HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by PLD, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 03:26 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
Hey folks, I'm back again. Was another nasty 10 or so days for me just before - in and out of medical locations and lots of scans/tests. Fortunately so far everything has come back 'fine' -phew-

So, now time to get back to work... again.

Paul.
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2010, 08:29 AM
near the Beach
Joined Sep 2007
650 Posts
Hi Paul
Sorry to hear you have been at the Doc mate. My friend with neck pain and insomnia spend thousand on tests - nothing - then self-diagnosed using Google to a local type of tick-bite in UK... one month antibiotics fixed. The power of Google

I have one of your very cool PLD-PGMS-001: Programmable strobe (3ch) and the matching programmer PLD-SPI-001

Do I have to supply 2S 7.4v power to the PGMS board during programming? How do I no its ready.
Can you please guide me the link to any instructions on how to reprogram the LED controller. I have it plugged into Hyperterminal - What command would I send to get : -
1. Port Nav - on steady for 2Secs, 3 quick blinks off, repeat
2. Stb Nav - on steady for 2Secs, 3 quick blinks off, repeat
3. Strobe - white - 2 quick blinks in 1 sec, off for 2 secs, repeat
Anybody else with one of these please chime in.
AlouetteIII is offline Find More Posts by AlouetteIII
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 01, 2010, 09:03 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
AlouetteIII,

c1-2000,250,100,100,100,100,100,100
c2-2000,250,100,100,100,100,100,100
c3-250,250,250,2250

Try that

You don't need the 7.4V to the LEDs while programming but it does help you see what's happening. You will need power to the unit via the servo lead though (that supplies the 5V for the microcontroller -and- the SPI programming interface).

Paul.
Old Nov 02, 2010, 03:44 AM
near the Beach
Joined Sep 2007
650 Posts
Cheers Paul

Will give that a go when I get home tonight. Thanks...
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 02, 2010, 08:14 AM
near the Beach
Joined Sep 2007
650 Posts
Hi Paul

Worked great first time round. I made few small changes after watching the LED sequences 'live'. I plan to use an MPX connector to move it between 3 aircraft.

One Question - If I don't have a spare Rx channel is there a way to have it 'turn-on' ?
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 02, 2010, 08:22 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
Aaah, now that depends on the firmware version... I did try putting a 'forced on' state bit into the firmware that can be toggled from the terminal screen... let me open up my source code now...

Okay, when the terminal comes up, try just entering the single letter 't' on a line and pressing enter and then exiting the terminal session.

If you've got the right firmware, it'll stay "on" all the time.

To revert it back, use 'T' (uppercase).

Paul.
Old Nov 02, 2010, 08:29 AM
near the Beach
Joined Sep 2007
650 Posts
Ok Tried that... 't' causes it to stop sequencing, although c1 and C2 stay 'on'. Reverted to previous sequence by rewriting c1-3000,250,100,100,100,100,100,100. Not to worry.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 02, 2010, 08:32 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
Mmm.. okay, guess it's not the right firmware.

I should double-check the code again, sometimes I half-implement features and then roll them back (out) when they don't either fit or I cannot validate them.

Paul.
Old Nov 02, 2010, 06:17 PM
near the Beach
Joined Sep 2007
650 Posts
Paul can the Firmware still be updated to the 'f' or 'F' function by return mail? Really neat LED unit and the best thing for me is to set my own timing sequences - thanks.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 02, 2010, 07:37 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
AlouetteIII,

Yes, I can reflash the units to have the t/T function.

Just to validate, you're wanting to use that so that the unit will run the flashing-sequences without needing an RX channel (other than for 5V power).

Paul.
Old Nov 02, 2010, 07:59 PM
near the Beach
Joined Sep 2007
650 Posts
Hi Paul

That great. Yes I don't have a spare channel in my Rx for the F-18 I am building, so would be great to have it always on for this.

In the post...

Paul have you thought about making a similar programmable-delay timing gear door sequencer to be used on the new eTracts? I will be your first customer! I will send you one to play with for R&D free.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 02, 2010, 08:02 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlouetteIII View Post
Paul have you thought about making a similar programmable-delay timing gear door sequencer to be used on the new eTracts? I will be your first customer! I will send you one to play with for R&D free.
I'll have to look at these... is it a staged door-open system? At the moment the only thing I've got along those lines is the goslow module, though it's not staged but people frequently use a pair of them with slightly different rates.

Paul
Old Nov 02, 2010, 08:15 PM
near the Beach
Joined Sep 2007
650 Posts
Yes correct - The eTracts use a worm drive so no servo is required. I would propose a sequencer which interprets the gear switch position and triggers first the doors open/then the gear. The reverse for in so first the gear/then the doors close. They are very reliable and modular. EDF pilots in the States are struggling with mechanical doors on the new HL f-18, Eurofighter 90mm EDFs, and also the Big F-22 and Mig-29 twin 70mm all have gear doors which are mechanical. Many are just removing the doors.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 02, 2010, 08:48 PM
near the Beach
Joined Sep 2007
650 Posts
Paul

To be clear it would be a timer system like the LED light timer - It does not generate a servo signal,; merely acting as a programmable delay 'switch' connecting the wires at the programmed times; just like the led driver does for on and off. A variation of your LED device and not a new device. The model maker would simply install a servo for each door and your sequencer. You will see what I mean when you play with the eTract. They are weird these etracts - the idea would only be effective for them - would not work for both gear and doors having servos. The doors would always be instant - just delayed for closing.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 04, 2010, 07:21 PM
Weipa Queensland
Joined Jul 2007
180 Posts
Paul

I am really keen to hear more about your canine tracking beacon and if there is a possibility of an airbourne version. Between all the raucas bird chatter and mining equipment it is very hard to distinguish which beep is the right one.

cheers Tony
Tony Finn is offline Find More Posts by Tony Finn