HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by PLD, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 03:33 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,073 Posts
Ah, Paul what a Wuss you are with all that digital precision and reliability you take for granted.

I remember the first ever radio model I saw had a "soft" valve receiver and escapment. The valve was called the XFG1 from memory and it was popular because instead of a "hard" vacuum it had an inert gas filling. It was a very small size but think the main advantage was it meant you didn't need to carry a 45V battery in the plane which made the whole airborne kit a lot lighter. The amusing downside was the receiver would drift out of tune over a 5 minute period (more or less) after take off as the valve characteristics changed. It was the "more or less" that made flying interesting!

John

PS: The 5V ref works a treat, thanks. I'll email you with some thoughts later tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pldaniels
The fun thing with analogue designs like this is that each time you get a new batch of parts you find you have to tweak everything again, especially new variants of the transistors because each brand/batch has a slightly different voltage property, while not normally something that matters it does with the normalisers where 20mV is a big difference.
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2009, 05:10 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,384 Posts
Well, I'm back from a horrid little day in the workshop.

All that fiddling and farting around was in vain because there was a defect on the circuit board layout *arugh*.

The feedback link from the battery is supposed to go directly into the biased "base" of the voltage sensing transistor, unfortunately for me it wasn't, instead it was going to another place.

Anyhow, I can still salvage/use the new batch of boards I got but I have to make a slight "hack", namely cutting the trace and then installing a fine wire link to the correct place.

Attached is a photo of the end result.

Paul.
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
Old Jul 03, 2009, 05:26 AM
Next time I'll ARTF...
Canberra, Australia (Southside)
Joined Feb 2004
4,634 Posts
G'day Paul,

Package arrived - thanks.

Graham
glydr is offline Find More Posts by glydr
Old Jul 03, 2009, 05:33 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,384 Posts
Graham,

Sorry I didn't get the other board back to you yet, that'll come back next week.

Paul.
Old Jul 03, 2009, 07:21 AM
Next time I'll ARTF...
Joined Feb 2004
4,634 Posts
Hi Paul, no trouble! Take your time.

Though I appreciate the other items arriving in time for the weekend.
Old Jul 03, 2009, 07:38 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,384 Posts
Graham,

I'm sure you've seen it before, but these are the new-new Normaliser boards...
Old Jul 03, 2009, 09:53 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,384 Posts
Website/email changeover

Had to change all the IPs I used for my hosted WWW/email machines, so if you get a blank page or a missing-site error, then try restart your browser (or even machine) and try again. The new IP's should have propagated already but sometimes it can take a day or two to reach the extremes.

Paul.
Old Jul 06, 2009, 05:49 AM
Next time I'll ARTF...
Joined Feb 2004
4,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pldaniels
Graham,

I'm sure you've seen it before, but these are the new-new Normaliser boards...
Nice - but I can be proud of my Normaliser 'Classic'.

Old Jul 06, 2009, 05:50 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,384 Posts
Graham,

I'm actually 'reclaiming' your 'Classic' Normaliser board and replacing it with a different board (2nd generation + 3rd gen tweak). Unless you'd like your 1st-gen unit back for "keepsake" reasons

Paul.
Old Jul 09, 2009, 06:13 AM
Next time I'll ARTF...
Joined Feb 2004
4,634 Posts
Whups - sorry to miss your post (reaches for subscribe button).

Umm - sure! Do you want the case back? Or will the new board fit the old case?
Old Jul 09, 2009, 06:18 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,384 Posts
Graham,

replacement PCB will fit your old case, no worries there.

Paul.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 05:32 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,384 Posts
Postal complications

Aaaaah, it's hit me again. Another package lost in the system (international of course) and it's not a cheap one this time either (nearly $200).

Subsequently, I've now gone and culled from the NQRC country shipping list all the places that I consider to be 'risky destinations' in terms of postal service quality and/or ability to claim insurance.

People outside of the current list may possibly still purchase goods but they will have to subsequently agree to full tracking courier services (about $48 AUD), it's the best for everyone because that way I don't have to deal with trying to organise the insurance claims (which have to be submitted by the intended recipient of the goods in a lot of cases, and they usually don't want to do that because it's even MORE trouble for them), the recipient gets to watch/see their package move closer to them, so everyone feels more comfortable.

International postage (standard Airmail) to places like UK, US, NZ, etc are fine and very VERY rarely go astray more than 3 weeks, however with other places, particularly when you're dealing with a language/alphabet/charset barrier seem to vaporise a little too frequently, often just due to interpretation issues.

I'm sorry if this inconveniences people, I don't like it a lot myself, however for the good of the sanity of myself and future clients it's for the best. I do not want to levy a flat $10 fee on top of all international transactions as a form of insurance because that'll penalize the bulk of the buyers who are on quality postal routes for the sake of the infrequent ones.

Paul.
Old Aug 05, 2009, 06:35 PM
Next time I'll ARTF...
Joined Feb 2004
4,634 Posts
Thanks to our quality postal system - received the orders today thanks very much.

Those new normalisers are tiny!

G
Old Aug 05, 2009, 06:46 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,384 Posts
Graham,

Yes, they're a bit smaller than the last ones, and they do an even better job

I'm impressed the package has arrived already, there must be a priority for all mail heading your way (Political bias! ).

Paul.
Old Aug 05, 2009, 10:32 PM
Next time I'll ARTF...
Joined Feb 2004
4,634 Posts
It even likely came yesterday - I didn't get to my desk at all as I was out of town on a course.

When I came in this morning the normaliser was on my desk.

And the defect prize arrived soon after.