HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:45 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
I'm not familiar with the servo brand you mention, but I am one of those weird sorts who is leery of any product I am not familiar with, especially if it's going on my elevator!
I agree there! From what I can tell MKS actually seems to be better. If you take a look at the heli fraternity, particularly those flying Trex 450s, they say the DS95 is a better choice due to increased speed, precision, and reliability. Plus they look super cool! Here are the specs of them:

Torque: 2.44 kg-cm (33.88 oz/in)(4.8V) │ 3.05 kg-cm (42.36 oz/in) (6.0V)
Speed: 0.066 s (4.8V) │ 0.053 s (6.0V)
Weight: 21.21 g (0.74 oz)

Additional information: http://www.mks-servo.co.uk/mks-micro...-ds95-17-p.asp

Quote:
I just use the standard old HS85MG on the elevator and 65MGs on everything else. The digitals are nice, but the ones I have developed slop in the gears almost overnight. They supposedly use the same gear set, so this doesn't make sense, but out of four of them, they all have massive slop. This is why I went back to the standard HS65MG.
That's funny, I've heard people say the complete opposite, haha! I flew them both back to back on my old Addiction X. The only real difference I found between the two is that the 5085s just feel a tad sharper. To be honest on the elevator it's not particulary noticeable but on the ailerons it is. But they're both great

Quote:
The reason Extreme Flight specifies an HS85MG for the MXS elevator is because that plane's elevator is much bigger than the Extra's. This puts a lot more stress on the servo itself, so something bigger was needed.
I can see why. The MXS's elevator is outrageous, haha! It's almost frightening how powerful it is

Quote:
I was getting stalling on 5 volts with the HS65MG, and the HS85MG cured that. After that I just like the servo so I jept using it even when the Airboss was upgraded to 6 volts a few years ago. I just like having a beefy servo back there, and they seem to be very close to bulletproof.
That's good they upped the voltage on the BEC. I find even just a bit of extra voltage really helps

Quote:
Thanks for reading, and please tell all your friends. I am planning a shift to strictly blogging, so you might want to subscribe and not miss out of some the the cool things we are hoping to do this year. I am very excited about the Yak and we will probably destroy at least one of two of them throwing down, torture testing and generally having a good hoot.
Will do Doc! I've told my flying buddies who are getting into 3D about it The Yak looks seriously awesome! Only Yak I've flown is the E-Flite QQ Yak, the 4S 50" foamy. I could never get along with that, I think due to its weight but also the servos I didn't trust, partly because one failed, luckily in a prop-hang. I'm sure this will be way better
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:50 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty10 View Post
RC Pilot1234
I've never even seen the MKS servos. Def. come back and provide a review if you can. I'm always interested in alternative equipment.
Will do! I'm a big fan of trying out different equipment. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I think the best decisions I've made fairly recently is to use a Motorfly DM4315-714 on my Slick 59, and to use HS 5035HDs in my new Crack Yak Mini (these servos, whilst about double the price, are so smooth and strong, really can't fault them I did a little review of them in the Crack Yak Mini thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1088)

Some of the poorer decisions I've made is to use JR servos in my Crack Yak Lite (just not enough torque and wrong fit, also twice the price!) and to put a big AXi motor on my Slick 71; boy was that thing heavy. Made it pretty hard to 3D with truth be told. Hopefully these DS 95s go in without a hiccup
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:11 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty10 View Post
Doc,
I agree being able to program servos is cool.
In the case of the HS5245MG it is also quite necessary. the dead bands on all of mine were all over the map. The 5245 got a bad reputation for poor centering because of this, but once you get them right, though, those servos are actually pretty darned good, especially considering the money
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:30 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPilot1234 View Post
Will do Doc! I've told my flying buddies who are getting into 3D about it
Thanks so much. Please make sure you tell them about The New Sport Pilot's Guide To 3D

Quote:
The Yak looks seriously awesome!
Extreme Flight is known as "The Yak Company," so this plane will probably be regarded as the flagship, at least in the 48" class. I would expect that The Boss would settle for nothing less than perfection on this plane.

