HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2004, 09:22 PM
Scott Black, Montreal
montreal quebec Canada
Joined Sep 1999
1,254 Posts
Can you please describe what sort of covering was used? Is it colored tissue? Is it doped? Some of us are not familiar with these sorts of processes. It is truly a lovely model and with that low wing loading it must look perfect in the air. Congratulations.
sblack is offline Find More Posts by sblack
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2004, 01:06 AM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
331 Posts
The model is covered with tissue. Doped tissue is lightweight, stiff and inexpensive. However, it is a bit more laborous to put on tissue than shrink plastic. You have to dope it and you have to use smaller pieces at double curvature areas as the tissue won't shrink as much as plastic.

While doped tissue still is one of the most lightweight coverings painting it may ruin this advantage. Doped white tissue turns semi transparent and you have to paint it (if you want it opaque white). White paint doesn't cover as well as darker tones so you have to spray more of it. This adds to weight. To avoid painting you have to do as The Honoured Master Modeler Adrian Britton does:
The process of tissue covering is roughly as follows:
  • Prepare the frame by doping and sanding a couple of times where it will be in contact with the covering.
  • Put the tissue pieces on by gluing, doping or by melting the dope on the frame through the tissue with acetone.
  • Moisten the tissue by spraying lightly with water or water/alcohol solution.
  • The tissue shrinks tight when drying.
  • Dope the tissue and sand seams a couple of times. Doping shrinks the tissue a little bit more.
You'll find more detailed descriptions in modelling books and magazine articles.

With wing loading this low the model flies very slowly. And yes, it looks perfect in the air. You'll need a very calm weather, however.

-ilkka-
I. Klemetti is offline Find More Posts by I. Klemetti
Last edited by I. Klemetti; Aug 24, 2004 at 01:09 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 03:25 AM
Keep off the Grass!!
Cardiff Wales UK
Joined Jun 2003
1,681 Posts
FINISHING the FINNISH way!!

Yes, yet more supreme wisdom from The Mighty Finn before Whom I kneel, grovelling with the worms on the runway, humbling myself with cheap beer. I, who am not fit to wash His feet with dope thinners, do worship the Flight of the Super Cub as it floats past like a holy soap bubble

'Vintage 1' has also rightly pointed out that doped tissue painted may easily be heavier than a well applied Solite. I used this for the first time on my Cruiser and it really pleased me. I did not have to use any "balsaloc", simply ironed it warm onto the sanded balsa. I sanded finally with 600 paper. Time will now tell how it will endure. It has been exposed to what sunshine we've had recently and stayed taught. I'd be quite happy to use it on much larger models. I never got on too well with the standard films before, except tex.

Now, although doped tissue has such a "real model aeroplane" appeal on a delicate complex frame, it is so vulnerable to punctures and rips (even from blades of grass!) that enormous care has to be taken, especially when handling and transporting the model. It also seems to need a load of patching before I've finished covering!!

However, the tissue is fairly cheap, so you can practice with it. Ilkka must have used a very fine mist spray to whiten his Cub so prettily. A brush job would have moved the scales up and the performance down, defeating the structural efforts towards lightness

Buy the plans! One day you'll be able to buy mine too, if I can stop building long enough to sit and draw them up!!

Adrian the (tissue) Ripper
Adrian Britton is offline Find More Posts by Adrian Britton
Old Aug 24, 2004, 07:58 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,633 Posts
Playing with tissue is something everyone should try one day. It was all I used as a kid (monokote was just coming out at that time, ye, I am an old fart ). It does get heavy if you put too much paint on it, but is actually kinda fun to put on, however, some accuse me of being a masochist at times . As you can see from these masters, doped tissue has a really unique appeal. You can get everything from a fabric look to a metal look depending on the paint job.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Aug 24, 2004, 08:12 PM
Ravenna NE.
Joined Feb 2003
79 Posts
Found in Flying Models magazine

Very well done indeed! I just happened to look at this thread yesterday for the first time and also received my latest issue of Flying Models. Talk about a coincedence.

