SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:39 AM
fly low, fly fast, fly 3d
United Kingdom, England, Luton
Joined Dec 2011
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPilot1234 View Post
Right I'm pretty much finished! Just need to install the elevator servo and pushrods + rudder pushrods, and after I've done the throws and wired all the servos up nicely I'm done

I really like this Kontronik Koby 55 LV ESC. Whilst it is very expensive, the way it is programmed via the Kontronik Prog.Disc is super cool One feature I found very useful is throttle calibration. On my Castle ESCs, setting up a manual throttle curve is a little bit more complicated + slow, having to plug it in to the computer, selecting 'manual' throttle curve, then going through the series of beeps by adjusting the end points. On this Koby with the ProgDisc, it's really simple; you just plug the ESC into the ProgDisc and plug the ProgDisc into your receiver, select throttle stick, then just click max throttle and raise your throttle stick on your TX, then select minimum throttle and just lower the throttle stick on your TX. Takes at most 15 seconds Another thing which is really cool is that when the throttle response is set to 'Very Hard', the motor is incredibly sharp and responsive I really like the Castle's throttle response when set to 10, but I'd say this is actually even more responsive Should make the plane fly great

The MKS DS95 servos seem to be working well The only thing is that due to their increased depth you need to expand the servo slots. Not necessarily a problem but once you do slide them in you'll find they wobble a bit forward and back. It makes it near impossible to catch a proper thread in the wood. What I've down is fill the wood with some CA and screwed into it once it was set. Additionally, I've put some hot glue on the top of the servo case + put some cross weave tape on top. Looks a bit tacky but not too bad Most importantly if I do ever have to take the servos out, I can, unlike if I were to stick them down with just CA (well I probably could if I just used CA but it would be harder, haha! )
that esc sounds sweet
nathan100 is offline Find More Posts by nathan100
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:01 AM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
4,097 Posts
If you can handle the high price of those ESCs ($190 for the 55 LV) they should be as bullet proof as you can get. I looked but couldn't justify the expense
Liberty10 is offline Find More Posts by Liberty10
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:57 AM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan100 View Post
that esc sounds sweet
Certainly seems to be! It's built very well indeed Can't wait to fully test it out in the air!
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:06 AM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty10 View Post
If you can handle the high price of those ESCs ($190 for the 55 LV) they should be as bullet proof as you can get. I looked but couldn't justify the expense
Indeed they do seem very pricey considering spec-wise it's pretty much no different from your standard ESC.

Looking at US prices on the Kontronik stuff it appears to be that you guys don't get a particularly good deal, probably because it's a German company and additional taxes have to be put on for importation. Although in the US the Castle stuff appears to be a lot cheaper than here in Europe.

I haven't actually had any problems with Castle. The ICE Lite 50 on my MXS has been working like a champ I've just been a little bit freaked out by the stories of them failing. People over at HeliFreak said Kontronik is pretty much the best you can get so I'll try and just use this from now on, assuming I have no problem with these ESCs!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCPilot1234; Feb 17, 2013 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:16 AM
Joined Dec 2011
564 Posts
i just came back from 3 awesome flights
even managed to bring myself to do some precision flying
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:25 AM
Yin & Yang
Joined Jul 2011
4,097 Posts
I have no doubt that they are great ESCs. German tech typically has very stringent specs on the parts that go into something and then they under rate the end product so failures are rare if at all due to end user going a little beyond their ratings. Germans have long had a rep for building things that last.. But you do very much pay for that. Just look at this 120A HC ESC at $550 who can afford to spend more on the ESC than on the motor?
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:36 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan100 View Post
i just came back from 3 awesome flights
even managed to bring myself to do some precision flying
Precision flying when I flew my friends Extra was awesome!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:38 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty10 View Post
I have no doubt that they are great ESCs. German tech typically has very stringent specs on the parts that go into something and then they under rate the end product so failures are rare if at all due to end user going a little beyond their ratings. Germans have long had a rep for building things that last.. But you do very much pay for that. Just look at this 120A HC ESC at $550 who can afford to spend more on the ESC than on the motor?
That's great to hear!

I'm tempted to put that ESC in an Edge 74 I will be building later this year. But the price is huge! Depends whether you can justify your ESC costing more than your airframe, haha! Or the motor as you say
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:06 PM
Yin & Yang
Joined Jul 2011
4,097 Posts
Hey Doc or anyone. just checking but the LG does sweep towards the front correct?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:21 AM
Honeybadger don't care...
Orlando, FL
Joined May 2010
1,774 Posts
I don't think so. I think it is oriented vertically with no angle either fwd or aft.
Luv3d is online now Find More Posts by Luv3d
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:11 AM
Joined Dec 2011
564 Posts
slightly foward
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:45 AM
Thailand, Bangkok
Joined Sep 2012
51 Posts
Hello all

i want to share my extra as first flight at Bangkok, Thailand
I run on motorfly 2820 / 750kv, CF pop aero model 13x6.5

Extra300EXP 48" FF in Thailand (4 min 35 sec)

Cheers
Gord ang
gord ang is offline Find More Posts by gord ang
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:59 AM
Yin & Yang
Joined Jul 2011
4,097 Posts
Nice flying Gord! Hoping I get good weather next weekend so I can maiden mine.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:54 AM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Great flying! Loved the video
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:31 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,505 Posts
What programs do you guys use to compose your vids?
Hornetnz is offline Find More Posts by Hornetnz