I am very excited about this one. We will be doing a LIVE build and fly blog report on the YAK EXP.

Quote:
Only Yak I've flown is the E-Flite QQ Yak, the 4S 50" foamy. I could never get along with that, I think due to its weight but also the servos I didn't trust, partly because one failed, luckily in a prop-hang.
Yeah, but I got a chance to fly one of the little micro QQ bind-n-fly Edges yesterday and it was a lot of fun.

Quote:
I'm sure this will be way better
I spent a lot of time with another brand of Yak (now out of production) that was a really good plane, but it was still difficult to get the most out of it. It was a good plane, but you didn't dare lose respect for it or it would bite you right in the ass.

The Yak EXP is absolutely going to be a different kind of beast. So much has been learned since the early Yaks that all of the less desirable tendancies are going to be gone. I have every confidence it will be as bad ass yet easy to fly as any of the other EXPs.

Having said that, I am going to be a bit sad to have to park my Extras for awhile. Maybe the Yak will change things, but the Extra EXP is the benchmark plane for me.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:58 PM
Sweden, ┼kersberga
Joined Aug 2012
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPilot1234 View Post
You'll find that is more than enough for a plane of this size. 30-35 degrees is enough me. Anymore and I can't keep up, haha! But yeah, what you have will be absolutely plenty, if not too much
Quote:
If you follow the pictures in the manual and crank your end points, it's just about perfect. That's pretty close to bevel-to-bevel ayway.
Great! I was a little worried
Flyer95 is offline Find More Posts by Flyer95
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:33 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Thanks so much. Please make sure you tell them about The New Sport Pilot's Guide To 3D
That's awesome! Just linked it to my friend who is getting a Crack Yak Mini having mostly flown sport stuff. Perfect

Quote:
Extreme Flight is known as "The Yak Company," so this plane will probably be regarded as the flagship, at least in the 48" class. I would expect that The Boss would settle for nothing less than perfection on this plane.

I am very excited about this one. We will be doing a LIVE build and fly blog report on the YAK EXP.
I've also associated EF with Yaks, and I can now see why! Can't wait for the blog, they're so well thought out

Quote:
Yeah, but I got a chance to fly one of the little micro QQ bind-n-fly Edges yesterday and it was a lot of fun.
My friend has got one of those and they're certainly awesome! I thought it was a UMX but looking at the site I found its just a small 3D, hence why the 3S battery and fairly large size. I've heard the stock prop should be replaced on them.

Quote:
I spent a lot of time with another brand of Yak (now out of production) that was a really good plane, but it was still difficult to get the most out of it. It was a good plane, but you didn't dare lose respect for it or it would bite you right in the ass.

The Yak EXP is absolutely going to be a different kind of beast. So much has been learned since the early Yaks that all of the less desirable tendancies are going to be gone. I have every confidence it will be as bad ass yet easy to fly as any of the other EXPs.

Having said that, I am going to be a bit sad to have to park my Extras for awhile. Maybe the Yak will change things, but the Extra EXP is the benchmark plane for me.
Now that sounds sweet! Who knows, the Yak may become your benchmark plane Plus this new one is going to have the newer style structure as I understand like the Laser so that's awesome
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:47 PM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
3,979 Posts
I have a motrolfly 2820-750kv motor just sitting here so I ordered an ZTW 70Amp esc this afternoon. and I'm thinking it's time to add an extra to the hanger. I was looking at the 48" MXS but I really don't care for the white red blue scheme. It just looks too much like the Norway flag to me. Not that I have anything against Norway mind you but if it's going to look like a flag it needs to be stars & stripes for me.

