HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2009, 02:33 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2008
922 Posts
New Product
Walkera "giant lama" Lama 400 RTF helicopter

These Lama's are getting bigger and bigger with Walkera's new Lama 400 helicopter. Measuring 650mm in length with lighting and moving tail rotor blade!! The tail rotor is power by motor but it is just for looks not functional. This is a very stable and realistic helicopter.
ehirobo is offline Find More Posts by ehirobo
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2009, 02:44 AM
She black, she fly fast.
London
Joined Feb 2009
192 Posts
Still no cyclic/collective control to the top rotor blades though. What's the point in having a CX so big you can't fly it safely indoors?

However, they are also bringing out a traditional CP version that's fully 3D with a working fenestron(!): the "59DQ".

http://www.walkera.com/en1/particular.jsp?pn=Z259DQ001

www.rcmods.co.uk have ordered a sample and say if it's as good as it looks they will stock them. And then I'll probably buy one!
thesteelcube is offline Find More Posts by thesteelcube
Last edited by thesteelcube; Apr 23, 2009 at 03:29 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 11:00 AM
Buy, Mod, Fly, Sell, Repeat
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
1,873 Posts
Wow!! These are nice. 650mm = 25+ inches! 2 Feet Long! WOW!

The 59#DQ is a great looking scale heli. That tail rotor really makes it!! So COOL!
JHawk19 is offline Find More Posts by JHawk19
Old Apr 23, 2009, 11:10 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,697 Posts
That is a wild looking heli and the tail rotor kicks ass. Too bad it's Walkera.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Apr 23, 2009, 11:13 AM
She black, she fly fast.
London
Joined Feb 2009
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14
Out of interest, who would you rather it was made by?
Old Apr 23, 2009, 11:23 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteelcube
Out of interest, who would you rather it was made by?
Just about anyone. They have a long history of sub-standard aluminum and fasteners, poor quality motors and iffy electronics. They use the general public as beta testers, so it's usually the 3rd generation of any model before they get it reasonably good.

You really have to pick and choose what's good and what's not with Walkera; much more so than any other vendor.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 11:31 AM
She black, she fly fast.
London
Joined Feb 2009
192 Posts
Hmm... I must be one of the lucky ones then. OK, how about this heli as a suitable replacement for 59DQ:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=991625
Old Apr 23, 2009, 11:39 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,697 Posts
Quote:
Hmm... I must be one of the lucky ones then. OK, how about this heli as a suitable replacement for 59DQ:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=991625
Walkera quality improves with larger helis, but you will find out about the soft aluminum and poor fasteners soon enough if you have to do repairs. It's not universal, and some of their upgrade parts are very desirable (I think someone else makes them). It's a real "crap shoot".

The TT Innovator 530 is definitely on my list of "must have" helis. But, I need a job first.

Just FYI: it was introduced at $499 and the price has been bumped because of demand. I'd wait for it to come down again.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 12:37 PM
She black, she fly fast.
London
Joined Feb 2009
192 Posts
I acknowledge everything you say, but I've also had trouble with ESky and E-flight (had to reboot the Blade CX3's 3-in-1 box yet?). To be honest, for 140 or less for an RTF system my expectations are pretty low. You definitely get what you pay for!
Old Apr 23, 2009, 12:55 PM
NooB micro pilot
Southeastern, PA
Joined Dec 2008
139 Posts
Quote:
However, they are also bringing out a traditional CP version that's fully 3D with a working fenestron(!): the "59DQ".
To affectionately become known in the US as the "Dairy Queen"?
microair is offline Find More Posts by microair
Old Apr 23, 2009, 01:45 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,697 Posts
Quote:
I acknowledge everything you say, but I've also had trouble with ESky and E-flight (had to reboot the Blade CX3's 3-in-1 box yet?). To be honest, for 140 or less for an RTF system my expectations are pretty low. You definitely get what you pay for!
I can accept cost cutting to a degree, they all do it. But, using foil brushes means you are intentionally making a motor that won't last very long, making a higher priced upgrade the only logical choice. I have a real problem with companies that do that. What else are they going to try and pull?
Old Apr 23, 2009, 01:58 PM
Buy, Mod, Fly, Sell, Repeat
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
1,873 Posts
Quote:
I can accept cost cutting to a degree, they all do it. But, using foil brushes means you are intentionally making a motor that won't last very long, making a higher priced upgrade the only logical choice. I have a real problem with companies that do that. What else are they going to try and pull?
Which Manufacturer are you referring to here. Just for my future reference.

I know that I've already replaced motors in my V3 and V4.
JHawk19 is offline Find More Posts by JHawk19
Old Apr 23, 2009, 02:13 PM
Joined Dec 2007
6,515 Posts
Quote:
I always felt the same way Balr but Im starting to come around on the larger Walkeras. They seem to really be ramping up the quality on them. I have the DQ and the 500 series Enerco coming from John as we speak. It still pains me a bit top drop well over a grand on 2 "Walkeras" but I like my 2801 TX much better than my DX7 so Im going to give them the chance on the big helis. The other 400 sized helis are getting pretty good reviews so far (Creata and 60B) My 4G3 on the other hand took almost 200 bucks worth of brushless mods to get right but its great now (and a total of 500.00 later)
Dont bother with the first version DQ anyone. Its all plastic with brushed main and brushless tail for about 300 bucks but they have told us that it will be released soon in full brushless, metal head and possibly seperates similar to to the 60B for around the 360.00 range and you just gotta love that scale tail!

WALKERA 59DQ MOVIES (1 min 12 sec)
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Last edited by Xrayted; Apr 23, 2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 04:37 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHawk19
Which Manufacturer are you referring to here. Just for my future reference.

I know that I've already replaced motors in my V3 and V4.
All brushed motors begin to fail as soon as you start using them; nature of the beasts. Most brushed RC motors are good for 5 - 50 hours. But, Walkera is the only one using copper foil brushes. You can measure the life of those motors in minutes. Check all the motor replacement threads for various 4-3 and 5-6 models.

The 59DQ will have a brushed motor that won't last worth a crap, then a version with brushless, but it will have ESC, gyro and other odd motor problems and the 3rd version will be OK.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 05:44 PM
She black, she fly fast.
London
Joined Feb 2009
192 Posts
Quote:
The 59DQ will have a brushed motor that won't last worth a crap, then a version with brushless, but it will have ESC, gyro and other odd motor problems and the 3rd version will be OK.
Maybe, or they've reused electronic modules from their existing mature range (as they have with the 53Q3), in which case you'll just need to replace the motors... which you always have to do with most of these micro helis anyway (E-Flight I'm looking at you ).

I really do believe Walkera are raising their game lately - look at the video of DQ in flight. ESky on the other hand appear to have lost the plot (500-size Lama anyone? )

Walkera's PROs are that:
(a) Their OEM LiPo batteries and chargers are very respectable, which is great. I got a small collection of them now that I use everywhere.
(b) Their range are all 2.4GHz now. That new ESky EK1H-E020 RTF is still on the old 72MHz band - unacceptable.
(c) Their transmitters are also very respectable to use. When I looked at that Thunder Tiger Innovator review I looked at their transmitter and immediately thought "Oh, and on top of the huge price tag I have to replace that noddy transmitter as well. Great."

I just feel compelled to defend Walkera on this matter - ALL these companies cut corners, they just do it in different areas.