SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:12 PM
I feel the need for speed
St. Petersburg, FL
Joined Feb 2007
1,268 Posts
Discussion
Hobby City ST Models Cessna 182 graphics challenge

Everyone is impressed with the performance of Hobby City's ST Models Cessna 182 Skylark. Less impressive is the graphics, with it's pink stripes. We have a wonderful person, Callie, that is willing to rework scale graphics, however, suggestions are needed. Post any Cessna highwing graphic scheme you think would look good as a replacement scheme to the ST Models stock scheme. Should be only photos of high wing Cessna type aircraft, but does have to be a C-182.

Here are my suggestions.

Voice your oppinion of your favorite, or post your own. Let your imagination run wild and maybe Callie can replicate your favorite scheme for the Cessna 182.
BaracW is online now Find More Posts by BaracW
Last edited by BaracW; Apr 18, 2009 at 06:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:53 PM
build, fly, crash, repeat ...
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
Callie just got done doing up a set of graphics for a Pat Tritle Ercoupe Iím having built, and I have to say, Callie is the God of Graphics, there is nothing she canít do, and her work speaks for itself.

She has a ST Cessna 182, and when she does the graphics up for this one, they will be an exact fit, she can do the Cessna logos, the correct name for the tail, (itís a Skylane, not a skylark as the graphics that come with the plane suggest) heck, maybe I'll even have her put my name on the door

The graphics that come with the plane are kind of ugly, and it doesnít take much to completely transform an already wonderful plane.

ST models got it right when they designed this plane, but they missed the boat when they designed the graphics for it.
Stuart Linfoot is offline Find More Posts by Stuart Linfoot
Last edited by Stuart Linfoot; Apr 17, 2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:57 PM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
here's one I found on the net with modified graphics, i don't think this is callies work, but it's an example of what can be done.

ideas and pictures would be great, it would be nice to have ideas to show her when she does mine.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 11:30 PM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
this seems to be the style that cessna is using on the new models, I like the red, but then again, I seem to have this thing for red, pink just doesn't cut it for me, after being forced to drive a pink pickup for a short time ......no more pink for me
Old Apr 18, 2009, 05:00 PM
Mike Brinker
SouthEast Michigan
Joined May 2008
555 Posts
As posted back on the old thread post #938 on 4/15 I thew in my suggestion for this one. Remember, it is the style that we are picking, not the color. Calie can cut the graphic from different color combination's

Mike
tr6world is online now Find More Posts by tr6world
Old Apr 19, 2009, 02:20 AM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
It will be interesting to see what Callie comes up with, I told her to surprise me, no matter what kind of graphics she makes, it's going to look good, but I am kinda thinking that I'd like to have more of a scale graphics scheme on mine.

here's some more pictures. some of these are pretty wild
Last edited by Stuart Linfoot; Apr 19, 2009 at 02:28 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 01:23 AM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Linfoot
It will be interesting to see what Callie comes up with, I told her to surprise me, no matter what kind of graphics she makes, it's going to look good, but I am kinda thinking that I'd like to have more of a scale graphics scheme on mine.

here's some more pictures. some of these are pretty wild

Stuart...some might require additional matching painting for the whole cowl
cover and round bits ??

Or if you choose a simple scheme as in attached examples... it will just be a
matter of applying decals to the bare white fuselage and wing /spats etc
as Sheng Teng have done......also can Callie make a
personalized order at not too much more expense?

Callie have you logged into this forum?

HJ(Louis)
Hondajet is offline Find More Posts by Hondajet
Old Apr 20, 2009, 02:37 AM
Joined Nov 2007
98 Posts
#5 and #3 get MY vote. I am **really** glad you guys are trying to do this. Like you all, I love this model, but the pink graphics are a deal breaker!

