HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by PLD, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 02:37 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
Well, I'll check them out... was looking for something in the region of having 300mAh so that it could last a day or two before wearing down.

Thanks for the link/PDF.

btw, have you seen the updates on the 3A regulator?

Paul.
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2009, 06:10 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,326 Posts
Yep, it's a nice looking unit and I'm a fan of linear regulators near radio gear.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by pldaniels View Post

btw, have you seen the updates on the 3A regulator?

Paul.
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Dec 11, 2009, 06:28 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
I agree... it's already troublesome enough to deal with servo noise being radiated via long leads in amongst ESC noise and everything else.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 03:27 AM
Twisted and Confused
Joined May 2003
4,307 Posts
Paul

I'd be interested in a switch jack that the pin plugs into the face of the board rather than the side as yours do now (make sense? Can't think of a better way to describe it). That way it would be a doddle to install on the inside of a canopy etc. and take up a lot less room.

Steve
flyonline is offline Find More Posts by flyonline
Old Dec 12, 2009, 04:11 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
Steve, I know what you're referring to, basically you want something you can mount more as a face-plate with the socket running perpendicular to the plane of the PCB.

The only real immediate option is to use a barrel mount 3.5mm socket (or anything else) and have it connected via a short length of lead.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 04:27 AM
Twisted and Confused
Joined May 2003
4,307 Posts
Hmm, hadn't considered an extension but then that's something else that can go wrong.....
Old Dec 12, 2009, 05:24 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
That's where the failsafe design aspect comes in very handy. If the cable breaks, the power stays on, thankfully
Old Mar 03, 2010, 04:46 PM
Twisted and Confused
Joined May 2003
4,307 Posts
You might have looked at this already, but how about a magnetic actuated switch jack?

Along the lines of this.

Way cool, but waaaaay expenisve!

Steve
Old Mar 03, 2010, 05:34 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
Woo, exotic. I do already have a design that can do that (the ESJs actually can do it, you just have to solder on a magnetic reed switch or suitable on/off sensor.

I put up a reed-switch + magnet version a while ago but there was no response... probably not helped by the fact that I didn't really have a suitable low-cost housing solution for the reed and the magnet (that invariably ends up being the costly bit).

Paul
Old Mar 04, 2010, 12:19 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,326 Posts
Crazy idea

What about a mercury switch? Small, self contained, rugged, cheap. Handles 500mA @120V. Altronics S 3072 paqe 271 in the new catalogue.
Turn the model upside down to turn it off. Will continue to work under all conditions of +ve G in flight which covers most of my intentional flying.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by pldaniels View Post
Woo, exotic. I do already have a design that can do that (the ESJs actually can do it, you just have to solder on a magnetic reed switch or suitable on/off sensor.

I put up a reed-switch + magnet version a while ago but there was no response... probably not helped by the fact that I didn't really have a suitable low-cost housing solution for the reed and the magnet (that invariably ends up being the costly bit).

Paul
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Dec 20, 2011, 07:01 PM
KJ4WFG
United States, SC, York
Joined Dec 2007
557 Posts
A thought

Hi Paul -- I recently replaced a shaft in a BL motor that I'd been flying for over a year on an indoor foamie, and I decided to replace the (soldered together) ESC with a new one while I was at it. I hooked the refurbished motor/ESC combo up to my Rx, turned on the Tx, plugged in a 3S LiPo, and throttled up to check out the motor operation. I immediately lost the magic smoke

I realized that the problem might be a defective new ESC, or I might have damaged the motor windings or terminations when I replaced the shaft. Later.......... browsing to restock my supply of ESC's and BL motors, I read fairly frequent user comments having the same problem with loss of magic on new equipment initial power up (not just with H.K. products either). Hmmm.......

I've read that a new power combo should be initially checked out with a current limiter to allow problems to be found without smoking everything in the circuit. I guess there could be a variety of problems that would result in frying a new set up, and wondered if there's an opportunity for a PLD gadget to identify bad components in a new power set up without smoking everything that's hooked up. (?)

Feliz Navidad.................. R
modbuilder is offline Find More Posts by modbuilder
Old Dec 20, 2011, 08:06 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
It's likely not a device that could be made practically and cost-effectively. What parts are letting out the magic smoke?
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:43 PM
KJ4WFG
United States, SC, York
Joined Dec 2007
557 Posts
I know for certain that the ESC fried, but I don't know what caused it - a short in the ESC or a short in the motor. I don't know enough about BL motor wiring to trust that I can check it effectively with a digital VOM. All the resistances I can check are pretty low on all the paths I can think to check. I'm reluctant to hook up another ESC to the motor until I have way to protect it.
modbuilder is offline Find More Posts by modbuilder