SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 04, 2011, 04:13 AM
Australia, SA, Parafield
Joined Oct 2009
314 Posts
Im intending just to use an aileron-axis gyro on a funjet ultra - no rudder.

That hobbyking gyro you got man, sad. For the same price you can get a MEMS gyro elsewhere (more accurate, especially in HH mode). Oh well, it's always the way isn't it?

If your gyro is running all the time, even when the gear switch is off, I'd suggest that you might need to adjust the endpoints on your radio's gear channel.

Apparently you set the travel to the positive numbers for HH mode, and the negative numbers for rate mode. +20% is sensitivity of 20 on HH mode, -20% is sensitivity of 20 on rate mode. If you want the gyro off (to do nothing), you want it in rate mode (the negatives) set to about 1% (0% might put it in HH mode and you don't want that if you're trying to turn it off).

Good luck with it man, let us know how you get on with it.
Dillzio is offline Find More Posts by Dillzio
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2011, 06:57 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8471

so I grabbed this gyro without even thinking, I got it tonight and installed it. It runs all the time even when i turn the gear switch off just not as much. Yeah i screwed up but is there any way I can use this?
that looks like a re-labeled Telebee.

gear switch off? are you sure your doing it right?
http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/indexnew.html

Read the section on programming gain switch
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Oct 04, 2011, 08:50 AM
Australia, SA, Parafield
Joined Oct 2009
314 Posts
I just got the gyro I wanted, for the price I wanted from ebay. I had to bid for it, and now that I've won it, I don't mind sharing the scoop with you guys.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_5133wt_952

I don't know if that seller has any more, but there are others available on ebay for around the $30 mark.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 04:13 PM
Joined Aug 2011
13 Posts
do you guys think it's possible to use gyros from wii motion plus on a plane? i'm new to rc and i'm reading the topic about the multiwiicopter. i like planes, not multicopter, so i was thinking about this possibility. has it been alerady done?
gioplc is offline Find More Posts by gioplc
Old Oct 05, 2011, 04:18 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
yes, they've done it. It uses the invensense chipset I believe. You would have to put your own microcontroller in it.
The Assan GA250 uses the invensense chip, but for use on planes, they have a bug reported by a forummember. Until they run through existing inventory, not advisable to use a GA250 in the "off setting as it can accidently go into programming mode on you and make the plane crash.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 04:21 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillzio View Post
I just got the gyro I wanted, for the price I wanted from ebay. I had to bid for it, and now that I've won it, I don't mind sharing the scoop with you guys.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_5133wt_952

I don't know if that seller has any more, but there are others available on ebay for around the $30 mark.
When you get it, open it up and take a pic. There are a bunch of Piezo gyros on ebay that the seller says is MEMS sensor but is not.
Piezo is fine for rate mode though.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 09:48 PM
Australia, SA, Parafield
Joined Oct 2009
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
When you get it, open it up and take a pic. There are a bunch of Piezo gyros on ebay that the seller says is MEMS sensor but is not.
Piezo is fine for rate mode though.
Thanks, will do.

In the instruction manual it lists the sensor as a SMM type (silicone micro machine), which I believe is just another term for mems.
Old Oct 06, 2011, 09:48 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, will do.

In the instruction manual it lists the sensor as a SMM type (silicone micro machine), which I believe is just another term for mems.
Right, but china suppliers have done that before and it was really a Piezo.
The Colco GY400 is one I"ve used that is really Piezo but says SMM
Old Oct 06, 2011, 11:41 PM
Australia, NSW, Ashby
Joined Jul 2011
219 Posts
Some very good explanations on gyros and set ups here

This Melnic balances your page very well.
brace is offline Find More Posts by brace
Old Oct 07, 2011, 12:29 AM
Australia, SA, Parafield
Joined Oct 2009
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brace View Post
Some very good explanations on gyros and set ups here

This Melnic balances your page very well.
Do I detect a bit of a dig being had at your awesome gyro thread there Melnic?

My interpretation of that comment is that he thinks the quality of the information is excellent in the link, but this thread is full of bullenshizen (as the Germans might say - I don't know, i just make that word up)
Old Oct 07, 2011, 01:17 AM
Australia, NSW, Ashby
Joined Jul 2011
219 Posts
Quote:
Do I detect a bit of a dig being had at your awesome gyro thread there Melnic?

My interpretation of that comment is that he thinks the quality of the information is excellent in the link, but this thread is full of bullenshizen (as the Germans might say - I don't know, i just make that word up)
No offence was or is intended just sharing information and I think Melnic has done a great job of educating us all on gyros. Certainly he has helped me to understand and use them on some of my planes for which I appreciate.
No this is just to keep this thread open and interesting.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:26 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
I manage the mycoolrc website.
That same link is on post #1 of this thread.
The website should be the 1st place people go, this thread is more of an open and free discussion on the subject. I did a little bit of editing of post 1 later on, but to go back and edit all my posts on this thread would take too much time. Thus the suggestion to start with that webpage.

I still need to go and do some updates on the website on the use of elevons. Just been busy lately
Old Oct 10, 2011, 08:00 PM
Australia, NSW, Ashby
Joined Jul 2011
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
I manage the mycoolrc website.
That same link is on post #1 of this thread.
The website should be the 1st place people go, this thread is more of an open and free discussion on the subject. I did a little bit of editing of post 1 later on, but to go back and edit all my posts on this thread would take too much time. Thus the suggestion to start with that webpage.

I still need to go and do some updates on the website on the use of elevons. Just been busy lately

Well that explains why it is so informative and useful for us new to gyro's
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:20 AM
Just Me
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Apr 2006
833 Posts
Question? After reading through about half of these pages and most of your site Melnic, am I correct in thinking that when using two or more gyros the gain wires can all be connected through Y cables to the same gear switch? Using the GY48V.
Brner is offline Find More Posts by Brner
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:45 AM
Australia, SA, Parafield
Joined Oct 2009
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brner View Post
Question? After reading through about half of these pages and most of your site Melnic, am I correct in thinking that when using two or more gyros the gain wires can all be connected through Y cables to the same gear switch? Using the GY48V.
That should work totally fine, it's just that the same gain setting may not work well on each control surface Eg if you have big ailerons you prob need the gain set fairly low, but if you've got a small elevator you may want the gain fairly high - but other than that, no problem!