HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:26 PM
fly low, fly fast, fly 3d
United Kingdom, England, Luton
Joined Dec 2011
564 Posts
i was always told never do it on plastic geared servos but you can with metal but its not advisable to do it with any
nathan100 is offline Find More Posts by nathan100
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:33 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan100 View Post
i was always told never do it on plastic geared servos but you can with metal but its not advisable to do it with any
Thanks for the tip

These babies are meant to be titanium! Hopefully they're fine
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Finally! Durafly Junior Review
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:49 PM
Joined Dec 2011
564 Posts
they should be good but if you want to check plug them in and put very light load on them for a very short period of time and check for any slop or grinding
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:45 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan100 View Post
they should be good but if you want to check plug them in and put very light load on them for a very short period of time and check for any slop or grinding
Will do! Many thanks for the help
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:19 PM
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Feb 2007
857 Posts
My Extra is ready for its maiden. The Exceed Rc rocket is replaced. Their was something more wrong with it than just vibration. The first one maxed at 235 watts. The new one is hitting 635 watts. That should hover it with a decent pull out.
My pilot figure from my Venus II is the perfect size. The Venus went through a major rehab last winter. It's no longer a Venus. Doc might remember that plane. I just need to replace my antenna on my trusty 9303 and the Extra is going up.
I have been wanting to tint the canopy on my 78". That massive clear canopy just needs something. What about thee ol' rite dye technique. Anyone have any experience with that? I considered just pouring it in and letting it sit over night and carefully siphoning it back out careful not to get it on the wood. Just a thought.
tele1974 is offline Find More Posts by tele1974
Last edited by tele1974; Feb 13, 2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:30 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
246 Posts
Managed to shatter my spinner while doing a lomcevak/crankshaft. Came in with pretty good speed and about half way through the first tumble, I heard a loud bang. At the time I had no idea what it was, but the plane was still responding, so I bought it down immediately. Here is the result.

All the screws are still firmly attached and there had been no vibration previously. Happened on about the 35th flight on this airframe. Very odd, but no biggie, new spinner is on order.

nofreee is offline Find More Posts by nofreee
Last edited by nofreee; Feb 13, 2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:38 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,461 Posts
That's normally a result of overtightening the bolts that hold the cone on, and the violent manuever was the stress that put it over the edge. I have actually had this happen to me too, but mine blew off in a blender.

Glad to see you're flying it hard.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Last edited by Doc Austin; Feb 13, 2013 at 11:50 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:57 AM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,099 Posts
Ya. I broke mine the other day too. Not that bad though.
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:59 AM
Honeybadger don't care...
Orlando, FL
Joined May 2010
1,468 Posts
Was the spinner plastic, or a CF spinner?
Luv3d is online now Find More Posts by Luv3d
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:54 AM
Joined Jan 2012
246 Posts
The standard plastic spinner that EF sells.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:04 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,461 Posts
Those are great spinners, but you have to be careful to not overtighhten the cones. They are just plastic. I want to crank down on the things, but I've pulled a couple apart. I've learned to go just a little past snug and that works fine.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:20 AM
Joined Jan 2012
246 Posts
Most likely what I did. Live and learn.

If I get a good story out of it, then all is well.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:29 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofreee View Post
If I get a good story out of it, then all is well.
It's always a good story if you blow parts off the plane and still get it down!
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:35 AM
Joined Dec 2011
564 Posts
wow not had that happen yet
probably not flying hard enough
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:03 AM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,755 Posts
Right I'm pretty much finished! Just need to install the elevator servo and pushrods + rudder pushrods, and after I've done the throws and wired all the servos up nicely I'm done

I really like this Kontronik Koby 55 LV ESC. Whilst it is very expensive, the way it is programmed via the Kontronik Prog.Disc is super cool One feature I found very useful is throttle calibration. On my Castle ESCs, setting up a manual throttle curve is a little bit more complicated + slow, having to plug it in to the computer, selecting 'manual' throttle curve, then going through the series of beeps by adjusting the end points. On this Koby with the ProgDisc, it's really simple; you just plug the ESC into the ProgDisc and plug the ProgDisc into your receiver, select throttle stick, then just click max throttle and raise your throttle stick on your TX, then select minimum throttle and just lower the throttle stick on your TX. Takes at most 15 seconds Another thing which is really cool is that when the throttle response is set to 'Very Hard', the motor is incredibly sharp and responsive I really like the Castle's throttle response when set to 10, but I'd say this is actually even more responsive Should make the plane fly great

The MKS DS95 servos seem to be working well The only thing is that due to their increased depth you need to expand the servo slots. Not necessarily a problem but once you do slide them in you'll find they wobble a bit forward and back. It makes it near impossible to catch a proper thread in the wood. What I've down is fill the wood with some CA and screwed into it once it was set. Additionally, I've put some hot glue on the top of the servo case + put some cross weave tape on top. Looks a bit tacky but not too bad Most importantly if I do ever have to take the servos out, I can, unlike if I were to stick them down with just CA (well I probably could if I just used CA but it would be harder, haha! )
RCG Plus Member