HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 31, 2003, 02:53 PM
planaholic
Zig Zag, OR
Joined Mar 2003
175 Posts
HB W 29 photo

Here is my rubber powered free flight Hansa Brandenburg W29. I still need to carve a prop and add a few more details. It is from Mike Midkiff plans. His plans are well engineered and he has quite a few of them
bob the builder is offline Find More Posts by bob the builder
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2003, 03:58 PM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,178 Posts
Very nice work, Bob. What is the span, length, area, etc.? Do you plan on doing another using electric power and R/C?

Jim
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Mar 31, 2003, 05:42 PM
planaholic
Zig Zag, OR
Joined Mar 2003
175 Posts
HB W29 details

It has a 30" wingspan and 180 inches of wing area. I used a CAD program to create the hexagon tissue pattern then printed directly on the tissue by tacking the tissue to a carrrier sheet and running it thru my inkjet printer. The other markings were masked and sprayed. I would like to do one for RC but I'm debating whether it would be electric or co2 powered. Co2 is light enough that I wouldn't have to re-engineer the plane to carry the weight of the batteries.
Old Mar 31, 2003, 09:22 PM
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
Amazing detail!

Bob,

You aren't just a builder, you are a Detailer! That is a beautiful model.

I seem to have lost the plans I had from Ralph Beck of his 82" span one...I - SOME DAY - will build it (electric, of course).

The A&P school in Denmark or Sweden (too long ago, I forget) rebuilt an Original W-29, and it is hanging in their museum. The curator sent me an 8 x 10 when I was starting research on this airplane, some 15 years ago.

Question: From my pictures, it looks like there are 18 struts, braces, spreader bars (OK - Anything that goes between the floats, or between either float and the wing or fuse). And, it looks like you recreated each of them. My questiion is: What is Your count of those struts, etc.?

Thanks, and thanks for sharing the pix

Terry
temacc is offline Find More Posts by temacc
Old Mar 31, 2003, 10:14 PM
planaholic
Zig Zag, OR
Joined Mar 2003
175 Posts
HB W29 details

Thanks for the compliments! I used Windsock Datafile # 55 for references, it contains many photos including close up detail shots and color plates...and yes there are 18 struts holding things together. Hopefully there will still be 18 struts after the first test flight! thanks again, bob
Old Mar 31, 2003, 10:23 PM
planaholic
Zig Zag, OR
Joined Mar 2003
175 Posts
Thanks for the compliment! I used Windsock Datafile # 55 for reference material. It has many photos including close up detail shots and color plates. And yes there are 18 struts holding things together. Hopefully there will still be 18 struts after the first test flight! thanks again, bob
Old Apr 02, 2003, 11:54 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,704 Posts
Electric works fine

Bob

You do really nice work- your handle is appropriate.

Anyhow-with the new li-poly cells- I wouldn't count on CO2 being significantly lighter than electric. Essentially a pair of Kokam 145s probably weighs less than a typical CO2 tank. Plus, it's a lot easier to have a throttle...

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Apr 02, 2003, 12:18 PM
planaholic
Zig Zag, OR
Joined Mar 2003
175 Posts
re: Li Poly cells

sam

thanks for the compliment. I have been hearing about the LI Poly cells but hadn't really looked into them. If they are that light that would definitely sway me over to electric. Co2 is a fun power source but can be finicky to run (temperature sensitive,leaky...).
I'm also interested in the rffs receiver with the proportional magnetic actuaters. It would be fun to have control over a 24" span scale model!

bob
Old Apr 02, 2003, 01:07 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,704 Posts
Nearly as bad as Jetex

Bob

I had as much luck getting my Telco CO2 motor to run, as I had with my recent foray with Jetex. The CO2 motor ball check valve didn't work, nor did the check valve in the fueler, so when I punctured the CO2 cannister- I had a few seconds of excitement, but no useable fuel. I gave the thing away years ago.

My last foray with Jetex involved trying to light the fuse with a lighter. The airplane caught- the motor didn't. I tried the electrical igniter system- discovered that an alkaline battery didn't get it hot enough. One of these days I'll try again...

I've really been much happier with electrics...

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Apr 02, 2003, 01:29 PM
planaholic
Zig Zag, OR
Joined Mar 2003
175 Posts
re: Co2

Sam, I"ve got 2 70's vintage Brown Co2's and a new G-Mot twin cylinder and they actually can run great especially if you don't move them from plane to plane. Tweaking the tubing is what caused leaks for me. If I knew how to solder it would be less of a problem. All I can say about Jet-X is you would really have to WANT to mess with it to stick with it.

bob
Old Apr 02, 2003, 08:08 PM
Damascus Md
Joined Oct 2002
147 Posts
Hanza-Brandenburg W-29

Speed 700 powered. 78" span covered with silk span. 12 sub c cells and a 2:1 belt drive. I have not flown it yet but it taxies well on the snow. The rudder in the propwash steers it well. Maybe that is why it is located low and there is no water rudder.
Jim Finn is offline Find More Posts by Jim Finn
Last edited by Jim Finn; Apr 02, 2003 at 08:13 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2003, 10:06 PM
planaholic
Zig Zag, OR
Joined Mar 2003
175 Posts
very cool!

very cool jim finn! I think your right about the rudder design. there is something very eccentric about the HB W29, it just begs to be modeled. I would love to be there for your first flight. good luck!
Old Apr 07, 2003, 01:07 PM
Stockholm Bromma, Sweden
Joined Mar 2000
141 Posts
Hello Terry and other seaplane nuts.

The Hansa Brandenburh W 29 is in the museum ar Helsinki airport in Finland. At least when I was there some years ago. I am attaching two pictures I took.

Sweden used Brandburg floatplanes too. They were designed by Ernst Heinkel and he was working in Sweden between the wars.
Sweden used the Heinkel designed planes up to the end of the war. One of them even shot down a German bomber flying inside the Swedish border. I suppose the German pilot was curious about the old monoplane.

The Heinkel floatplanes was always called "Hansa´s" in Sweden. I built a model of a "Bristol-Hansa" a couple of years ago. This one is powered by an IC engine but I have designed electric seaplanes later. My son´s Spruce Goose have been shown here earlier.

Christer
Haninge, Sweden
Christer Lagerstedt is offline Find More Posts by Christer Lagerstedt
Last edited by Christer Lagerstedt; Apr 07, 2003 at 01:11 PM.
Old Apr 07, 2003, 01:13 PM
Stockholm Bromma, Sweden
Joined Mar 2000
141 Posts
The attachment did not work. Here I try again

Christer
Christer Lagerstedt is offline Find More Posts by Christer Lagerstedt
Old Apr 07, 2003, 01:15 PM
Stockholm Bromma, Sweden
Joined Mar 2000
141 Posts
And next picture