HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2009, 01:43 PM
SuperCub Crash Test Pilot
Laveen, AZ
Joined Sep 2007
417 Posts
Link
How to get around YouTube's Audio Content ID System

I found a great article on how YouTube's Audio Content ID System works, and ways to get around it. The author tested various methods of manipulating the audio tracks to find out which ones would dependably pass through YouTube's filters.

The conclusion... Speeding up or slowing down the audio track by 5% or more had the best results.

All of the details can be found here: http://www.csh.rit.edu/~parallax/

Disclaimer: Use this information at your own risk.

- Matt
clipper453 is offline Find More Posts by clipper453
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2009, 08:33 AM
Vaulnaveys-le-bas, France
Joined Apr 2005
745 Posts
Very interesting.
Thanks for sharing !
Marc
marckossa is offline Find More Posts by marckossa
Old Apr 24, 2009, 08:55 AM
Kite flying SCRAPS member
Hampshire, UK
Joined Apr 2004
978 Posts
Hmmm so that's a bit like someone using your AP photos, changing them a bit and not paying you any fees or royalties to use them. I am certainly not innocent when it comes to using copyrighted music on my AP videos, but the youtube thing has got me thinking that there is so much really good royalty free music out there we should all help the struggling artists. So a change from me from now on

Here's a good site to start with

Cheers
DaveB...>
GliderGuideMan is offline Find More Posts by GliderGuideMan
Old Apr 24, 2009, 09:38 AM
Joined Jun 2008
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GliderGuideMan
Hmmm so that's a bit like someone using your AP photos, changing them a bit and not paying you any fees or royalties to use them. I am certainly not innocent when it comes to using copyrighted music on my AP videos, but the youtube thing has got me thinking that there is so much really good royalty free music out there we should all help the struggling artists. So a change from me from now on

Here's a good site to start with

Cheers
DaveB...>
Even if the artists aren't "struggling", its just the right thing to do. dittos.

Although, the technology involved in song identification is simply mind-blowingly incredible, that article is interesting because it gives you a peek into that technology
man4mac is offline Find More Posts by man4mac
Old Apr 24, 2009, 09:54 AM
Laveen, AZ
Joined Sep 2007
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GliderGuideMan
Hmmm so that's a bit like someone using your AP photos, changing them a bit and not paying you any fees or royalties to use them. I am certainly not innocent when it comes to using copyrighted music on my AP videos, but the youtube thing has got me thinking that there is so much really good royalty free music out there we should all help the struggling artists...
Dave,

I'm certainly in agreement that the artists should not suffer, but this is really a record label issue, and the artists unfortunately have little to say in the matter. If less companies took Warner Music Group's approach, and decided to work with YouTube instead of against it, everyone would win. See quote from article below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheArticle
Some labels got the right idea, though. Instead of demanding that any infringing content be taken down, some chose to promote their material or insert links to pay music sites where you could purchase the songs that were being played. That was an amazing idea: It permitted the users to basically do whatever they wanted copyright-wise, while still driving traffic and potential sales to legitimate music retailers.

That worked well enough for a time, but the media companies weren't satiated yet. A slew of legal threats, negotiations, and all-around chicanery ensued. After all, YouTube was making money by running ads alongside videos which often contained material from these companies, and they all wanted a piece.

Unfortunately, nothing seemed to please Warner Music Group, who left the talks without reaching an agreement. They then demanded that YouTube remove every single piece of WMG-owned media on the site. Videos disappeared all over the place.
While I think the techniques demonstrated in this article are fascinating, I would much rather feature songs in my videos in which the record labels have worked out agreements YouTube to include links to purchase the songs.

I'd love to put together a list of record labels that do that. So far, I only know of one -- Flip/Geffen (who apparently owns the rights to Limp Bizkit's "Rollin" that I recently saw used in a YouTube video).

Anyone else know of other record labels that support this idea?

- Matt
Old Apr 24, 2009, 11:22 AM
FPV Pilot
United States, MT, Missoula
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Using copyrighted music is a tough call. I think in are type of videos it's petty harmless and it's not like where making copies and charging for them cause that wouldn't be right. I have a good friend that owns a record label, radio station and plays in a few bands and he let me use his music in a couple of videos and he noticed an increase in sales along with purchases of the said songs during the first week I uploaded the video. We decided to try it again and noticed we got the same results. He looks at it as free advertising now and thinks it's fine as long as you give credit to the artist.

Here's one of the videos.

