HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:05 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv3d View Post

If I had a 'complaint'- and to be clear, I DO NOT- it would be that Extra's tend to climb a bit when you do a wall.
The MXS will actually drop in a wall. It rotates so hard that I have to be careful not to bang the rudder on the runway.

Quote:
That's it. I wouldn't change anything more about them.
I hope the current Extra is never, ever changed, not even the color scheme. I love absolutely everything about those planes.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:15 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
The reason I love the Extra so much - of course for its amazing flying characteristics - is because it will fit in basically any vehicle fully assembled It's so nice to have a plane that is big and fast enough to be impressive like the 48 Extra, but also require no more setup time than a UMX E-Flite plane I really like the 60" size but the fact they require assembly and disassembly at the field make them see a LOT less air time, I'd say about 25% of what I put into these EXPs Where I fly I usually fly in the evening. The fact I can whisk it out the boot/trunk and put it back without taking off the wings is a massive bonus. I also like the nimbleness of them As Doc says, I think they're perfect! I really can't see how this airframe could be improved upon
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:42 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,819 Posts
I have to make a concious effort not to fly my Extra EXPs or I would fly them all the time. I guess I might be a little weird for Extra EXPs.

However, I am really looking forward to the Yak.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:03 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
I have to make a concious effort not to fly my Extra EXPs or I would fly them all the time. I guess I might be a little weird for Extra EXPs.

However, I am really looking forward to the Yak.
Haha! Same here

The Yak looks very nice It'll be interesting to see how my MKS/Kontronik setup works in the Extra. If I like it I'll definitely be getting a Yak and using the same setup
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:16 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Just thinking about it everyone, I've used a 5065MG in my Bandit elevator and it seems to work well. Considering that the MKS has a fair amount more torque and speed, I think I should be okay for it to go in the elevator. I'll try it instead of the 5085MG then Not a big deal if I make the wrong choice
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:20 AM
Sweden, ┼kersberga
Joined Aug 2012
30 Posts
How much aileron movement is needed for this 48" Extra? Maximum i can get is 40-45 degree. On my 78" I could get more.....
Flyer95 is offline Find More Posts by Flyer95
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:44 AM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer95 View Post
How much aileron movement is needed for this 48" Extra? Maximum i can get is 40-45 degree. On my 78" I could get more.....
You'll find that is more than enough for a plane of this size. 30-35 degrees is enough me. Anymore and I can't keep up, haha! But yeah, what you have will be absolutely plenty, if not too much
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:58 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer95 View Post
If you follow the pictures in the manual and crank your end points, it's just about perfect. That's pretty close to bevel-to-bevel ayway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPilot1234 View Post
I've used a 5065MG in my Bandit elevator and it seems to work well.
The HS5065 and even the HS65MG will both work fine on the Extra EXP provided you are running a 6 volt BEC. Curtis has also had great luck with a Futaba servo that fits the openining, but I can't remember which one.

The critical part is to run the 6 volts. The EXPs are such high performing airframes that we are on the cusp of obsoleting the current HS65MG size servo. On 6 volts they have more torque and speed. Even with the HS65MG on all surfaces, with the 6 volt Airboss I didn't get any stalling or blowback on my last Edge EXP, and I flew that baby hard. On 5 volts my results were not that good.

Quote:
Not a big deal if I make the wrong choice.
Unless it fail, of course.

Personally I like the HS85MG on my elevators, just because it is such a robust servo, especially given it's size. That, and using the Dubro heavy duty arm, youi can get well past 90 degrees of throw. I use the second to outside hole, and with end points cranked I get about 88 degrees of travel. You might think that is too much, but the EXPs are so stable that it does not make them twitchy or pitchy. That much throw is actually quite usable, though admittely it's for maximum extremeness.

The downside is that you have to modify the servo opening, but once you have done a few it is not so bad. Check this.
Last edited by Doc Austin; Feb 05, 2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:53 AM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
3,963 Posts
I used a Savox 255mg on my new Edge elevator and I'm very happy with it. It required no modification to the opening to fit and the Torque @ 6.0V is 54.2 oz-in. which is 11% more torque than the HS 85mg. I will say that on the ground I noticed the savox doesn't center perfectly every time but it's at most 1mm and I can't tell the difference when it's in the air. I may simply not be good enough to tell but idk.. If I were to elect to use the Hitec here I would go with the 5085. It's faster stronger and from seeing one on someone else s plane more accurate centering.
Liberty10 is online now Find More Posts by Liberty10
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:55 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,819 Posts
You might wat to check those dead bands. That can have a colossal effect on centering.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:06 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
The HS5065 and even the HS65MG will both work fine on the Extra EXP provided you are running a 6 volt BEC. Curtis has also had great luck with a Futaba servo that fits the openining, but I can't remember which one.

