HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2009, 06:13 PM
RC Addict
Western NY
Joined Jun 2002
1,668 Posts
Discussion
ESC Motor and Batt wire length

Does anyone see a problem with shortening both the motor and Batt wires on a Castle ESC?
Raydee is offline Find More Posts by Raydee
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2009, 06:16 PM
Build it, don't buy it
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Apr 2008
2,169 Posts
I don't.

foam.
foamnpacktape is offline Find More Posts by foamnpacktape
Old Apr 20, 2009, 06:27 PM
RC Addict
Western NY
Joined Jun 2002
1,668 Posts
I didn't think there was a problem BUT I have heard that you don't want to shorten the wires on a Brushless motor if they are already soldered. I have no idea if this applies to all brushless motors or not though.
Raydee is offline Find More Posts by Raydee
Old Apr 20, 2009, 06:44 PM
Build it, don't buy it
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Apr 2008
2,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raydee
I didn't think there was a problem BUT I have heard that you don't want to shorten the wires on a Brushless motor if they are already soldered. I have no idea if this applies to all brushless motors or not though.
Never heard of that. I used to have a couple of brushed ESC's with a disc shaped PCB that you soldered directly to the motor, no wire at all.
I have always used the rule of thumb: the less wire the better, and have never had issues. I wouldn't worry about it myself, but if your concerned it never hurts to wait for brighter minds to chime in.

foam.
foamnpacktape is offline Find More Posts by foamnpacktape
Old Apr 20, 2009, 06:55 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,197 Posts
Some brushless motors have the lead out wires as part of the windings... for whatever reason, apparently those are the ones you must not shorten.
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:20 AM
7000mw of raw power!
New Hampshire (not the old one)
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kiwi
Some brushless motors have the lead out wires as part of the windings... for whatever reason, apparently those are the ones you must not shorten.
Nearly all cheap motors bring windings out as leads. It's not that you shouldn't shorten them but rather you must remember to remove the enamel before soldering.
rich smith is offline Find More Posts by rich smith
Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:43 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,357 Posts
No, there is no problem shortening the wires on the ESC.

Though as some people have helpfully explained, if in the future you are ever thinking about shortening the wires on the motor instead you may need to be a little careful .

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Apr 21, 2009, 12:15 PM
Chicago 'burbs
Joined May 2006
1,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich smith
Nearly all cheap motors bring windings out as leads. It's not that you shouldn't shorten them but rather you must remember to remove the enamel before soldering.
And removing that enamel can be a royal PITA, especially if the manufacturer has used lots of very tiny gauge wire in the windings (wound in parallel). And that is the reason to look before you snip!
Alan Hahn is offline Find More Posts by Alan Hahn
Old Apr 21, 2009, 12:17 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,197 Posts
From Himaxx: this does not explain why shortening motor wires may cause motor failure... but there must be a reason other than voiding the warranty.

Do not shorten the motor wires. Shortening or cutting the motor wires voids the warranty and may cause motor failure. If the supplied connectors are not to be used, remove them by desoldering. DO NOT CUT THE CONNECTORS OFF!
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Apr 21, 2009, 12:56 PM
7000mw of raw power!
New Hampshire (not the old one)
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
It sounds like they are warning for exactly the reason I stated, noobs who don't know about magnet wire enamel. Desoldering instead of cutting would eliminate this pitfall.

I never pay attention to mfg warnings anyway. Why last week I brazenly removed a tag from my futon mattress... knowingly, willingly, and under penalty of law. Tore it right off! I am a wild mustang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kiwi
From Himaxx: this does not explain why shortening motor wires may cause motor failure... but there must be a reason other than voiding the warranty.

Do not shorten the motor wires. Shortening or cutting the motor wires voids the warranty and may cause motor failure. If the supplied connectors are not to be used, remove them by desoldering. DO NOT CUT THE CONNECTORS OFF!
rich smith is offline Find More Posts by rich smith
Last edited by rich smith; Apr 21, 2009 at 01:15 PM. Reason: futon tag confession
Old Apr 21, 2009, 02:28 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,575 Posts
Shorter motor wires do not hurt the motor in any way IF shortening is done correctly of course. How to do it correctly has already been explained by the other posters here.

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; Apr 21, 2009 at 03:54 PM.