HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2009, 09:56 PM
Bush Mechanic
Mt. Dandenong, Australia
Joined Oct 2005
2,367 Posts
Cool
DL50 with a PLD BAC-ESJ

This has to be the easiest mod I've had to do.

I decided to fit a PLD BAC-ESJ to my DL50 to have the advantage of being able to charge the battery a 270mAh 2S Lipo without having to fiddle around with wires inside the small fuselage space and so that I didn't have to keep re taping the cowl on everytime I unplugged or connected the battery to switch on or off.

http://nqrc.com/?vp=PLD-BAC-ESJ
http://nqrc.com/?vp=ELGLI-2S270-2C

I attached the BAC-ESJ with double sided tape and the only trick is to CA a piece of 6mm square Balsa as a ledge to support the BAC when I push the plug into it. A hole on the cowl (I did a pretty rough job of that ). A small hole to let the voltage readout flashes out the side and it is ready to go. The cowl taped on permanantly and all is good.

I think the BAC-ESJ is a great gadget as all I have to do is pull the plug out to check the voltage and when I arrive to fly at my favourite site, I'm ready to fly in a blink.

Speaking of blinking....my eyesight is not what it was. The PLD BAC-ESJ saves me the hassle of having to put my glasses on just to plug in the battery. It's a beauty.

Neil.
neilmny is offline Find More Posts by neilmny
Last edited by neilmny; Apr 21, 2009 at 10:12 PM. Reason: added more info
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2009, 06:23 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
Neil,

I noticed the fuselage seems to have a lot of empty space in it, how does the buzzer sound when it's fully closed up?

Paul.
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
Old Apr 23, 2009, 06:43 AM
Bush Mechanic
Mt. Dandenong, Australia
Joined Oct 2005
2,367 Posts
Paul,

Because of the thin balsa fuselage on the DL50 it's almost as loud cowl on as cowl off.

It's a ripper Paul. I couldn't be happier.

Neil.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 07:35 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
Neil,

It's interesting to compare because on the actual "spec" sheets for a lot of these buzzers, they quote their loudness figures based on them being within a "sound chamber", typically of about 100x100x100mm or so. Certainly I notice that the apparent loudness increases when I bring my hand near the buzzer when handling it during testing (megaphone effect no doubt).

Good timing with the LED photos by the way... I know how hard it can be to get it as it blinks

Paul
Old Apr 23, 2009, 03:58 PM
Bush Mechanic
Mt. Dandenong, Australia
Joined Oct 2005
2,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pldaniels
....... Good timing with the LED photos by the way... I know how hard it can be to get it as it blinks

Paul
Use a Canon A720is wait for the blink sequence to stop, press the shutter button and bingo

I'll aurally compare it to my others sometime today and take a SWAG at the difference (swinging wild a#se guess)
Old Apr 23, 2009, 06:45 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
Neil,

Similar approach here... though in the end it was mostly just a lot of clicking and turfing the dud shots .

Looking forward to hearing how it flies with the BAC-ESJ. Did the extra weight make a substantial difference on the CG or did you just push it back a bit further?

Paul.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 07:00 PM
Bush Mechanic
Mt. Dandenong, Australia
Joined Oct 2005
2,367 Posts
Paul,

I did some test flights at the local park. I didn't correct the CG, it had moved about 1mm, but although it flew the just right, the same as it had been, I will most likely add a tiny bit of blue tack to the tail just to have just so. Pedantic eh!

Neil.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 07:03 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmny
I will most likely add a tiny bit of blue tack to the tail just to have just so. Pedantic eh!
Weight on the ..... tail.... *blocks ears* LALALALALALALALALAL I'm not hearing this!!!!

Sure you can't move something back a fraction in the nose? I suppose you would if you could - just it feels like a major shock to hear people say "add weight to the tail".

I think I need to sit down.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 07:15 PM
Bush Mechanic
Mt. Dandenong, Australia
Joined Oct 2005
2,367 Posts
Stay calm, all is OK. I do this all the time, you've seen how my planes fly, you wouldn't believe what I have in the rescued QF11 and to avoid the need for urgent medical attention up there I won't tell you .

We are talking minute amounts here because of the leverage. You have to realise I've added a couple of grams forward of the CG and I don't want to move anything anywhere (my choice) with around a 3 to 1 ratio who cares? We are talking 0.66666666666 grams Paul.

Ease off on the coffee mate
Old Apr 23, 2009, 07:18 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
*laugh*

It's good coffee... brewed in the stove-top pot.

btw, at 3:1, shouldn't that be 0.3g (darn it, can't do the 'dot' on top of the 3).

Glad to hear it went well other than the CG adjustment.

How did you bond the ESJ to the fuselage side? I've been evil and simply used hotglue.

Paul.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 07:27 PM
Bush Mechanic
Mt. Dandenong, Australia
Joined Oct 2005
2,367 Posts
Nope, because I've added 2 grams all together.

I used some double sided tape, but added a 6mm square support under the BAC to support it when I plug in mostly. There is a reference to it in the photo captions.

Neil.
Last edited by neilmny; Apr 23, 2009 at 07:32 PM. Reason: removed confusing info - SORRY GUYS
Old Apr 23, 2009, 07:29 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
Well, at 0.4g gain, I suppose one could reduce that by getting rid of various plugs/sockets and excess wire lengths. Still, the convenience of the on/off/charge is hard to beat. I'm going through and installing them in my other gliders as well ... and the similar ESJ-CHG-08 into my park flying planes .

Paul.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 07:31 PM
Bush Mechanic
Mt. Dandenong, Australia
Joined Oct 2005
2,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pldaniels
Well, at 0.4g gain, I suppose one could reduce that by getting rid of various plugs/sockets and excess wire lengths. Still, the convenience of the on/off/charge is hard to beat. I'm going through and installing them in my other gliders as well ... and the similar ESJ-CHG-08 into my park flying planes .

Paul.
I am making things confusing. I added 2 grams with the alteration but only 0.4 with the BAC-ESJ itself.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 08:37 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
Neil,

Any flights today? I need to get the QFII dusted off some more and the wing-bolts fixed up. Was watching a lot of birds putting me to shame today as I sat out in the mid-afternoon and watched as I drank my coffee... seems to be a lot of nice thermals around and only a little wind.

Paul.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 03:23 PM
Bush Mechanic
Mt. Dandenong, Australia
Joined Oct 2005
2,367 Posts
Paul,

No luck today, the wind a smidgin strong for DLG at mid 20's gusting to 40's Flying is a bit like snow skiing, you have to do it when conditions are right. I should have been there yesterday

We have a week of rough weather coming so it might be a while before I can.