HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which requires less work?
Mcx 29 87.88%
Cx2/3 2 6.06%
Other Pleas post in thread. 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 19, 2009, 08:54 PM
Joined Aug 2008
458 Posts
Poll
Which one wont destroy itself mcx or cx2/3

Hey guys and gals, i'm tired of the constant work required for all my other rc's and want a brake. Which one will last longer without work assuming I don't crash. The Mcx or a Cx2/3.

Thanks so much for any help
forrest225 is offline Find More Posts by forrest225
Last edited by forrest225; Apr 19, 2009 at 09:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2009, 10:26 PM
Joined Aug 2008
458 Posts
Would the person who voted other please be kind enough to tell me what heli they suggest.

Thanks,

Forrest
Old Apr 20, 2009, 01:05 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
Any heli can get itself into trouble. There's a thread right now about MCX spinning with erratic throttle control, and people have replaced 'everything' and it still happens. A couple say its the TX. But one owns 3 and with the same TX 1 flies right and the other 2 don't.

CX3 is expensive for what it is. And at least one reseller is said to have returned an entire shipment because they all had gyro glitches. My brother's does. Meanwhile, seeing as how there's a 3, the 2s are subject to discount, so of the ones you're looking at CX2 might be the best choice in terms of value.

I'd say V3/V4 are better values yet. V4 is blown plastic shell, literally indestructible unless your dog gets hold of it. Blades are 75 cents and take 2 min to change. If you drop it a lot, skids break. They plug in, cost $2.70

MCX has low mass so even when it hits something there's not much force involved. CXx and Lama Vx are a size larger but I seldom hear anyone complaining about having to work on them more than flying. My V4 has been running every day going on 4 months and I've never had to 'take it apart', only trimmed yaw some from the way it came out of the box.

The 'other' might be Quark, but you can get 3 V4s or 1 1/2 CX3s for the price. Quark is thoroughly designed, to the point a single-rotor operates as stably as a coax. It's a real prize if you can stretch your budget that far.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Apr 20, 2009, 07:08 AM
Joined Aug 2008
458 Posts
I would like to have the quark, but after I buy it I would never be able to afford blades for it I'm starting to think i will go for a cx2 or a V4. Still not entirely sure yet.

Or maybe the KOB. I like the looks of it. I think its the same as a V4 with a tail boom. http://www.helipal.com/kob-2-4g-edition.html
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:26 AM
Wausau, WI
Joined Mar 2009
633 Posts
If you want a larger coax, get a Lama V4 over a CX2. It's the same thing but half the price.
MicroJago is offline Find More Posts by MicroJago
Old Apr 20, 2009, 04:02 PM
Joined Aug 2008
458 Posts
k, thanks
Old Apr 20, 2009, 04:25 PM
NooB micro pilot
Southeastern, PA
Joined Dec 2008
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by forrest225
I would like to have the quark, but after I buy it I would never be able to afford blades for it
I believe the Quark comes w/4 complete sets of blades(main & tail). Too bad it still uses FM Rx/Tx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrest225
Or maybe the KOB. I like the looks of it. I think its the same as a V4 with a tail boom. http://www.helipal.com/kob-2-4g-edition.html
You could easily mod a V4 for the 'pod & boom' look. Xheli.com has both the 2.4ghz KOB and LamaV4...the prices are a little better and there's a coupon code somewhere out there for free shipping.

http://www.xheli.com/2kobrtfrecoh.html

http://www.xheli.com/2-4ghz-lama-v4-...-version-.html
microair is offline Find More Posts by microair
Old Apr 20, 2009, 04:33 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
10,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microair

Xheli.com has both the 2.4ghz KOB and LamaV4...the prices are a little better and there's a coupon code somewhere out there for free shipping.

http://www.xheli.com/2kobrtfrecoh.html

http://www.xheli.com/2-4ghz-lama-v4-...-version-.html
could you please elaborate a little bit on where "somewhere out there" is - considering that would have saved me 15$ in getting my big lama ...

thanks and regards,
Sven
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Old Apr 20, 2009, 04:40 PM
NooB micro pilot
Southeastern, PA
Joined Dec 2008
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2
could you please elaborate a little bit on where "somewhere out there" is - considering that would have saved me 15$ in getting my big lama ...

thanks and regards,
Sven
Its been a while since I used it, but try "CJFREE2" and see if it works. If not, simply Google search "xheli coupon"...you'll find it eventually.

microair
microair is offline Find More Posts by microair
Old Apr 20, 2009, 07:53 PM
Joined Aug 2008
458 Posts
I have not decided on where i want to order it from i just used that one because i happened to have a tab open with that site.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 08:09 PM
Hovering is Over-rated
Big Spring Tx
Joined Jan 2008
382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microair
Its been a while since I used it, but try "CJFREE2" and see if it works. If not, simply Google search "xheli coupon"...you'll find it eventually.

microair
It still works just a hundred dollar minimum now instead of fifty.
Saradog is offline Find More Posts by Saradog
Old Apr 20, 2009, 09:16 PM
Suspended Account
Pittsburgh PA
Joined Dec 2004
2,365 Posts
other: Nine Eagles Kestrel 500 or Explorer. neither have ever had a part replaced other than blades and never had any twitch or drift. that is quality IMO
Cable Guy is offline Find More Posts by Cable Guy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 20, 2009, 09:24 PM
Joined Aug 2008
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cable Guy
other: Nine Eagles Kestrel 500 or Explorer. neither have ever had a part replaced other than blades and never had any twitch or drift. that is quality IMO
Hows the parts support? Knowing me I will be able to break it eventually. lol
Old Apr 20, 2009, 09:33 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,180 Posts
My mcx has more flight time than repair. My lama v4 is awesome, but takes work. And I get to fly it outside. But as for you question, the mcx is my vote. More flying than tinkering. hehe. Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Apr 20, 2009, 09:54 PM
Joined Aug 2008
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy
My mcx has more flight time than repair. My lama v4 is awesome, but takes work. And I get to fly it outside. But as for you question, the mcx is my vote. More flying than tinkering. hehe. Lee
Lee, this has pretty much zip to do with the thread, but I already really like you simply because I have a friend named Lee and I keep imagining you as an older version of him lol.

OT: so far i have heard pretty good stuff about every thing thats been suggested other than the Nine Eagles Kestrel. Cableguy made the first post I have ever read at a forum about it.
I have two main concerns with the Mcx. The first is batteries. It seems they sometimes die very quickly with the stock charge rate. The other being how extremely small parts. I'm young and have good vision, but all the tiny screws get to me. I have no idea how all ye old geezers deal with it! Oh, and I have plenty of room for the lama indoors or in a garage so the extra size of the lama wont effect to fun factor very much.