FPV in Mojave Part 4 Two Aircraft (4 min 27 sec)
Crash9 is offline Find More Posts by Crash9
Old Apr 24, 2009, 03:51 PM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,072 Posts
I also agree it's just free advertising for the artist. We should be getting paid for using their songs.
bracky72 is offline Find More Posts by bracky72
Old Apr 24, 2009, 03:55 PM
Laveen, AZ
Joined Sep 2007
417 Posts
One could also claim that copyrighted songs used as background music in our aerial videos constitutes "Fair Use". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

Consider this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In August 2008 U.S. District Judge Jeremy Fogel of San Jose, California ruled that copyright holders cannot order a deletion of an online file without determining whether that posting reflected "fair use" of the copyrighted material. The case involved Stephanie Lenz, a writer and editor from Gallitzin, Pennsylvania, who made a home video of her 13-month-old son dancing to Prince's song Let's Go Crazy and posted the 29-second video on YouTube. Four months later, Universal Music, the owner of the copyright to the song, ordered YouTube to remove the video enforcing the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Lenz notified YouTube immediately that her video was within the scope of fair use, and demanded that it be restored. YouTube complied after six weeks, not two weeks as required by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Lenz then sued Universal Music in California for her legal costs, claiming the music company had acted in bad faith by ordering removal of a video that represented fair-use of the song.[23] Warner Music Group has followed suit, ignoring fair-use and deleting any video with music that they have rights over--no matter how big or small the audio clip is.
Old May 01, 2009, 01:31 AM
Laveen, AZ
Joined Sep 2007
417 Posts
I received my first YouTube "Audio Content ID" notice today. It stated the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouTube
Dear clipper453,

Your video, Flying into the Monsoon, may have content that is owned or licensed by UMG.

No action is required on your part; however, if you are interested in learning how this affects your video, please visit the Content ID Matches section of your account for more information.

Sincerely,
- The YouTube Team
What's funny is that this video was posted to YouTube back on August 26, 2008! (I wonder why it took them so long to catch it with their Content ID system.)

In any case, I went to the video page, and much to my surprise, they didn't remove the video or even mute the audio. Apparently, UMG is one of the few record labels that has chosen to work with YouTube, so they just included links to purchase the song from iTunes or Amazon. Very nice!

I can't say it's one of my better song selections for a video, but at least it goes with the subject of the video.

- Matt

Flying into the Monsoon (6 min 6 sec)
Old May 01, 2009, 01:32 AM
Laveen, AZ
Joined Sep 2007
417 Posts
Whoops... I missed the part about looking at the "Content ID Matches" section of my account. Here's what it said:

In the "Content ID Matches" section of my account, it stated this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouTube
Your video, Flying into the Monsoon, may have audio content from Monsoon by Tokio Hotel that is owned or licensed by UMG.
As a result, your video is blocked everywhere except in these locations:
American Samoa, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Christmas Island, Cocos (Keeling) Islands, Cuba, Fiji, France, Germany, Guam, Heard Island and McDonald Islands, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Kiribati, Mexico, Nauru, Netherlands, New Zealand, Niue, Norfolk Island, Northern Mariana Islands, Papua New Guinea, Puerto Rico, Solomon Islands, South Korea, Spain, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu, United Kingdom, United States, United States Virgin Islands, Vanuatu

What should I do?

No action is required on your part. In some cases ads may appear next to your video. If you want to make your video available globally you can use AudioSwap to replace the audio in your video with a track from our library of pre-licensed songs.

Under certain circumstances, you may dispute the copyright claim from UMG. These may be any of the following:

* the content is mistakenly identified and is actually completely your original creation;
* you believe your use does not infringe copyright (e.g. it is fair use under US law);
* you are actually licensed by the owner to use this content.
Old May 01, 2009, 02:48 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,918 Posts
Darn good thing it's not blocked in Vanuatu.

I think if you bought the music CD, you should be able to use that music on your video. Apparently the courts don't see it that way.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old May 01, 2009, 07:47 AM
Did you get it on video?
USA, FL, Miramar Beach
Joined Nov 2005
6,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murocflyer
Darn good thing it's not blocked in Vanuatu.

I think if you bought the music CD, you should be able to use that music on your video. Apparently the courts don't see it that way.

Frank

The problem isn't with us...

Technically we're doing nothing wrong, using that music, in our videos.

The problem is, YouTube advertises on it's site.

When we use copyrighted music in our videos, and it's published on YouTube, they then, are profiting from the copyrighted music indirectly.

So YouTube, in order to keep from violating copyright law, doesn't let that copyrighted material onto it's site.
Flying-Monkey is offline Find More Posts by Flying-Monkey