HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2011, 04:18 AM
Australia, NSW, Ashby
Joined Jul 2011
219 Posts
Has anyone tried the FY-30A ? or the FY-20AP ?
brace is offline Find More Posts by brace
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2011, 07:11 AM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Maitland
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillzio View Post
Oh come on Chatch, you had to go there didn't you?
lol I love my E-Sky 704 gyro
chatch15117 is offline Find More Posts by chatch15117
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 29, 2011, 07:42 AM
Australia, SA, Parafield
Joined Oct 2009
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatch15117 View Post
lol I love my E-Sky 704 gyro
what bird do you use it on?
Dillzio is offline Find More Posts by Dillzio
Old Sep 29, 2011, 01:55 PM
Joined Dec 2010
222 Posts
panther3001 is offline Find More Posts by panther3001
Old Sep 29, 2011, 06:06 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
I use it on my hawk sky when I fpv
Old Sep 30, 2011, 11:21 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brace View Post
Has anyone tried the FY-30A ? or the FY-20AP ?
Looking forward to the FY-30A. I'm impressed with the instructions. Knowing that it's probably betaware, I might just make the plunge and try one out on something el-cheapo. It's a killer price for sure! $125 USD = 3 gyros + 3 accelerometers in a single tidy little box. Plus it's programmed specifically for planes, and not helis. Just wished they had made it as a self contained rx with Spektrum satellite, and or S-bus compatability. That would have really cut down on the amount of wires. Although an option like that would probably bump the cost up considerably.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Oct 01, 2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2011, 03:38 AM
Australia, SA, Parafield
Joined Oct 2009
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
Looking forward to the FY-30A. I'm impressed with the instructions. Knowing that it's probably betaware, I might just make the plunge and try one out on something. It's a killer price for sure! $125 USD = 3 gyros + 3 accelerometers in a single tidy little box. Plus it's programmed specifically for planes, and not helis. Just wished they had made it as a self contained rx with Spektrum satellite, and or S-bus compatability. That would have really cut down on the amount of wires. Although an option like that would probably bump the cost up considerably.
that's one nice looking gyro!

You see how many spare wires it has to hook up to the reciever for adjustment? I counted 4, that's 4 extra channels you need to be able to adjust all of the gyros functions in flight.
Old Oct 01, 2011, 07:44 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,384 Posts
Quote:
that's one nice looking gyro!

You see how many spare wires it has to hook up to the reciever for adjustment? I counted 4, that's 4 extra channels you need to be able to adjust all of the gyros functions in flight.
The gain adjustments are done by trim pots. They also serve to reverse the direction of the servo - interesting shortcut the developers took inorder to save cost.

I would think that the individual gyros and accelerometers on the board work together via software too. Thats another advantage to a setup like this. If implemented, it can prevent weird stall conditions that individual heli gyros present on airplanes.
Last edited by Silverexpress; Oct 01, 2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2011, 07:35 AM
Australia, SA, Parafield
Joined Oct 2009
314 Posts
How can I expect an gyro (lets say in HH mode) on the aileron axis to handle during a loop?

If I pull up until the plane is upside down facing the opposite direction, would the gyro automatically take control of the ailerons and roll the plane the right way up again?

If so, how would this effect 'loop the loops' if the gyro started trying to roll the plane around half way through the manoeuvre?
Old Oct 03, 2011, 07:37 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,384 Posts
It would not right the plane, and as long as you don't move the ailerons, the plane will loop like its on rails.
Last edited by Silverexpress; Oct 03, 2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old Oct 03, 2011, 10:22 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
Quote:
How can I expect an gyro (lets say in HH mode) on the aileron axis to handle during a loop?

If I pull up until the plane is upside down facing the opposite direction, would the gyro automatically take control of the ailerons and roll the plane the right way up again?

If so, how would this effect 'loop the loops' if the gyro started trying to roll the plane around half way through the manoeuvre?
HH is based on relative position. As you loop, your wings don't rotate. it would help you with the loop.
Old Oct 03, 2011, 09:16 PM
Australia, SA, Parafield
Joined Oct 2009
314 Posts
Great, thanks guys.

I've read that in heading hold mode, gyros can sometimes do nasty things that make the plane handle in unexpected ways. For example, a gyro on the rudder in heading hold mode would try to counteract any steering you did by using ailerons and elevator - Imagine your gyro locking on to the horizon as you tried to bring your plane back to you using only ailerons and elevator, you would be steering it towards you and meanwhile the gyro would be using the rudder to try and turn it away from you, what a mess that would be!

I was wondering if there are any similar pitfalls that may be experienced when using a HH gyro on ailerons? The only one I can think of is that on a stable high wing plane, the gyro would tend to counteract the plane's natural ability to right itself.

-thanks
Old Oct 03, 2011, 09:44 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
if you lock the gyro in a certain roll position it will maintain that position. Use HH on rudder for crosswind landings. For a perfect crosswind landing, switch both rudder and ailerons from rate to HH on approach. This will keep the plane from rolling because of the rudder HH effects, while keeping the nose pointed in the correct direction(rudder HH).

You are overthinking the whole situation. A gyro only detects movement on one axis unless you buy a 3 or 6 axis gyro. These are single axis.

Elevator HH would keep the plane climbing at a certain angle, given you have enough thrust to keep it there. You should connect both gyro gain wires to the flaps channel through a Y-splitter if you want to be able to control two gyros and switch them between rate, off, and HH
Old Oct 03, 2011, 10:05 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,865 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8471

so I grabbed this gyro without even thinking, I got it tonight and installed it. It runs all the time even when i turn the gear switch off just not as much. Yeah i screwed up but is there any way I can use this?
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Oct 03, 2011, 10:29 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
lol i have no idea. Kind of a waste of money... the Esky 704 is the one you want and it's cheaper than that turnigy one