SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 03, 2012, 10:13 PM
Crash and burn, huh Mav?
USA, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Aug 2010
995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabledawg1 View Post
The one scheme I dont like is on the new laser.
Where the heck is this Laser I hear people talking about?? Am I missing it somewhere?
Runnikee is offline Find More Posts by Runnikee
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2012, 11:03 PM
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2010
1,517 Posts
Cabledawg1 is offline Find More Posts by Cabledawg1
Old May 03, 2012, 11:30 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG43 View Post
You can cut a little off one of the ball links with an x-acto knife. That's what I did, works fine.
The rod is threaded as far as it can go into the ball link, cutting off some of the plastic wont make it thread in deeper.
Hornetnz is offline Find More Posts by Hornetnz
Old May 03, 2012, 11:44 PM
Glens Falls, NY
Joined Apr 2010
1,296 Posts
Oh, mine was hitting where there were no threads left for the ball link to go on deeper. Chopped a few mm off the ball link and cranked it on a few more turns and it was fine.
TG43 is offline Find More Posts by TG43
Old May 03, 2012, 11:45 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornetnz View Post
The rod is threaded as far as it can go into the ball link, cutting off some of the plastic wont make it thread in deeper.
Start cutting threads off the pushrod until it works. As long as you have one or two threads showing when the ball link is bottomed out, that's fine. A few times on my 48" Extras I have had to snip 1/16 off each aileron pushrod, but that's better than being too short.

Just snip 1/16 at a time. Nothing is better than having the control surface centered and the pushrods threaded all the way into the ball link. No way that will ever pull out.

Here's something funny...... I put a new fuselage on my 48" Edge. I used the same servos and pushrods. I just took them off the wreck, and I did not have to adjust them at all! It's just amazing how tight the tolerances are on these planes.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Last edited by Doc Austin; May 04, 2012 at 12:34 AM.
Old May 03, 2012, 11:56 PM
Crash and burn, huh Mav?
USA, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Aug 2010
995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabledawg1 View Post
Very cool. Is there a link on the Extreme Flight site to this or is it classified?
Runnikee is offline Find More Posts by Runnikee
Old May 04, 2012, 12:09 AM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,517 Posts
I want that prop.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old May 04, 2012, 12:15 AM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,602 Posts
Do I really have to goto work tomorrow morning? I'm so close!
Old May 04, 2012, 03:59 PM
Team Extreme Flight, JR, BandE
Georgetown, IN
Joined Dec 2003
2,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME FLIGHT View Post
There is no magic pill to learning 3D, in fact there is only one way to learn and that is to practice, practice and..............practice some more. Fly with a purpose and focus on individual maneuvers. There are so many Internet resources available to assist you and it is far simpler to learn these days. Back when my friend Russelland I learned 3D in 1994 there were no instructional videos, Internet forums, heck there weren't even any 3D planes or ARFs available. We had to build from kits and scratch build larger control surfaces and talk to guys like Quique, Mike McConville, Frank Noll and a handful of others who were key players in the development of 3D and pick their brain about what they were doing. Lots of trial and error, frustration and disappointment, but we wanted it bad and eventually we persevered. What I am trying to say is use the resources you have available and practice as much as possible. The airframes available today are light years ahead of what we had in 1994 and are a direct result of years of trial and error and experience. Any of the 48" aircraft are more than capable of teaching you all the moves from the most basic to the most advanced. We have provided you with the tools, the rest is up to you.
I doubt many will realize the amount you said in those 10 sentences.
I am amazed how some think by talking, watching, reading and whatever else will help them more than practicing. One hour of practice is worth more than 10 hours of the other stuff.....burn batteries/fuel often then start all over. Learning 3D is one thing, getting good at it and staying up on new maneuvers is another.
Jeff
jwilliamsrc is offline Find More Posts by jwilliamsrc
Old May 04, 2012, 05:28 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,867 Posts
Put it this way,

I learned to Harrier on an mxs.

For all intents and purposes this would be the last plane you should learn on. I went extra-edge-mxs. I would wing rock like no other on the edge. I really liked the looks of the mxs so I got that.

All that while I was just practicing over and over again and finally got it with the mxs. Three different air frames. I would have probably gotten their faster if I stuck with one but I alike the looks of each.

There really is no silver bullet for 3d air frames.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old May 04, 2012, 06:49 PM
Glens Falls, NY
Joined Apr 2010
1,296 Posts
Here's some pretty awful flying. Having fun though!

48" Extreme Flight Extra 300EXP (5 min 20 sec)
TG43 is offline Find More Posts by TG43
Last edited by TG43; May 04, 2012 at 11:56 PM. Reason: fixed vid
Old May 04, 2012, 07:52 PM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,150 Posts
The Laser is in a secret under ground development lab as we speak.
doc993 is offline Find More Posts by doc993
Old May 04, 2012, 08:03 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc993 View Post
The Laser is in a secret under ground development lab as we speak.
A couple of things

1) reorient your antennas, they are going the same way and you want to have them perpendicular to one another. You really should mount it way back behind the canopy.

2)Do you have an adapter between the deans and the XT60 connector? Thats going to raise the resistance and thus lower the power level.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old May 04, 2012, 09:43 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,602 Posts
Do you guys epoxy velcro to your packs or just find sticky back velcro?
Old May 04, 2012, 10:10 PM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,150 Posts
Yes I will reorient the antenna, yes the adapter is just for bench tests,I do not like deans pins.I also cannot fly till I get the recommended prop the one I have is a 13 / 8,Then the covering flaw needs to be addressed, ama number and ident tags ext.This was a very smooth build ,and I'm really enjoying it.The laser is so cool.I saw Leo fly many times at Oshkosh. He was so precise and smooth.I can't wait to see the team pilots ring this one out.
doc993 is offline Find More Posts by doc993