Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:44 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty10 View Post
Anyway I'm trying to decide if I want to go with digital servos or not. I like them on the 64MXS allot but not sure the extra cost is justified on this Extra or not. .
I don't really like the HS5065 or 5085MG any more. All of my 5065s developed a lot of slop in the gears very quickly, and after about 25 flights my 5065 is responding in a really jerky fashion. I'de say for the 48" planes that the HS65 and HS85 are still the best bet, and what I'm going to continue with.

Quote:
I already have a MF 2820-750kv motor and ZTW 70A ESC so I can run a 14x7 Xoar. Was thin king of putting them in the Edge EXP but changed my mind
I'de save that for the Yak or put it in the Edge because you'll fly that more slowly. The Extra is so good at high speed that you will want to air it out, and for that you'll want the Torque 2814.

Do the simple math and you'll see the combo makes the best sense. If you buy the combo you save about $70 on the power system, so since you are buying the plane anyway, it makes sense even if you save the power system for later, or just for a spare.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:15 AM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
3,479 Posts
Doc,
I'm not even going to debate how good a deal the combos from EF are. I've bought 3 of them with airframes already. I got the Motrolfly dirt cheap and it's barely used. The ZTW was only $45 delivered. I've read allot of good things about them so hard to beat 70A ESC for that price.
I really was trying to get this in the air for less so even looking at digital servos was as tretch but I was thinking savox not Hitec. The savox on the elevator of my Edge really has worked out great so fay and they are only $4 more that the HS-65s are all metal gear and 60% more torque. I may still go with 3 HS-65s and the savox on the elevator since I really do like that combo on the edge. I'm not in any hurry to get the Extra in the air. It;'s really just insurance that if I plunk a plane I have something else to fly. I'm working hard on learning to better control HA flight and there is simply no way to do it with altitude. Def. improving since imo the 42" Slick is way less forgiving of getting too far behind on the sticks. I've been hitting the Harrier landings pretty darn good lately on it. I now need to transfer that to the bigger airframes but weather and a brain fart that fried 2 7245s and an AR8000 has kept the MXS grounded for a few weeks longer than I expected it to be down.

Maybe I missed something but the YAK is a profile isn't it? I took a look at it but would rather have a full fuse YAK in the 48 EXP size.

Anyway I like 4S too much to drop back to a 3S setup and I want/like a bigger prop on the 48s. Spent a few days running 13x6.5 on the edge and loved the bigger disc. I think it gave me much better control in HA and Hover. 14x7 was pretty good but I had to run it on 3S and just not enough power for this power junkie. lol
Liberty10 is offline Find More Posts by Liberty10
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:34 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty10 View Post
I got the Motrolfly dirt cheap and it's barely used. The ZTW was only $45 delivered. I've read allot of good things about them so hard to beat 70A ESC for that price.
I'm not saying don't use it. I'm just saying that would be a better motor for the Edge. I think the Extra likes all the speed you can throw at it and the 14/7 with that motor is going to work against that. I have flown that combo in friend's planes, and for the Extra I much prefer something faster, simply because the plane is so good at high speed. It is good at low speed too, but at speed the Extra locks in like a vise.

The Edge is good at speed too, but it is nothing like the Extra. The Edge much prefers to be drug around with the nose way up in the air, and that's where you will like that big prop.

Right now I fly my Edge on 3s so I can run a 14/7, and it is good that way. I've got to be careful with not getting behind the power cuirve, butr is is really docile and easy to manage like that.

Quote:
I really was trying to get this in the air for less so even looking at digital servos was as tretch but I was thinking savox not Hitec.
I don't have any experience with thye savox, but I'm done with the Hi Tec digitals in this size. The regular old analogs have been so good, and I still have so many that I am going to stay with what works for me.

Quote:
It's really just insurance that if I plunk a plane I have something else to fly.
You don't have two of each?

