Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 23, 2009, 10:10 AM
If it can-it will!
Gower South Wales UK
Joined May 2007
2,075 Posts
Discussion
Problems running digi servos on 6 volt.

Is it me? Or has anyone else had problems with digi servos on 6volt.

Three times I've tried using digital servos on all moving stabs.
Three times they've died on the bench without even being flown.

In all instances they worked for maybe half an hour, before giving up with electronic problems.
The source of power has been 5 pack Nimh batteries-none straight off a charger to eliminate any over voltage.

The servos in question have been- Hyperion DS13, Hitec HS 5085 and Hitec HS 5065.
All servos stated ok for 6 volt operation.

Anyone else had similar probs.- maybe really only safe on 4.8volt?

Cliff
cliffhanger is offline Find More Posts by cliffhanger
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2009, 10:57 AM
fun is the goal
USA, NY, Albany
Joined Dec 2003
1,556 Posts
I have no idea, but you should be able to return those Hitecs and get replacements.
AndreasMergner is offline Find More Posts by AndreasMergner
Old Apr 23, 2009, 12:35 PM
Go fast, turn hard
Berkshire, England
Joined Aug 2006
1,202 Posts
Cliffhanger,
Have you measured the current draw? I find it a very useful tool when putting in servos. Take an extension lead and cut the red or black wire. Stick in an ammeter (one with capture is best) and run the surface on the bench from the transmitter. If you are drawing more than 150mAh at 6V, there is a problem in the linkage. Burning up three on the trot would indicate that one of two things is happening.

1) The linkage is binding and the current draw of the servo is going through the roof.

or

2) You have a bad cell and your pack is way higher voltage than you think. Put a voltmeter in parallel with the pack and watch the voltage as you run the controls. A binding servo will register as a big voltage drop. The pack may show 7+ volts for a second or two, but should drop into the 6's as soon as you start running the servos.

If it is the servos, why does it keep buring up just the elevator?

Cheers,
Paul
Tailslide UK is offline Find More Posts by Tailslide UK
Old Apr 23, 2009, 01:45 PM
If it can-it will!
Gower South Wales UK
Joined May 2007
2,075 Posts
Thanks for the tip about measuring the current draw.

This has happened with two different models, and different battery packs-one AA the other AAA.

When I then exchanged them for an analogue HS 85 or 65 things worked fine.

I only used the digital servo for elevator control, as both these models had extreme pull/pull throws a la "Madslide"

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced electronic failure on 6 volt.

Cliff
cliffhanger is offline Find More Posts by cliffhanger
Old Apr 23, 2009, 05:49 PM
Bash Burn Bury
Vic
Joined Dec 2007
1,351 Posts
I run all of those servos on 6 volts, no dramas so far, must be something else to it. (I hope!)

Steve
SLOPE HEAD is offline Find More Posts by SLOPE HEAD
Old Apr 23, 2009, 06:21 PM
Phil.T-tailer
Devon, UK
Joined Jun 2003
4,205 Posts
Cliff - gotta ask - have they died "free" or whilst the AMT has been up against something & the servo has been valiantly trying to centre the AMT?
IIRC digitals pull way more current around the centre point? (actually, the main point of digitals)

Actually, thinking about it, the only plane I've got with 5x cells is the Kulbutin (came with it) - and its got a big fat (standard or bigger than?) cheapo digital servo on the crazy AMT (came with it, but on the rudder, go figure!) - no probs so far...

Phil
Phil.Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Phil.Taylor
Last edited by Phil.Taylor; Apr 23, 2009 at 06:26 PM.