HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by PLD, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 02, 2009, 07:12 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Just an update on the Mountain Models order, the following is being shipped over;

(not all are available, some are already purchased)

2 x DL50
1 x QFII
1 x Hellcat
2 x LuckyAce (new kit from MM, looks like a Stik but quite nice)
3 x QFII short kits
3 x Slipso400 short kits
various booms (all allocated)
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2009, 08:24 AM
building building building!
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,103 Posts
Hi Paul, I have a question about your Laminating Film. I have a balsa 1913 Eastbourne Monoplane Kit that I will attempt to build in the next few months. The instructions ask for Litespan, Airspan or Silkspan to be used as the structure is "not stout enough to resist warping from the extreme shrink rates with iron on plastic coverings". I know the lamianting film shrinks, but do you think it would it be too much for this model considering the reccomendations?

Also, how do I pre-pay or hold a slipso kit before they arrive? I NEED one

Cheers, Aero.
aerophilia is online now Find More Posts by aerophilia
Old Jun 09, 2009, 08:41 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Aero,

Laminating film doesn't shrink dimensionally as much as normal plastic films, however it is imposes a strong (but short) pull. What wingspan is it? Perhaps the lighter 30 micron film might be more suited. I'd dare say that they're referring to things like Monokote as the "too strong" stuff, in which case I'd certainly say the 30 micron would be quite safe.

As for the Slipso400, I can put one up on the store for you now and you can go grab it

Paul.
Old Jun 09, 2009, 06:15 PM
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,103 Posts
Thanks Paul. All done. I figured the laminating film would be ok. I'll do some testing first. The wingspan is 42 and 1/2 inches. But it was designed around a speed 400 brushed motor and gearbox. AUW should be around 600 grams. Should be a real floater. So I think the lightweight laminating film will be perfect. I'll do some testing first so I don't warp the wings!
Old Jun 09, 2009, 08:27 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Aerophilia,

Right, now the fun part, waiting for the package to arrive According to "track and trace" it's probably sitting in Brisbane at the moment - I am going to seriously doubt the possibility of it arriving today, likely tomorrow.

Paul
Old Jun 09, 2009, 09:04 PM
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,103 Posts
Hi Paul, there's no problem on the timing for me. It will be a while before I start using the laminating film. I just wanted to get a slipso kit before they were all gone!
Old Jun 10, 2009, 07:11 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Server for NQRC is currently offline as the hosting provider changes their UPS *sigh*. Been off now for an hour, *chews fingernails*.

Time I think to change my server again, to something that has its own built in UPS
Old Jun 10, 2009, 08:36 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
If we're really lucky, we'll see both the circuit boards for the Lipo Normalisers and the MountainModel kits arrive today. If it's more like 'reality', then it'll probably be Monday

Paul.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 09:09 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Mountain Models package just arrived, alas a bit late in the day to get the orders out today.

Paul
Old Jun 11, 2009, 10:33 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Oh just BRILLIANT... the ISP hosting my machine has had something go AWOL again tonight... well, there goes my sales
Old Jun 11, 2009, 09:58 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Good news so far today;

Got the WWW/email box up and running again, turns out the ISP changed the networking configuration for their LAN about 8 months ago, my machine had been using the older settings the whole time and still managed to operate!

Also the circuit boards for the new batch of Normalisers has arrived today, nice to have my grubby paws on them, though I'll need to spend a couple of days setting up the solder paste stencils and parts for processing these larger boards.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 07:19 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2007
758 Posts
Hi Paul,

I have pointed the guys in your direction to answer electronics questions, hope you can help?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1054610&page=2

Regards

Barry Burke
Flying Barry is offline Find More Posts by Flying Barry
Old Jun 12, 2009, 07:25 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Hi there Barry,

I appreciate the vote of confidence I'll await their arrival.

Paul.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 07:49 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Normalisers - it starts again

Been working in the workshop all night, tweaking the design of the Normalisers a bit more to reduce their "off current" (down to below 2mA now) as well as a few other things.

The fun thing with analogue designs like this is that each time you get a new batch of parts you find you have to tweak everything again, especially new variants of the transistors because each brand/batch has a slightly different voltage property, while not normally something that matters it does with the normalisers where 20mV is a big difference.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 11:34 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Going insane

Really, tweaking these analogue circuits makes you realise why digital and microcontrollers are ever so popular now.

I have tried about 150 different combinations now to try and 'improve' on the previous setup but so far, no avail.

What makes things a lot harder with the Normaliser is the non-linear relationship between behaviour of the lipo and the circuit as it approaches the 'cutoff' point.

As we get closer to turning off, the current being discharged from the lipo decreases which causes the voltage of the lipo to actually start floating back up, however because there's a feedback in the circuit, it still keeps trying to turn it off, reducing the current from the lipo even more and the lipo floats up even more. All of this means that it's actually not easy to simulate/model the circuit. If you try to go by the ideal values you'll end up with a circuit that just doesn't work how you want.

Going the simple-way would mean using a microcontroller to turn on/off the setup, though it would also send the cost of the project sky-rocketing (more so now since the cost of microcontrollers is going up rather dramatically as demand outstrips supply).

At least the default/existing circuit still works well

Paul.