Gonna think about it another day or 2 though.
Liberty10 is online now Find More Posts by Liberty10
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:55 PM
Yin & Yang
Joined Jul 2011
3,979 Posts
I just looked at my emails from this afternoon. I ordered from Altitude hobbies. I placed my order at 5:20. Got order confirmation at 5:25 and at 5:32 I received an shipped notice with tracking number. Pretty good service I gotta say. I ordered some super light weight 32awg servo extensions from them a few weeks ago and got them in 2 days. I like that kind of service
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:16 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,827 Posts
Make sure you check my blog for set up info and pictures.

You'll love the Extra. It is an incredibly well rounded airframe.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:04 PM
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Feb 2007
875 Posts
What capacity of a 4s battery should I order. I am looking at the 2200 Nanotechs.
Anyone running the 3300? What batteries will keep me in the correct CG range?
tele1974 is offline Find More Posts by tele1974
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:12 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
250 Posts
4s 2650 40c fit the bill for me quite nicely. A neutral CG leaves you plenty of room forward and back to adjust to your flight preference with those.

My timer is set for 5:30 and I fly very heavy on the left stick.
nofreee is offline Find More Posts by nofreee
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:40 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tele1974 View Post
What capacity of a 4s battery should I order. I am looking at the 2200 Nanotechs.
Like nofreee says, something in the 2600 range is just about right. The 2200s are fine but I prefer to have a little more run time.

Quote:
Anyone running the 3300? What batteries will keep me in the correct CG range?
3300 would be heavy and the plane would also be nose heavy, but for sport flying those would work really nice. If you are going to 3D the plane those are too much weight.

If you are going to sport fly the plane, check my blog article vrom May 2011 on Sport Flying the Extra EXP.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:02 PM
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Feb 2007
875 Posts
Well I can't replace it. So it won't be getting to close to the deck. I have EPP for that. I only was able to purchased it with my competition rewards...so I will be more than likely practicing my IMAC and pattern sequences with it. I read through your article. Thank you for sending the link. That is a really a good article. Their should be links to it on the EF site.

Is their any advantage to running the 3s pack if I am just flying through the pattern. As opposed to running a 4s pack with some throttle management. Since the watts are higher wouldn't I be pulling less amps out of the pack increasing the run time with 4s.

Problem here is their are too many packs to choose from.

My ExceedRC rocket is on its way after doing a RMA. They turned it around same day. Should be here Friday. I'm glad you guys talked me into sending it. I would probably be flying it if I hadn't said something. Thanks guys.

Thank you for your help Doc.
tele1974 is offline Find More Posts by tele1974
Last edited by tele1974; Feb 06, 2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:15 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tele1974 View Post
Thank you for sending the link. That is a really a good article. Their should be links to it on the EF site.
Thanks for the kind words. Glad you liked it. Please tell your friends about my blog.

Quote:
Is their any advantage to running the 3s pack if I am just flying through the pattern. As opposed to running a 4s pack with some throttle management.
Pattern has changed sinced I was competing, so I might not be the right guy to ask. I

I think it would be easier to manage the speed with 3s packs. On 4s these planes are pretty quick and you'de have to keep them throttle back quite a bit.

I'de say it to try it both ways. Pick whichever works best.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:41 AM
Yin & Yang
Joined Jul 2011
3,979 Posts
I probably need another plane like I need a hole in my head but I bought this Extra anyway. Ordered it when I got up this morning. I was really planning on the 48" MXS but the blue was out of stock and the white blue red one looks to much like the Norway flag. That and I don't have blue airframe. Showed the 2 MXS schemes and the Blue/white/black/silver Extra to my wife and she picked them in the same order as I did. Bl/wh MXS first and Blu/wht/Blk/Slvr and put the red one last saying I already have two red airplanes.

Anyway I'm trying to decide if I want to go with digital servos or not. I like them on the 64MXS allot but not sure the extra cost is justified on this Extra or not. I already have a MF 2820-750kv motor and ZTW 70A ESC so I can run a 14x7 Xoar. Was thin king of putting them in the Edge EXP but changed my mind.