SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 22, 2009, 05:19 PM
Stantheman
LaGrange, Ky.
Joined May 2004
431 Posts
Discussion
What is the best scale/semi-scale RTR boat for me?

Hello everyone. I am a very experienced rc aircraft pilot AND builder. I have also built a number of Midwest's scale boats for static display. I am retired now and living the dream in a very nice apartment where my modeling space is limited but adequate for "reasonable" projects. I am selling all of my aircraft equipment except for one electric (Multiplex EasyStar) and I have decided to get a rc boat. I love building but it is just not necessary (evidently) anymore. When I started flying over 35 years ago the only way to get airborne was to build an airplane. But today there are rtf aircraft that would take months to build from a kit and many/most of those rtf models are better than the average modeler could duplicate. The same could be said for rc boating as well, I'm sure. For that reason and due to the fact that I am on the "final approach" of life, I have decided to purchase a rtr boat to enjoy in the small lake/pond near where I live.
I have no interest in speed but rather slow scale-like realism. I have been searching the internet and lurking here for several weeks seeking knowledge and scuttlebutt.
I am leaning toward boats similar to Thunder Tiger's Catherine Trawler or their Kingfisher Fishing Boat as well as the Aquacraft Bristol Bay. Then just today I stumbled across the Pro Boat Classic Runabout EP which also piqued my interest.
If anyone has any experience or suggestions regarding any of these boats or any other similar class boats I would certainly welcome all responses.
Thanks, Stan
Stantheman is offline Find More Posts by Stantheman
Last edited by Stantheman; Apr 22, 2009 at 05:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2009, 05:56 PM
What is this a center for ants
United States, CA, Beverly Hills
Joined Jul 2007
2,277 Posts
Those are all good choices. If speed is not your thing, I would go with one of the Thunder Tiger trawlers. They are very detailed and you get a fair amount of runtime.
avidjeepr is offline Find More Posts by avidjeepr
Old Apr 22, 2009, 08:28 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,984 Posts
The Thunder Tiger trawlers are very nicely done models. Highly recommended. The Bristol Bay is a super model as well. Not as accurate in detailing as the Thunder Tiger, but it can easily be upgraded with "G Scale" accessories from model train outfits. It is also substantially larger than the Thunder Tiger models.

The Proboat Classic is a gorgeous looking boat, a direct copy of the Dumas Barrelback runabout. But there have been inconsistencies in the quality from batch to batch. Caveat Emptor.

Some of the offerings from IMEX Model Boats (click on their ad banner) look like they would fit your requirements. Lots of scale working boats in their lineup. The jury is still out on quality and delivery ability and customer service.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Apr 24, 2009, 02:10 AM
Stantheman
LaGrange, Ky.
Joined May 2004
431 Posts
Thanks for your responses. Based mostly on your suggestions I have decided to purchase the Thunder Tiger Lobmaster. Especially since I discovered that it is an exact duplicate of the Artesania Latina Atlantis static display boat which I built several years ago. Even the colors on the box are the same although I changed the colors on the Atlantis quite a bit.
Now, are there any suggestions as to where might be the best place to order it from based on price and customer service. None of the local hobby shops in the Louisville area sell the Thunder Tiger fishing boats. Neither does Tower Hobbies which I have dealt with many times.
Thanks, Stan
Stantheman is offline Find More Posts by Stantheman
Old Apr 24, 2009, 02:47 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,984 Posts
Right here:

http://www.thundertiger4u.com/thunde...at-p-7513.html

Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Apr 24, 2009, 02:50 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,624 Posts
The TT Lobmaster & Artesania Latina Atlantis are exact duplicates since they come from the same factory in China, KY Model, that supplies both companies in addition to the RTR models Graupner, IMEX, Deans & a few others offer. We have a Catherine in our club & its a nice model although we've had an issue with the esc & radio which have been replaced.

ProBoat gets their line from FuYuanRC
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill