SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 18, 2009, 04:56 PM
Centralia, WA
Joined Mar 2009
68 Posts
Discussion
Which 450... EXI-ZL, EXI-Pro or CF Flasher???

Any opinions (stupid question), recommendations or experiences you can share w/ me before this income tax refund that's burning a hole in my pocket flies away.

Mainly want to move up into a T-rex clone 450 class heli and on a pretty tight budget. Pretty much have it narrowed down to these three so looking for something to help me decide.

Thanks!

Mark
67shelby is offline Find More Posts by 67shelby
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2009, 07:00 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Take your pick. I'm pretty sure most of the components are made by Gulang. I don't know what your experience level is, but I've built a few of these clones and the aluminum isn't the best. It's not bad, but if you don't have flying experience, I'd stick to the models that are mostly plastic; less transmitted shock to deal with. Also, don't skimp on the tail servo and gyro.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Apr 18, 2009, 08:18 PM
Centralia, WA
Joined Mar 2009
68 Posts
Thanks Balr. Experience is still beginner. Currently flying a 400 (G2/36) and wanting to take the next step up. Like I said, I want something compatible w/ the T-rex for parts compatibility but also want something fairly nice w/o breaking the bank (which is why I was looking at these specific CF models).

Your point w/ transmitted shock is well taken and something I hadn't even thought of. I was hoping though to move up to one of these nicer CP heli's. Hmmm... something else to consider.

As for the tail servo, is there something you recommend that is good but not crazy $$? I don't do any 3D or anything, just basic (what you would probably define as "lame") flying. I'm just happy that I can now go out and go through a few battery paks w/o breaking something!

Do you know what the difference is between these two EXI's?
Old Apr 18, 2009, 09:58 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
I thought those were the same EXi models, just different naming convention. A digital servo is best for the tail, but I haven't seen one for less than $50 and those are marginal. I've used an HS81 with decent results, it's not digital but it has some power.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Apr 19, 2009, 02:28 AM
Centralia, WA
Joined Mar 2009
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14
I thought those were the same EXi models, just different naming convention. A digital servo is best for the tail, but I haven't seen one for less than $50 and those are marginal. I've used an HS81 with decent results, it's not digital but it has some power.
I don't think so, at least looking at them at the xheli site. The frames look a little different (although they both appear to be CF??). That's kind of what concerns me as I thought this was supposed to be T-rex compatible.

Yeah, I can't see spending $50 for a marginal tail servo, at least not right now. How much does the HS81 run?