SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by PLD, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 24, 2009, 02:58 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
Well it's been a busy weekend, a lot of electronics work, though no new designs as such (however the pressure sensors did arrive but I suspect it's going to be a little while before I get to prototype with them).

Here's a picture of today's work...
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2009, 09:56 PM
Bush Mechanic
Mt. Dandenong, Australia
Joined Oct 2005
2,367 Posts
Paul,

The DL50 boom arrived today, safe and sound. It's a beauty.

Thanks,

Neil.
neilmny is offline Find More Posts by neilmny
Old May 24, 2009, 10:00 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
Neil,

Glad to hear it. I think there's more work in that postal tube than I normally put into packing *laugh*.

Paul.
Old May 25, 2009, 09:14 AM
I Crash Things!!
Euclid, Ohio
Joined Apr 2006
146 Posts
Question about seether COG

Paul, I have been following your designs for several years and finally ordered the seether short kit from Mountain Models (I'm in the US). Although they emailed me that their laser cutter was down, I will wait patiently. My experience as a designer and builder is intermediate to advanced, but my flying skills are much less. I hope I am not overreaching myself with the seether as my first flying wing. I also ordered the GWS 2205-15T V2 outrunner. One of the things that held me back was the English/Metric barrier on the designs (I blame it all on our Congress not accepting Thomas Jefferson's recommendation to use the metric system and not the English measurement system..Ha!). I have a small app on my desktop that does conversions, but metric is unfamiliar to me. While waiting, I am looking locally (Cleveland, Ohio) for laminating film suppliers.

Sorry to ramble. I do have a question. The build plan link mentions the COG at (65mm) 2.25 in to (70mm) 2.5 inches but my little converter app translates that to 2.55in and 2.75in. Which would be more correct? Keep up the good work.

Jerome (romranger)
romranger@gmail.com
romranger is offline Find More Posts by romranger
Old May 25, 2009, 06:42 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
My shipment of laminating film just arrived... lots and lots of 42 micron with extra glue as well as the very tough 80 micron (3mil).
Old May 25, 2009, 06:48 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
Rom,

CoG is 315~320mm (12.4~12.6") from the tip of the nose spike.

Good luck with it Fortunately because of the horizontal stab the CG isn't as critical as it is on a pure flying wing.

Paul.
Old May 25, 2009, 09:24 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
Updated PLD-BEC-1A

Just upgraded the simple PLD-BEC-1A unit to have a bit more stuff about it. Still the same price but fractionally heavier and larger due to the different wires and capacitors used.

http://www.nqrc.com/?vp=PLD-BEC-1A $19 AUD.
Old May 25, 2009, 11:55 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
... and now for something completely different ...

Not every day you see this happening (though it happens every day), large wasp taking a spider away to "somewhere" for food. From my understanding the spider isn't actually dead, it's just paralyzed and will remain alive for quite a while yet so that the larve of the wasp will have fresh food. Really, the insect world provides more than enough stories to keep horror movies going perpetually.

I have a video that I'm uploading to my server showing this happening, it's very fast.
Old May 25, 2009, 11:58 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
Here's a video of the event (3.5MB).

http://pldaniels.com/electronics/vid...ags-spider.avi
Old May 26, 2009, 08:16 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
2.4GHz gear

Back onto more R/C related stuff, I have a DX5e + AR500 receiver arriving this week which will spent a fair amount of time on the electronics shelf. It'll be used to validate/check things that I design/sell, since there have been spotted reports of issues with some Spektrum sets so spending this $150 or so will go a long way towards some better testing.

Paul.
Old May 26, 2009, 09:14 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
The Spektrum DX5e just arrived, nice little unit, I'd consider it "good value" for the price of $149 since it includes the receiver as well. This really is very much your JR Quattro type replacement except it has v-mix and the 5th channel. No real adjustments on it other than trims, makes you feel a bit powerless compared to things like the X2720 and X2610, though again, for the price it's good.

Nice to see these things using only 4 cells, makes it a lot cheaper for me on the Ni packs (Enerloops etc).

Everything thus far as gone well, binding occured immediately and the initial tests show that the LMAs do indeed work fine when plugged in the gear switch, next step is to try other areas

Paul.
Old May 27, 2009, 02:41 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,326 Posts
Paul, you aren't doing a lot for our Tourist industry, you know. What happened to cuddly Koalas and cute Kangaroos?

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by pldaniels
Not every day you see this happening (though it happens every day), large wasp taking a spider away to "somewhere" for food. From my understanding the spider isn't actually dead, it's just paralyzed and will remain alive for quite a while yet so that the larve of the wasp will have fresh food. Really, the insect world provides more than enough stories to keep horror movies going perpetually.

I have a video that I'm uploading to my server showing this happening, it's very fast.
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old May 27, 2009, 03:12 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
Well, I suppose that's a good thing right - no one turning up here unannounced and disturbing my hard work posting videos on RCGroups

Paul.
Old May 28, 2009, 09:18 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
New testing gear for R/C electronics

Here's a quick little picture of the gear I'm using for compatibility testing.

I've left out the GWS 6ch TX and R6N receivers but they also get used. In total now the setup includes;

* JR X2610 PPM -> GWS R8MSL+, GWS R6N, Corona 4S (synth)
* GWS 6ch TX -> GWS R8MSL+, GWS R6N, Corona 4S (synth)
* JR X2610 PCM -> JR RS77S (Synthesized)
...and now ...
* Spektrum DX5e -> AR500

To help see what's going on with the actual pulses I use a Velleman HPS10 hand-held 10Msps/1MHz portable oscilloscope (LCD display), it's very nice to use for the fact that you can capture/hold pulses and also set markers on the screen to measure pulses for duty, frequency, ripple, etc - certainly a lot easier than trying to measure off grid markers on a normal analogue scope

If devices pass through all this sort of testing and -still- doesn't work out on the field, then you're left with a choice of either pulling your hair out or buying yet more test gear
Old Jun 01, 2009, 12:54 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
Hi everyone, a short note to you all that I'm down and out with sickness. Hope to be back tomorrow.

Paul.