Quote:
I'm working hard on learning to better control HA flight and there is simply no way to do it with altitude.
I'de say stick with the Edge because that one is by far the best harrier trainer i have ever flown.

Quote:
Maybe I missed something but the YAK is a profile isn't it? I took a look at it but would rather have a full fuse YAK in the 48 EXP size.
I must have missed it too because it appears Extreme Flight brought back the 48" Yak profile. I got to fly a friend's last week and it was crazy fun.

And yes, the full fuselage EXP version of the Yak will be here soonish.

Quote:
Anyway I like 4S too much to drop back to a 3S setup and I want/like a bigger prop on the 48s.
I've run the 2814 on 3s with the 14/7 and it was fine. It just wasn't as blistering as I am used to with that motor on 4s. Then again, the EXPs were designed to be a 3s specific airframe.

I like the Extra much more on 4s and a 12/6 because it is so blisteringly fast, and it still 3Ds fine. I think if you run it with a 14/7 you are wasting what the plane does best.

But, what the heck? Try it both ways and stick with what you like best.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:07 PM
Joined Dec 2010
148 Posts
i need a pilot!

does anyone have a link/source for a pilot that fits the 48 inch extra? my son wants a pilot in the cockpit and i agree!
kevinjulieevan is offline Find More Posts by kevinjulieevan
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:52 PM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,095 Posts
Is PilotX A too big?
www.extremeflightrc.com/html/Accessories.html
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:58 PM
Joined Dec 2010
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OZ_ View Post
i asked a while back and they said they didn't sell a pilot x for the 48 inch sized planes but i've never ordered one to test?
kevinjulieevan is offline Find More Posts by kevinjulieevan
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:20 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinjulieevan View Post
i asked a while back and they said they didn't sell a pilot x for the 48 inch sized planes but i've never ordered one to test?
Ha! Now you'll need a 60" Extra so you can use the pilot!
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:00 PM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,095 Posts
Yeah, I just checked. PilotX A is too big for the 48.
You could make your own from an action figure. BK had a Transformers promo a few years ago. I used the head in one of my old planes.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:46 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,294 Posts
Yeah I ordered the smallest pilot from EF and was sad to see its too big. They should really get one made!!
Hornetnz is offline Find More Posts by Hornetnz
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:21 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,366 Posts
My pilot is starting to get a bit raggedey looking.

Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:53 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,582 Posts
Quote:
does anyone have a link/source for a pilot that fits the 48 inch extra? my son wants a pilot in the cockpit and i agree!
A friend of mine took a picture of his profile from both sides, printed it out, stuck it to some cardboard or balsa or something and mounted it inside. It's cool cuz it's custom and you can make any weird face you want to fit your flying style.

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:36 PM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
3,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
A friend of mine took a picture of his profile from both sides, printed it out, stuck it to some cardboard or balsa or something and mounted it inside. It's cool cuz it's custom and you can make any weird face you want to fit your flying style.

--Tom K.
A guy at my club has a huge balsa profile and did that. He put the owner of the LHS on it. Looks pretty cool. Of course he also has logos for the shop as well. It's the picture of the pilot that grabs your attention though.
Liberty10 is offline Find More Posts by Liberty10
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:50 AM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,095 Posts
I also painted the inside if the canopy black once. No pilot needed then.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:38 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Aerobertic sells(sold?) proper sized pilot x... Just not sure, original or nockoff... I have 1 on my laser...
i THINK it was this one
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Last edited by rimaarts; Feb 08, 2013 at 04:25 AM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:25 AM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OZ_ View Post
I also painted the inside if the canopy black once. No pilot needed then.
I did that too... left it in the car for an hour while at the field flying something else... I came back and it looked like a W hull on a boat... Also on another plane my dad painted the inside of a smoke colored canopy silver and it came out gold... no idea how that happened. And in case you're wondering, no it doesn't work if you paint the inside smoke colored, and then paint silver over that... a friend of mine tried.

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540