I like my planes to look as scale as they can, without spending hours and hours working on them. I do not have the time. That is why I fly foam park fliers. So, I hope the graphics kit you come up with has correct Cessna logos, markings, tail AND wing numbers because it just looks cool! I also liked the one with the American Flag on the tail (#3).....
JeffInDFW is offline Find More Posts by JeffInDFW
Old Apr 20, 2009, 09:14 AM
United States, NM, Magdalena
Joined Aug 2004
109 Posts
Hey Guys,
Sorry I haven't posted sooner. My husband and I took the dogs to White Sands, NM over the weekend , so I wasn't around the computer.

After I have an initial design for this plane, custom work is easy to do. The challenge on some of the schemes shown so far is getting vinyl around the cowling area. Very often, it will be easier to paint that area and use vinyl for everything else. The good news is that Testors Acryl and Tamiya paints have very good matches for most of the vinyl I use. I would imagine the cost for these sets would have a mid range of $25.00. Some would be cheaper, and others a bit more expensive. My goal is to offer high quality graphics at a reasonable price.
Callie Graphics is offline Find More Posts by Callie Graphics
Old Apr 20, 2009, 12:03 PM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
WHAAA WHOOOO! Callie's back! I think we're going to be seeing some nice graphics ideas now

like Jeff says, as scale as the plane is (minus the graphics it comes with) some scale graphics would be really nice on it. some Cessna logos, a slylane logo, ect.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 12:14 PM
Joined Nov 2007
98 Posts
Callie...my personal suggestion would be, YOU know what will work well, and what will not. YOU know what would be difficult to apply (your comments about the cowl graphics). The guys here are showing you what their basic tastes are, I think the best thing to do would be for you to see what "basic tastes" people seem to want, and then YOU design them for what YOU know would work best. They need to look great, but if they are near impossible to apply correctly, that won't end well! LOL! I guess what I am trying to say is, do what you know is best to get these graphics kits to install well. Sometimes it is hard to communicate by written word! Oh, and I also feel your cost estimate of $25 is very reasonable. Thank you!
JeffInDFW is offline Find More Posts by JeffInDFW
Old Apr 20, 2009, 03:39 PM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
That's why I'm thinking it's good that Callie has this plane, she can work with it and come up with some graphics options that will be easy for us to apply
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffInDFW
Callie...my personal suggestion would be, YOU know what will work well, and what will not. YOU know what would be difficult to apply (your comments about the cowl graphics). The guys here are showing you what their basic tastes are, I think the best thing to do would be for you to see what "basic tastes" people seem to want, and then YOU design them for what YOU know would work best. They need to look great, but if they are near impossible to apply correctly, that won't end well! LOL! I guess what I am trying to say is, do what you know is best to get these graphics kits to install well. Sometimes it is hard to communicate by written word! Oh, and I also feel your cost estimate of $25 is very reasonable. Thank you!
Old Apr 20, 2009, 05:59 PM
St. Petersburg, FL
Joined Feb 2007
1,268 Posts
Callie, you think the problem will be only with the air inlet holes on both sides of the prop, or with any curved surface? For instance, the area below the prop and cowl, including the air intake vent and around the bottom edge of the fuselage. You think any problems there?

Here is another, simple option from a C-172. Can change the name to Skylane instead of Skyhawk.
Last edited by BaracW; Apr 20, 2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 08:53 PM
St. Petersburg, FL
Joined Feb 2007
1,268 Posts
Could this be what our "Pinky" scheme was based on? Perhaps the original with a color change????
Old Apr 20, 2009, 10:27 PM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
that one looks pretty close to what came with the plane, but who came up with the pink idea? someone must have been tipping the bottle or something when they thought of pink, or, they decided to finally give us a nice scale plane, but throw us for a loop with the pink stripes.

the only other thing that bothers me about that plane is the two red lights where the wing tank fuel caps are supposed to go, I figured on doing something about that with mine, like knocking out the lights on top of the wing and replacing them with a couple of red fuel caps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaracW
Could this be what our "Pinky" scheme was based on? Perhaps the original with a color change????