HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2009, 08:21 PM
Joined Feb 2009
822 Posts
Discussion
What do you want in a modelboat magazine?

I like the idea of construction articles that finish the current model before starting another. Free plans that contain ALL of the plans and not just a couple of sheets. Keeping advertisers listings in one section instead of all over the publication; rather like a catalog. Lay flat comb binding with laminated front and back covers. Articles about tools and there uses, such as drills, dividers, handsaws, etc. Some history of the craft such as the history behind boats such as Orlo and Rainbow. What are your ideas and wants?

BigDutch
Nederlander is offline Find More Posts by Nederlander
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2009, 08:24 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,709 Posts
One that pays well for articles! And on time!
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Apr 19, 2009, 08:26 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,214 Posts
Sad to say.

But the forums have completly taken the place of my magazines. & I am a Geezer. 71

Rich
cyclops2 is online now Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Apr 19, 2009, 08:42 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,187 Posts
Wish this out post had a store that carried model boat magazine's

Plans are always nice,Full builds in one cover, so I'm not sifting through and trying to find an issue ..

Gear...and hey while yer at it,, a rating system ..End of the year place the best and worst ..Top ten Radio's ,ESC's,motor's what ever

Kit manufacturer's ..like get these guy by the buckle...fair and reasonable evaluation of kits ...and just because they bought 4 page's off advertisement dosent mean they get a good rating..no B.S. straight up ..

Tool's, Handy tips, Gadgets,

really ...the perfect one would be Maximum P.C. ..only for boats n ships..
more coffee is offline Find More Posts by more coffee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hi!
Old Apr 19, 2009, 10:58 PM
Webmaster, MMCNE
Acton, MA USA
Joined Feb 2000
628 Posts
Personally, I don't care for multiple issue build articles, unless there is a very special reason.

That is the reason I almost never bought an Issue of Model Ship Builder off the shelves at the local shop. It seemed like every issue I picked up had articles like "Building the Blah-blah-- Part 5". TThey oftne had more than one of these oging at any time, too.

If you're not interested in the subject, then you know that part 6 will be in next month's issue, so there's nothing to look forward to -- and if it is a subject you like, you're already 4 issues too late!
RCBoater is offline Find More Posts by RCBoater
Old Apr 19, 2009, 11:00 PM
Webmaster, MMCNE
Acton, MA USA
Joined Feb 2000
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350
Amen to that!! I generally found that the Model Airplane mags were much more reliable in that department!
RCBoater is offline Find More Posts by RCBoater
Old Apr 19, 2009, 11:30 PM
Kurt Greiner
USA, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Sep 2005
492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350
Heh, heh, Pat, sounds like the old Scale Ship Modeler...!

Kurt
seaphoto is offline Find More Posts by seaphoto
Old Apr 20, 2009, 12:54 AM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,705 Posts
The forums have not taken over for my purchases of Model Aircraft Magazines, even with the builds that go well beyoned the coverage of the builds in Flying Scale Models, because they offer the plans and good three views of the full scale aircraft. If a boating magazine took the same approach as Flying Scale Models, I would buy it. Marine Modeling comes close. I think Scale Ship Modeler should have fewer builds in any given issue and get them done sooner. I don't mind stretching a build over two issues, but some of the SSM subjects of interest require four to five issues, so I would have to be really, really interested in a particular model to buy that many off the newstand. On the other hand, the last issue had a complete build of the sidewheeler, so I bought it.

Just my $6.95 worth....

Pete
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Apr 20, 2009, 03:07 AM
Joined Sep 2006
855 Posts
I would like a magazine I can subscribe to on-line. With no need to pay international postage. This would also be much easier and cheaper for the mag concerned. Plans could be a downloadable pdf or cad file.
Other journals do it.

I pay about $100 per year for the Economist online. It contains everything in the magazine and more. I can download text articles, videos and podcasts. This also includes a hardcopy, which arives a week or two later. But I don't really read the hard copy.
tigerbay is offline Find More Posts by tigerbay
Old Apr 20, 2009, 03:18 AM
Retired and happy..
Malaga Province, Spain
Joined Jan 2008
135 Posts
Living abroad as I do for all English language magazines, I find that postal costs are exorbitant and therefore do not subscribe to any. I would love to do so at reasonable cost. I like tigerbay's idea above about online availability and subscription.
Footski is offline Find More Posts by Footski
Old Apr 20, 2009, 08:01 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,719 Posts
I agree with many of the above statements. I too don't like the "continued" builds. How about a couple pages on the build and the rest online if you want it? If your not a subscriber to the mag then you can't get to the online info. Simple and lots more room for pics in the mag itself.
The history of a featured craft is good but four pages of how the builder did his research is boreing. Put the research on line too.
Guess what I'm saying is put the meat in the mag and the dressing on the internet.
I used to belong to the NRJ and all I could get for my money was their magazine. It was a great slick sheet but too much theory and not enough building. They once put eight pages into the explaination of the word "furl". What a waste of good mag space.
I subscribe to Ships in Scale and I like the magazine. The photos arn't really very good but the info is there and most is interesting. Just wish it came out every month instead of every other month. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Apr 20, 2009, 08:36 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaphoto
Heh, heh, Pat, sounds like the old Scale Ship Modeler...!Kurt
Kurt, The old Scale Ship Modeler almost NEVER paid for contributed articles---.

Now, Challenge Publications was one cheapskate outfit---.

It's publisher, Ed Schnepf, believed that seeing your name in print in his magazine was reward enough---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Apr 20, 2009, 01:41 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,669 Posts
Sorry to say this guys... I just do not think that we have what it takes here in the US market anymore. I do not think we can sustain a traditional magazine like Model Boats or Scale Ship Modeler (SSM).

This forum and others have an aggregate of quality information, articles and chatter that is more and better than any US magazine since Loren's days at SSM. (And honestly, some of the build threads here make even SSM look weak.)

However, even here on R/C Groups, while we boaters are bigger than a pimple on a puppy’s behind, I wouldn’t rate us more than a tail. While I do not know exact numbers, no one will probably question that we are piggybacking off the Flyers. The advertising content certainly slants that way. I would be interested in how many ‘regular’ boaters we have (maybe one of the SysOps could get us some traffic figures).

Now understand, I majored in print journalism so I very much WANT there to be a good magazine that covers the US scale model boating, I just don't see the income to sustain one, let alone one of the quality needed, not without being overly beholden to or totally owned by the vendors. Norgale has already noted one of the quality problems I see; the photos in SIS can be terrible. (Rule one, Do NOT use point and shoot cameras for close-up or macro work, ever! Rule 2: Use a tripod.)

What I think will be more likely to happen, is that forums like this continue to evolve and serve the community. The one great thing about sites like this is they exist in a very Darwinian world with a lot of ‘environmental pressure’ in the form of feedback and ‘cross-pollination’ from the users to keep the quality up with features the readers want.

And as we all know, them that can, do, and they do publish their builds here for free! (Ed Schnepf is probably totally green.)

One major improvement, I could recommend is that the build threads, along with the relevant diagrams, plans, photos, etc., be compiled and reformatted into publishable documents, then converted to PDFs available for download.

Now one thing I do disagree on: while I do not like multipart articles in general, they do have a place when covering complex builds in magazines. As an example, I would point to Bill Mowll ’s series of articles in Model Boats on his builds of the HMS WARRIOR and SS GREAT BRITAIN (which also led to books). Both article series took multiple years. With the raising costs of paper publication, large, well-documented and technically sophisticated builds are not going to happen in single pieces anymore. Look how thin magazines are compared to 10, 15 or 20 years ago, it will only get worse.

I doubt any of the good build threads here would condense to a single-part magazine article with decent pictures anyway.

Something web-based probably could be organized. I think we definitely have the talent here (well, we might have to get some coders). Again, I have to wonder if it would be viable as a boat modelers’ only site from a commercial point of view.

The one place I see for print is manuals and books like Pat’s Mahogany in Scale and possibly detailed practicums of particular ships.

Of the many “popular level” books I see, I feel many are lacking depth and detail and I do not consider them worth the money paid when I compare them to Vic Smeed’s old books or anything by John Black, Daniels and Tucker or the aforementioned books by Bill Mowell. We need more books and treatments of the skills, techniques and technologies of our hobby on at least Pat’s level.

A priority I see is the passing on of knowledge to folks who wish to join our ranks by whatever means.
craig_c is online now Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Apr 20, 2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 02:31 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,759 Posts
[QUOTE=craig_c]Sorry to say this guys... I just do not think that we have what it takes here in the US market anymore. I do not think we can sustain a traditional magazine like Model Boats or Scale Ship Modeler (SSM).

This forum and others have an aggregate of quality information, articles and chatter that is more and better than any US magazine since Loren's days at SSM.

While Craig's words may be disappointing to many, I find it hard to disagree with his point of view.

Someone tried to start a new model boat magazine as recently as a few years ago, and met with failure, because of a lack of support from both modelers and advertisers.

I do also have to agree that the forums are a good substitute, perhaps even better in some ways. It's much easier to talk with a builder here than it was trying to interact with someone in the magazines.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Apr 20, 2009, 02:55 PM
United States, CA, Downey
Joined Jun 2005
1,834 Posts
Well if anyone wants to do a Mag I'm Available!!
I did the "Failed SRCBM Magazine's Design Layout and Art"
So it would be easy for me to get one going
I just need the publisher (the guy with the money to Print the copys) so if you think you want to just let me know! but from the above it seems that there is not enough interest, dont know but I do think that SRCBM had a few subscribers, however that was not my dept I just did the art, but many copys were printed and a distributor would be needed, But I would love to do it again... I was so disappointed when it went under! I have even given some thought as to a Model boat E-Zine
Jcopter
Jcopter is offline Find More Posts by Jcopter