HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2009, 06:35 PM
High Planes Drifter
Joined Oct 2006
81 Posts
Question
Convex hinge lines and hinge bending resistance

Folks -

I've constructed some balsa SGII tailfeathers with kevlar fabric hinges (under 0.75 oz bagged glass) on one side. Both the stab and rudder have some convexity to them along the long axis (tapered towards the tips). I have cut out the triangular hinge gap no problem, but note that there is some bending resistance as the movable surface reaches maximum travel (in both directions), due to the convexity of the hinge line. The resistance is not huge, but I'm wondering if it will make servos work harder than they have to.

Any fixes, or is this something I shouldn't worry about?

- Rogo
Rogo is offline Find More Posts by Rogo
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2009, 06:40 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,672 Posts
If you bag the parts out of the beds, and lay the hinged side flat on the work bench, it fixes the problem. It seems a little late now, but maybe cutting a few slits through the hinges at the apex of the bent part will help.....

Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Apr 19, 2009, 08:03 PM
Poland, Śląskie, częstochowski
Joined May 2008
1,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogo
Folks -

I've constructed some balsa SGII tailfeathers with kevlar fabric hinges (under 0.75 oz bagged glass) on one side. Both the stab and rudder have some convexity to them along the long axis (tapered towards the tips). I have cut out the triangular hinge gap no problem, but note that there is some bending resistance as the movable surface reaches maximum travel (in both directions), due to the convexity of the hinge line. The resistance is not huge, but I'm wondering if it will make servos work harder than they have to.

Any fixes, or is this something I shouldn't worry about?

- Rogo
Soften hinge little more that should reduce problem
pyrsly is offline Find More Posts by pyrsly
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 19, 2009, 09:05 PM
Canada .the great
Joined Jan 2008
1,521 Posts
take a triangular file and drag it down the hinge line along the top and bottom of the fin where it makes a bend ,,file until you see fuzz from the kelvar BUT no more than that ..
soarluck is offline Find More Posts by soarluck