on, but that is pure guessing on my part.

Joe
Old Apr 24, 2009, 09:11 PM
all up in your grill
Joined Aug 2006
4,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Sunny
Excellent question!

Prior to my 3DHS airplane I was practicing on a Revolution R3D, and felt I had the basics down. When I asked around on RCG, folks assured me that the SHP would "feel" the closest to a Revolution of any "3D" planes out there, and they were right in that the SHP had a "light and airy" feel. So really my comment is focused on a specific training regime of Revolution to SHP - which for me worked great. I think if I had bought the 260 before the SHP, I would have struggled and most likely crashed early on, but that is pure guessing on my part.

Joe
Ok I get it.

No you are probably right; the 260 is awesome, but it's designed to challenge; a tool really intended for those much more skilled than myself. It will grow on/with you in the long run, don't be afraid to play with cg and expo to make it your own.

The addiction was mentioned; I don't have one, but it's clear that it doesn't belong on the same stepping stone as the SHP which is a lot more "real plane" and less foamy. I'll say the SHP is a clear winner in the looks department vs the addiction. You can compare the addictions to a lot of foam planes but almost nothing fully built up.
aflipz is offline Find More Posts by aflipz
Old Apr 25, 2009, 12:33 AM
Glue-it-again-Ben!
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2008
813 Posts
Thanks for your comments on the Addiction v SHP aflipz.
I much prefer the look and apparent handling of the SHP, but because of freight to Australia, the Addiction comes in about $60 USD cheaper. It's not that much in the scheme of the completed plane I guess. I think you just helped me make my decision so thanks...

Sorry Joe - didn't mean to hijack your thread. That's a great fleet you've got there mate.
blxpy is offline Find More Posts by blxpy
Old Apr 25, 2009, 03:41 AM
I butcher foam
Springfield, MO
Joined Jun 2008
1,559 Posts
Never worry about flight performance

Ben@3DHS listens to techno though (strike 1)
Aflipz is very pro PA (strike 1)
SHP and PA are apparently flying like apples (strike 2 to both)
Ben wears "camo" shorts (strike 3)
AFlipz is very pro PA (strike 3)

People are comparing two good airframes..again..awesome.

I hope one day we can all fist fight about what airframe rules - but until then me and Aflipz are going to go drink natty light and talk about lift kits on various Ford and Chevy short bed pickups.
rballz is offline Find More Posts by rballz
Old Apr 25, 2009, 07:40 AM
Joined May 2008
1,506 Posts
MY Goodness...rballz is alive!! Where ya been?? In jail?? LOL!! You still coming to SEFF???
Knotnuts is offline Find More Posts by Knotnuts
Old Apr 25, 2009, 08:07 AM
I like the violent stuff!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Oct 2004
1,205 Posts
Sunny is right the SHP is an excellant transition plane. My first nice balsa plane. Very forgiving and still very aerobatic. Flew the PA Addiction at the same time, good 3D trainer but a different bird all together, I still love that fat wing. Now I'm flying the 40" and 47" 3DHS Edge. A real handful compared to the SHP. Almost got the PA 260, they do build a good plane!
Wingin' Wayne is offline Find More Posts by Wingin' Wayne