HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2009, 12:40 PM
UK, Sussex
Joined Jan 2009
568 Posts
Discussion
Newbie needing advice on RipMax Alienator power setup

Hi all, sorry this is probably a common kind of question, I have tried searching, but the power setups I come across seem to be for old brushed/nicad systems.

I've aquired a second hand and moderately bashed and repaired RipMax alienator, which is complete except for motor, ESC and battery.

I'd like to get it flying again without spending too much, and wondered if anyone could recommend a sensible power setup for this plane? I'm not an experienced flier so it doesn't need to be crazy fast, but I'd like it to last me a little while and be useable in other models as the airframe doesn't look like it has a huge amount of life left in it.

I'm a bit at a loss on how to choose a propellor, motor, ESC and battery.

Thanks!
Davee1 is offline Find More Posts by Davee1
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2009, 02:19 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,206 Posts
Seems it is 3lb-3.5lb so you want at least 250-350W

If you do a search you'll find things like this:

That's one of the best planes I have ever owned. Despite it's radical looks, it's very stable with an exception of wanting to climb, but it's not that bad. It's aerobatic behavior is opposite a delta, slower rolling, but tight loops. I didn't bother with the rudder. As a minimum, it can fly like a park slowflyer with a geared spd 400 with nothing bigger than 1050 cells, but a hot geared 480 on KAN 1300s is much better and there's always lipos for either motor. As far as a car motors, something direct drive from 17 to 19 turns and 1950 cells or lipos, c cells are too heavy. For brushless, mine did awesome on just a AXI 2808/20 and 8~10 1950 cells, depending on prop choice, a PJS 1000 would also be good. I find anything much hotter or heavier will need glassing, the wings have a tendency to fold.

I'd look at a Suppo 2814 or 2820 motor: www.lightflightrc.com Suppo 40A ESC.
One of these, of the correct Kv to draw say 25-30A, would do well with an 8x4 or 9x5 on 3s 2100 (20C)
I can't remember the re-branded name in the UK.

Or this: http://www.2dogrc.com/ecommerce/os/c...ow-p-2422.html
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Last edited by Dr Kiwi; Apr 24, 2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 03:26 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,779 Posts
Here's a thread you may have missed, Ripmax Alienator Swept Wing a couple of brushless motors mentioned.

Try an Advanced Search, (it's in the Search drop down), enter Alienator, then set the box below it to Search Titles Only, then highlight in the Search in Forums box, Aircraft-Electric-General and Aircraft-Electric-Airplanes, (use ctrl to highlight the second one). You should get 30 threads with Alienator in their titles, not all will be of any use but some might.

Good luck with the model.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Apr 24, 2009, 03:47 PM
UK, Sussex
Joined Jan 2009
568 Posts
Thanks guys, gives me some ideas.

Sure is a weird looking plane! (the paint job on this one has to be seen to be believe :-D)
Davee1 is offline Find More Posts by Davee1