HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 31, 2003, 07:43 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Need A10 Build Help - What's with this small battery bay?

I am just in the beginning phases of my A10 Building project. I am right now looking at this strange (small) battery bay. I'm scratching my head because I have not found any of my packs that will fit in this. Are most of you guys opening this bay up to actually fit a decent battery pack, this bay seems not long enough. What packs are you using in your A10? I swear, I have a rather large assortment of battery packs but I have yet to find one that will fit. I was thinking of moving the pack way forward to get the proper CG but the Nose gear seems to be in the way, what have you done & how far forward should I move the pack??

-Thanks-

Mike
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2003, 07:46 PM
Captain Carnage says......
Seminole (St Pete.), Florida/ Seminole Crash Fest
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
5/4 AAA 800 8 cell nimhs fit and fly it

thats what i use in mine

Mr Lin,or someone in his name, when over at RC Zone said the small bay was intentional; to keep people from putting in larger batteries and burning up the motors faster

Chuck
AirWarriorBelgy is offline Find More Posts by AirWarriorBelgy
Old Mar 31, 2003, 07:59 PM
Forgot how to fly
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Oct 2002
10,198 Posts
Mine flys on either a 7 cell AAA 720 mah nimh pack or a 2S2P LIPOLY pack in the cockpit. It will also fit a 6 cell 600 mah AA pack altough your flight times will be short. I scraped the battery door and just lined the outside with Velcro. I then use two velcro straps across the battery opening to hold the AAA in. This will leave your options very open.

Mike
Mike Parsons is offline Find More Posts by Mike Parsons
Old Mar 31, 2003, 08:07 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
I was hopeing to use my 2S2P Qualcomm 830 Parallel pack in this plane, I'm thinking it would be ideal. However, the Lion pack is too long BUT, If I make up (2) seperate 2-cell packs & use a Y-Connector I may be able to stick them in Heighth wise & may just be able to even get the battery door closed, Maybe! Has anybody experimented with the 2S2P Qualcomm 830 setup? How would this combo work with the EDF50's?

-Mike-
Old Mar 31, 2003, 11:32 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Chuck:
Are you using a Side-X-Side Pack or a brick pack? How long is your pack & where did you get it?

-Thanks-

Mike

P.S. - Isn't the 8-Cell 9.6V pack too many volts for these little EDF-50 motors?
Old Apr 01, 2003, 05:24 AM
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
hi Mike,

side by side packs

www.allerc.com (19.99 perpack)

yes they recommend 8.4 volt nimh 7.2 volt nicad

but then...everyone knows i'm crazy anyway, but the way it flies on 8 cells leaves me wondering what 7 cells will do

it is a very slow flyer even on 8 cells, i have aquired a 7 cell GWS pack that i will try this weekend.

Chuck
Old Apr 01, 2003, 05:31 AM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,665 Posts
I had to dremel out the aft part of my batt compartment so I could slide my pack back to balance it. I'm using a standard GWS 6 cell - 7.2 V 600mah pack and it flies great at 16.5 oz!!!!
skyhawk is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk
Old Apr 01, 2003, 08:41 AM
Forgot how to fly
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Oct 2002
10,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AirWarriorBelgy

but then...everyone knows i'm crazy anyway, but the way it flies on 8 cells leaves me wondering what 7 cells will do
Chuck
Chuck,
You will not see a noticable thrust decrease from 8 cells to 7. 7 cells is already pushing these EDF's to their limit. You will see an RPM increase with 8 cells, but not enough Thrust difference to justify using them. Plus it adds the weight of another cell and not enough thrust to make up for it.

Mike
Old Apr 01, 2003, 09:16 AM
Columbus, Indiana
Joined Dec 2001
287 Posts
Anyone tried a side-by-side 6 cell Kan 950 pack yet?

I made a pack up to experiment with, if I ever get my A-10. I have no intention of using the supplied battery cover so the size should not be a problem. I'm just concerned about weight, power to get it off the ground, and motor life....

Thanks,
Rick
rtucker is offline Find More Posts by rtucker
Old Apr 01, 2003, 09:37 AM
Forgot how to fly
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Oct 2002
10,198 Posts
Rick,
6 cells will get it off the ground, but 7 cells would be better IMO. Kan's will be fine as some are using HEcells that carry the same weight I believe. You may need to hog out (pun intended) the battery compartment a little to fit the Kan's, but they will work. Just leave off the battery door and use velcro to give yourself more options.

Mike
Old Apr 01, 2003, 10:44 AM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,714 Posts
I used a 7 cell HE1100 pack (2/3A) like this ===I use a dremal with a sanding drum attachment to open up the back side of the compartment, then lined the floor with velcro. Had to move the pack about 1/2 back to get it to balance right, otherwise it would have been nose heavy
dave morris is offline Find More Posts by dave morris
Old Apr 01, 2003, 10:54 AM
Columbus, Indiana
Joined Dec 2001
287 Posts
I wonder if the increase in thrust (7th cell) is worth the added 3/4oz. of weight? I can't wait to get my bird so I can start playing with this stuff!!! If it is the typical (post Beaver) battery bay, should be able to make most pack sizes fit.

Thanks Guys,
Rick
rtucker is offline Find More Posts by rtucker
Old Apr 01, 2003, 12:48 PM
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by foamflyer
Chuck,
You will not see a noticable thrust decrease from 8 cells to 7. 7 cells is already pushing these EDF's to their limit. You will see an RPM increase with 8 cells, but not enough Thrust difference to justify using them. Plus it adds the weight of another cell and not enough thrust to make up for it.

Mike
Thanks for Input FF
will try it., anyhow it does fly

Chuck
Old Apr 01, 2003, 01:50 PM
Forgot how to fly
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Oct 2002
10,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rtucker
I wonder if the increase in thrust (7th cell) is worth the added 3/4oz. of weight?
Rick
Rick,
In this case, the 7 cell does increase the thrust over the 6 cell as long as we are talking about NIMH's. If speaking of NICD's stay with a 6 cell.

Chuck,
Anytime
Old Apr 05, 2003, 04:36 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
How would (2) 2-cell Qualcomm 830 Lion Packs hooked up in Parallel with a Y-Connector works with the A10? I would align the 4-cell in this fashion (IIII) Straight up & down in the battery bay, should just fit. Anybody tried these Lions? I using this exact setup in my Mustang & seems fine, I assume it will also work in the A10, Do I assume correctly?

I would apprciate any input-Thanks

Mike