The critical part is to run the 6 volts. The EXPs are such high performing airframes that we are on the cusp of obsoleting the current HS65MG size servo. On 6 volts they have more torque and speed. Even with the HS65MG on all surfaces, with the 6 volt Airboss I didn't get any stalling or blowback on my last Edge EXP, and I flew that baby hard. On 5 volts my results were not that good.

Unless it fail, of course.

Personally I like the HS85MG on my elevators, just because it is such a robust servo, especially given it's size. That, and using the Dubro heavy duty arm, youi can get well past 90 degrees of throw. I use the second to outside hole, and with end points cranked I get about 88 degrees of travel. You might think that is too much, but the EXPs are so stable that it does not make them twitchy or pitchy. That much throw is actually quite usable, though admittely it's for maximum extremeness.

The downside is that you have to modify the servo opening, but once you have done a few it is not so bad. Check this.
Thank you very much for the help!

That's great to hear that even the 65MG works fairly well on the elevator at 6V. I think I should be okay with the MKS DS95 then with its increased torque and speed.

As you say I really need to take into consideration as to whether its going to fail. From the reports I've seen it appears to be a more reliable than the 65MG, so I should be okay

I'm very curious to see the performance of these DS 95s. Judging by the specs they look great! If I do go for the 5085MG instead on the elevator, then I'll use the DuBro arms like you do (672s I think).

Thanks for the link to your blog! I actually already have that specific article bookmarked in my browser, haha
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:10 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty10 View Post
I used a Savox 255mg on my new Edge elevator and I'm very happy with it. It required no modification to the opening to fit and the Torque @ 6.0V is 54.2 oz-in. which is 11% more torque than the HS 85mg. I will say that on the ground I noticed the savox doesn't center perfectly every time but it's at most 1mm and I can't tell the difference when it's in the air. I may simply not be good enough to tell but idk.. If I were to elect to use the Hitec here I would go with the 5085. It's faster stronger and from seeing one on someone else s plane more accurate centering.
Thanks for the help!

I've been interested in Savox 0255 but I've had two failures with them on my glider stuff (which is far less stressful on the gear) and I've been hesitant to use them again. But for the price and build quality, they're very nice indeed I've used the 5085MG on my MXS 48 for a long time now I really like it but I just feel its a tad slow. I don't know, maybe the MKS DS95 won't feel much sharper. But I'll be back to give a full report!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:16 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,819 Posts
Quote:
That's great to hear that even the 65MG works fairly well on the elevator at 6V. I think I should be okay with the MKS DS95 then with its increased torque and speed.
I'm not familiar with the servo brand you mention, but I am one of those weird sorts who is leery of any product I am not familiar with, especially if it's going on my elevator!

Quote:
As you say I really need to take into consideration as to whether its going to fail. From the reports I've seen it appears to be a more reliable than the 65MG, so I should be okay
That's certainly a good sign.

Quote:
If I do go for the 5085MG instead on the elevator, then I'll use the DuBro arms like you do (672s I think).
I just use the standard old HS85MG on the elevator and 65MGs on everything else. The digitals are nice, but the ones I have developed slop in the gears almost overnight. They supposedly use the same gear set, so this doesn't make sense, but out of four of them, they all have massive slop. This is why I went back to the standard HS65MG.

The reason Extreme Flight specifies an HS85MG for the MXS elevator is because that plane's elevator is much bigger than the Extra's. This puts a lot more stress on the servo itself, so something bigger was needed.

I was getting stalling on 5 volts with the HS65MG, and the HS85MG cured that. After that I just like the servo so I jept using it even when the Airboss was upgraded to 6 volts a few years ago. I just like having a beefy servo back there, and they seem to be very close to bulletproof.

Quote:
Thanks for the link to your blog! I actually already have that specific article bookmarked in my browser, haha
Thanks for reading, and please tell all your friends. I am planning a shift to strictly blogging, so you might want to subscribe and not miss out of some the the cool things we are hoping to do this year. I am very excited about the Yak and we will probably destroy at least one of two of them throwing down, torture testing and generally having a good hoot.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:21 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
What is "servo slop"?
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:25 PM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
3,963 Posts
Doc,
I agree being able to program servos is cool. I got a programmer ordered for my 7245s and will probably use more digital Hitec in the future.
As far as I know savox servos don't provide programming ability. I checked when I first got the 255mg but was told no. I can't remember which way but it centers perfectly every time from one direction and off a hair maybe 25% of the time from the other.

RC Pilot1234
I've never even seen the MKS servos. Def. come back and provide a review if you can. I'm always interested in alternative equipment.
Liberty10 is online now Find More Posts by Liberty10