HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by PLD, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 25, 2010, 07:57 PM
winds light to variable
Joined Apr 2009
989 Posts
Hoping the prognosis is positive . . . thoughts with you
Kookaburra is offline Find More Posts by Kookaburra
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2010, 09:30 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,404 Posts
Well, generally good news all around.

* I've got very high bloodpressure (200/100 in the office, probably 140/90 at home)
* My cholesterol is very high
* My liver is fatty (non-alcoholic-fatty-liver)
* My anxiety is still needing more control

Which is a lot better than what I was naturally fearing (cancer etc, take a look at a CT-scan and you'll get an idea of why it's easy to start freaking out at times )

The recent bout of inability-to-work seems to be due to a now-passed attack of glandular fever and both my wife and I (and even her mother it might seem) have been putting up with the pain that comes with an enlarged spleen and liver. It's almost over but we still have to go lightly.

At least production of the electronics is back up and running.

Now waiting on a batch of 1000 connectors and sockets.. as well as a new type of buzzer to replace the one being used on the current BAC units (for cost and build speed reasons) and of course a new set of PCBs to suit. Hopefully Monday.

Paul.
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
Old Jul 04, 2010, 10:19 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,404 Posts
Scheduled outage of NQRC/PLDaniels WWW server for Monday July 5 -

I'm changing my WWW server over to a new machine, this process will take a couple of hours as I have to shut down the current system in order to ensure that I don't end up with malformed/skewed databases and files.

Paul.
Old Jul 05, 2010, 03:09 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,404 Posts
NQRC is back online now.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 08:32 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,404 Posts
I've added a new variant of the PLD-BAC, simply put though it's just a BAC-004 with a buzzer that's 3mm shorter than the existing unit but with very similar audio output.

http://nqrc.com?vp=PLD-BAC-LP ($34 AUD, same as the BAC-004)

Last edited by PLD; Sep 12, 2010 at 01:47 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 01:26 AM
Find me a decent hill...
Australia, QLD, South Brisbane
Joined Jan 2010
132 Posts
Lost Model Alarm with 2.4 Ghz (Frsky)

Hi Paul

I have a Pathfinder LMA (www.firmtronics.com) and it does not work with my Frsky 2.4 receivers. (was using FM 40 M before swapping over).

The voltage sounding works fine but when you turn off receiver nothing ! Suggested solution was to EPA 125% for the channel.

Looking at getting your model for all my models now that I have changed to 2.4.

Question is , will they work?

Regards

Stu
Xgnr is offline Find More Posts by Xgnr
Old Sep 12, 2010, 01:46 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,404 Posts
I had a nice reply written out and the system lost it

Anyhow, in short, yes, the PLD-LMA-02 is known to work well with the Spektrum and other modern receivers that use a 2.7V output pulse (which is the cause of a lot of LMAs not to work - since they're looking for 3.3V or higher).

The only other big trick though is to make sure that the channel you're plugged into doesn't have a pulse-hold failsafe mode, else you'll need to change it to such that it drops to below 1300uS pulse width to trigger the LMA.

Paul.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 04:16 AM
Find me a decent hill...
Australia, QLD, South Brisbane
Joined Jan 2010
132 Posts
Thanks Paul

Looks like I will be placing an order shortly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pldaniels View Post
I had a nice reply written out and the system lost it

Anyhow, in short, yes, the PLD-LMA-02 is known to work well with the Spektrum and other modern receivers that use a 2.7V output pulse (which is the cause of a lot of LMAs not to work - since they're looking for 3.3V or higher).

The only other big trick though is to make sure that the channel you're plugged into doesn't have a pulse-hold failsafe mode, else you'll need to change it to such that it drops to below 1300uS pulse width to trigger the LMA.

Paul.
Xgnr is offline Find More Posts by Xgnr
Old Oct 10, 2010, 06:29 PM
winds light to variable
Joined Apr 2009
989 Posts
Hey Paul. It's quiet from Qld in these weeks :-o Hoping you're OK
Old Oct 10, 2010, 10:05 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,404 Posts
Have been very busy in a lot of areas in life. Still recovering medically too (anticipated full recovery in March 2011 - so long as I keep my exercise up ).

There's a chain of insanity flowing from the electronics suppliers which sadly is causing a knock-on effect to those whom I supply, nothing like being 'stuck in the middle'.

I'm also very busy promoting Elita's book, which takes up a lot of time in the form of being an active member amongst several book-enthusiast locations.

Many thanks for the concern though - it's been a rough 17 months so far. I will likely take a holiday in December, if I can do it right it'll be the first holiday in 14 years that I've actually -opted- to have.

Paul.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 02:47 AM
Weipa Queensland
Joined Jul 2007
180 Posts
Gday Paul

it sounds like you've got plenty on your plate but I was wondering if you might have any ideas on a tracking system for lost planes, your lma's are good if you have an idea where the plane is but if it just vanished there is no where to start looking, and after just loosing my 3m glider I really need to get a bit more tooled up incase I loose another one.

Tony
Tony Finn is offline Find More Posts by Tony Finn
Old Oct 22, 2010, 12:00 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,404 Posts
Tony,

I've considered a RF beacon to help locate downed planes, similar to what I created for animal-collars in the past. The upside of systems like this is that they will draw less power than an audiable LMA which can be a good thing if you have lost it over a wider area.

The trouble is, while the transmitter is easy (in the plane) the receiver is a bit trickier and requires some level of skill to use (directional antenna)... a more eloquent one could be made for a bit more $.

Range would be up to about 300m.

Paul.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 04:54 PM
winds light to variable
Joined Apr 2009
989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pldaniels View Post
I've considered a RF beacon to help locate downed planes, similar to what I created for animal-collars in the past.
I think it's very cruel of people to fly their pets in rough terrain.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 11:11 PM
Weipa Queensland
Joined Jul 2007
180 Posts
Paul

I think 300m would be pretty good, knowing the limitations of the search area I could facter that into doing a grid search.

Tony
Tony Finn is offline Find More Posts by Tony Finn
Old Oct 26, 2010, 03:11 PM
War is over (if you want it)
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,665 Posts
Paul,

Has there been any progress on the LiFe version of your great PLD-LMA-LVA? I could sure use a few with a fixed 6.3V alarm threshold in place of the 4-5cell auto-detect.

Jeremy
vespa is offline Find More Posts by vespa