It has been a long time since I've posted anything on this forum, so please bare with me if these pictures don't turn out.
Randy Keldsen is offline Find More Posts by Randy Keldsen
Old Aug 24, 2004, 09:49 PM
Lagopus lagopus
Houston Hobby, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
765 Posts
Nice airplane! Sorry to hear it crash though . Hopefully it will be good as new once fixed.
WillowPtarmigan is offline Find More Posts by WillowPtarmigan
Old Aug 24, 2004, 11:41 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Just a wonderful looking model and flyer! Congrats!

This is enough push to crack out my Rubber Powered Plans for a 54 inch wing span TAYLORCRAFT! Really light and I am planning to power it with a SPEED 400 or an ASTRO FLIGHT 010, 14-turn geared applications for no more than 18 oz. with Li-POLYs.

Hum.....

Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Aug 25, 2004, 01:16 AM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
331 Posts
The Super Cub plans are sold in the USA by Flying Models. If you live over there you'll get the plans quicker from them. And the postage is probably lower. However, I don't know the Flying Models code for the plan as I haven't seen the magazine yet.

As you can see in Randy Keldsen's post above, there are several pages of building and flying tips in Flying Models 10/2004.

-ilkka-
Last edited by I. Klemetti; Aug 25, 2004 at 02:10 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 02:38 AM
Isle Lake, Alberta, Canada
Joined Jul 2004
42 Posts
Did I die and go to heaven?
I love this site, thanks guys!!
Bob Tildesley is offline Find More Posts by Bob Tildesley
Old Nov 11, 2006, 12:31 PM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
331 Posts
Ever since I read Dave Blum's thread about his Aviat A-1B Husky on floats, I have dreamed about that kind of a float plane.

I got my change when, after several years flying, I decided to replace the Super Cub's worn tissue covering with something lighter and to put a third servo in it. I re-built the landing gear so that it is attached with small magnets. The floats attach similarly.

I test-flew the uncompleted floats two weeks ago and was surprised that no trim changes were needed. Some photos here. The model is able to take off from a smooth floor.

Some details are still missing, e.g. the door line.

AUW w/wheels 227 g (8 oz.)
AUW w/floats 262 g (9.2 oz.)
Last edited by I. Klemetti; Jun 26, 2007 at 05:35 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 03:45 AM
Keep off the Grass!!
Cardiff Wales UK
Joined Jun 2003
1,681 Posts
Watery Dreams?

I wondered whether you might do that, Ilkka!

Did that pretty daughter nag you into it?

Now we went to Corfu in September and got a ride to Paxos and back on this... never been in a light twin before, let alone a seaplane! Lovely!!

...of course - another dream for a rebuild of my original Twotter. The Greek pilot is expecting to hear from me, but I've been given enough work to keep me too busy

...and then there's my Super Cruiser sitting up there with wheels that could fit something else....

Really good to see you here again. Good Finnish wine from silver goblets must taste better than beer!!
Adrian Britton is offline Find More Posts by Adrian Britton
Old Jan 28, 2007, 03:31 PM
Finland, Espoo
Joined Aug 2003
109 Posts
The Floats in Stunt Action

Hello,

We had today Otascale indoor scale flying session. Unfortunately we did not manage to arrange indoor lake for Ilkka. Instead of water very extraordinary scale take off system was used

Piper in the stunt action (video by Mikko R.)
http://www.kolumbus.fi/~w469252/otascale/P1000768.MOV

br. Jarkko
jarkko is offline Find More Posts by jarkko
Last edited by jarkko; Jan 29, 2007 at 01:04 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:37 AM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
331 Posts
She is still alive and going strong. Last week, I finally tried the Cub on the water. The takeoffs are very easy: you just open the throttle on headwind and wait for some 5 seconds.

-ilkka-
Old Jan 26, 2009, 12:05 PM
Finland, Espoo
Joined Aug 2003
109 Posts
Hello,

We had last weekend in our indoor session a young Cub pilot flying his Super Cub. The plane was done by using Ilkka's drawings by adding separate servo for ailerons. The plane was superbly done and you can see this yellow beaty flying in following video from 1 min 40 sek onwards (before the cub this a unpainted Fieseler Storch in very the first test and trim flight):
Otahalli 25.1.09 (8 min 3 sec)

/Jarkko
jarkko is offline Find More Posts by jarkko
Last edited by jarkko; Jan 26, 2009 at 02:42 PM.