HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by PLD, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 09:20 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,383 Posts
Discussion
General chatter thread

Just want to say hello, stopping in for a coffee, not a problem, pull up a page and chat.
PLD is online now Find More Posts by PLD
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2009, 09:31 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,383 Posts
Wow, it's finally happened, I managed to make NQRC into something that's worth of its own vendor section on RCGroups, even I'm slightly impressed considering where I started quite a few years ago.

I would have to say that the things which really made NQRC happen right was branching off into the inhouse electronics design (products like the BACs, IRMs and ESJs made NQRC a well known name among many R/C enthusiasts now) and of course the great model designs and partnership with MountainModels/LaserArts, namely the QFII and the Slipso400, both of which have now become an integral part of DLG and pylon racing respectively.

Of course, one cannot as usual rest on one's laurels, so I guess it's back to work for me.

My thanks go out to everyone who's been a client and those of you who went well beyond the normal level of interaction and put many hours into helping me develop products and guided me through the sometimes rough spots (like putting up with broken QFII kits two or three times in a row... ouch [ you know who you are ] ).

Paul.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 03:11 PM
Friday I'm in Love
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2008
469 Posts
great work paul
jimbyjoe is offline Find More Posts by jimbyjoe
Old Apr 24, 2009, 03:30 PM
Bush Mechanic
Mt. Dandenong, Australia
Joined Oct 2005
2,367 Posts
more info

Congratulations Paul.

You're a fair and honest designer and supplier of quality products, you deserve it.

Neil.
neilmny is offline Find More Posts by neilmny
Last edited by neilmny; Apr 24, 2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 04:48 PM
Heathcote, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
579 Posts
Paul, may you be flooded with Ruddollars. Hope it goes well
slowflow is offline Find More Posts by slowflow
Old Apr 24, 2009, 06:42 PM
Boston, MA subburb
Joined Sep 2004
1,180 Posts
Congratulations Paul,

I actually looked for you in the vendor's area about two month's ago. Maybe more RCers will learn what you have to offer.

Best of luck,
Alan
Al Offt is offline Find More Posts by Al Offt
Old Apr 24, 2009, 08:11 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,383 Posts
Morning everyone,

Just getting into the first cup for the day... at 11am *oops*. To be fair, I was up at 06H00 this morning for a bit of a dawn-watch.

Certainly hoping that things will pick up even more, the trend is heading that way with the electronics division (perhaps at some point I won't be seen as a generic store anymore ).

I things improve significantly enough, I might even be able to section off a part of this property and install a decent shed as a workshop/shop for people who happen to come past this way (not many but a couple a year - would be nice to offer them a chair and a coffee without being too embarrassed about the state of the workshop )

Paul.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 11:26 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,383 Posts
Well, since things are a bit quiet around here, I'd like to introduce my two workshop buddies, at least the two I've found so far while cleaning up the workshop a bit (and installing more sheeting on the walls).

Fortunately neither of them bother me while I am working, though one does have to be a little bit cautious when opening boxes or moving stuff around with the spider.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 01:44 AM
Bush Mechanic
Mt. Dandenong, Australia
Joined Oct 2005
2,367 Posts
Old Apr 29, 2009, 08:30 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,383 Posts
Neil,

Would you like me to ship you one in your next kit order?

Speaking of kits, the shipment from Mountain Models is now on its way over, alas I don't believe that your special boom made it due to supplier hiccups, but we'll see when it gets here
Old Apr 29, 2009, 05:22 PM
If it fly's I'll Crash it !!
Bloomfield, NM
Joined Jan 2009
86 Posts
Glad that isn't my workshop, there would be a brown pile next to the snake, I do windows, I do cooking, I even do laundry, but I don't do snakes.
Nice pic tho
RvMan56 is offline Find More Posts by RvMan56
Old Apr 29, 2009, 07:52 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,383 Posts
RvMan56,

Not a lot to worry about regarding the "snake". It's actually a Spotted Python, perhaps one of the most sedate pythons around, very popular as a beginners python if you're keeping them in captivity

Paul.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 08:11 PM
Bush Mechanic
Mt. Dandenong, Australia
Joined Oct 2005
2,367 Posts
They obviously serve no purpose in the erradication of giant spiders
Old Apr 29, 2009, 08:24 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,383 Posts
Was thinking last night about an "even better" lost-model-alarm and came down to the idea of putting a RF beacon in the plane... something about 10g or so, self contained lipo that charges itself from the main 5V, gives a couple of days of transmitting power, enough power to be picked up within a 100m radius, compact antenna.

I've already got the gear and the expertise on building things like this because I did it with some wildlife tracking collar systems before, the question/trick though is to make it usable/practical for the general modelling group.

Paul
Old Apr 29, 2009, 08:34 PM
Bush Mechanic
Mt. Dandenong, Australia
Joined Oct 2005
2,367 Posts
Interesting but would RF inteference (swamping) be an issue if accidently activated in flight. It would need to be failsafe perhaps.