HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 31, 2003, 12:10 AM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
323 Posts
Piper Super Cub

Hi,
just got my Super Cub completed. It flies like a trainer, soooo slooow. Wing span 1100 mm (44 in), AUW 225 g (8 oz).
I. Klemetti is offline Find More Posts by I. Klemetti
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2003, 12:19 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Dec 2002
105 Posts
Gorgeous plane -- congratulations. I am glad my Super Cub didn't look that good -- I crashed it soooo much I would have cried!!

More details. Scratch built or kit? What's the power? 8 oz for 44 inch span is impressive -- mine is more like 23 oz (speed 400).
Lloyd Lewins is offline Find More Posts by Lloyd Lewins
Old Mar 31, 2003, 01:17 AM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
323 Posts
Hi Lloyd,
the backgroud to my Cub is actually a Pico Stick. I thought Pico Stick would look better with a little more thicker fuselage. I took the motor and other equipment from my Pico Stick and designed a real looking airplane around them. The Cub is made of balsa and tissue. And to be able to fly indoors i added ailerons. Ailerons are coupled with rudder. Control wires are sewing thread (tent quality). Motor is from Pico Stick, I suppose it is called IPS or something. Battery is 2 x Li-Poly 1020 mAh. I can fly about one hour session with many landings and take-offs (they are the most fun part of fying this ship).
I also cried a bit when we got a mid-air with a depron-plane in 15 feet height. The models tangled together and fell to the ground. Damages: 5 broken balsa sticks plus a little torn paper. The Cub is in airworthy condition again. In the picture below, the cowling seems to be badly damaged. Actually it did't even get one single scratch. The cowling is held in place with a couple of rubber bands and the motor is attached to the cowling, not to the firewall.
Last edited by I. Klemetti; Mar 31, 2003 at 01:20 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2003, 01:55 AM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,019 Posts
That is one beautiful Super Cub. Thank you for the picture and I am glad it did not get too damaged. I have two Hobby Lobby Cubs and I am modifying one with ailerons but they are not as cool as yours.

Kasra
kasra is offline Find More Posts by kasra
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 31, 2003, 02:26 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
That is an absolute piece of artwork! 44 inches and 8 oz sounds like a beautiful combination! Do you have the plans available for download or purchase? I'm practically begging here as I'd love to build that airplane.

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Mar 31, 2003, 02:27 AM
Stavanger Sola, Norway
Joined Oct 2000
581 Posts
I.Klemetti,

Best looking Super Cub i have seen based on a Pico Stick.
That is recycling at its best!
Magic.
Helge
Helge Sondresen is offline Find More Posts by Helge Sondresen
Old Mar 31, 2003, 11:23 PM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
323 Posts
kasra,
I have seen picture of Hobby Lobby Cub on their web site. I think it looks great and the dimensions are same as my Cub. However, it weights three times more. This is typical with kit models. Sure, you could lighten it a lot.

Dreamer,
unfortunately I don't have plans available. I made plans for myself only and they won't be of any help for anybody else. Now, I have to decide whether I should document this past project or build a new one.

Helge,
hälsningar till Norge. Maybe you understad the text of this article describing how I made the 2 g wheels.
Old Apr 01, 2003, 03:03 PM
Stavanger Sola, Norway
Joined Oct 2000
581 Posts
I.Klemetti!
Thanks, nice wheels no problem understanding that.
Next time in Finland: Kaksi Olut! ?
And welcome to this forum..
Looking forward for more brilliant Finnish design.

Helge
Helge Sondresen is offline Find More Posts by Helge Sondresen
Old Apr 15, 2003, 06:12 AM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
323 Posts
Cub Drawing

Instead of beginning a new project I decided to document this past one. That is to say that I made a drawing of the Super Cub.
In case any of you are interested, the drawing is of A0 size, drawn with a professional CAD-system and laser-printed to 600 dpi.
Price is 15 e + pp. The drawing is currently available in Finnish language only, but if a couple of English speaking modelers are interested in it I might consider translating the drawing into English as well.
Below an excerpt of the drawing (the quality of this compressed jpg-file is pretty poor, the original drawing is laser-sharp).
Last edited by I. Klemetti; Apr 15, 2003 at 07:19 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 09:20 AM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
What a superb looking model! Well done! It is always an inspiration to me to see such examples of craftsmanship.
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old Apr 15, 2003, 11:41 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
How much is 15 e + pp in either US or cdn $? I'm very interested in having a translated set.

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Apr 15, 2003, 03:57 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,467 Posts
I would also like to have a copy of the plans, digital if possible so the parts could be laser cut. I would not use the CAD drawings for any purpose other than to construct a model for myself. Please let me know if this would be possible and what the cost would be in US currency. (translated into English would be nice but is not a necessity) Very nice airplane by the way! Regards, Chad Veich.
Chad Veich is online now Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Apr 16, 2003, 12:52 AM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
323 Posts
Prices

The letter e in my previous post refers to Euro.
Drawing size is A0 (about 34 in x 48 in). The price of the drawing and postage to outside of Europe in US currency are
Drawing USD 16.50
Postage:
Rolled/Priority USD 12.50
Rolled/Economy USD 6.50
Folded/Priority USD 4.50
Folded/Economy USD 2.20

Please contact me by e-mail ilkka.klemetti@pivota.fi regarding payments and further details.

I am going to make an English version of the drawing. This'll take about 3 weeks. However, all dimensions will remain in metric units.
Last edited by I. Klemetti; Apr 16, 2003 at 12:57 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 10:43 PM
I'm Charged!
The end of the Oregon trail
Joined Jan 2001
1,035 Posts
Wow! That truly is a beautiful model of a beautiful airplane. Superbly done!

Jeff
megawatt is offline Find More Posts by megawatt
Old Apr 23, 2003, 04:00 AM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
323 Posts
Parts drawing

Chad,
I now have the Piper parts in an AutoCAD 2002 drawing file. This drawing includes all components of the model except rectangular or direct cut ones. I'll send this file by e-mail upon request to those who want to laser cut parts for the Piper.
Last edited by I. Klemetti; Apr 23, 2003 at 04:09 AM.