Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 08, 2011, 01:47 PM
Joined Oct 2009
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
visonj,
It sounds to me like you are swapping things "willie nilly".

Does the mixer have the inputs labeled? If not, label them "E" for elevator and "A" for aileron.
Hook things up without the gyro and verify you have it marked correctly and connected up to your RX properly. Make sure the sticks move the control surfaces correctly.
Now that is all good, then hook up the gyro like darzur says.
You're right....that's the only thing I haven't changed (the servo inputs into the mixer...and they aren't labelled), and it makes perfect sense...I'll give it a try when I get home from work....

John
(AKA "Willie Nillie")
vinsonj is offline Find More Posts by vinsonj
Last edited by vinsonj; Sep 08, 2011 at 02:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2011, 05:52 PM
Joined Oct 2009
102 Posts
Thanks guys....it's up and everything is fully functional....now it's just a matter of waiting until the rain stops to get out and give it a go!
vinsonj is offline Find More Posts by vinsonj
Old Sep 12, 2011, 04:54 PM
Australia, NSW, Ashby
Joined Jul 2011
219 Posts
What a great read this thread has turned out. Thanks to all who contributed and thanks to Melnic for bringing this interesting subject up. With all the input I have learnt a lot more about my transmitter and have had great fun experimenting with AXN Clouds Fly. Before take off and landing on strong windy days was always heart in mouth affairs with the swirling winds near the ground but now with just one gyro HK401b set up for aierlons it is so much more fun. After a bit more experimenting I will be putting a gyro on my Tail dragers rudder a J3 cub to give a more steady take off and landings in the cross winds. Again thanks to all for making this hobby of ours even more fun
brace is online now Find More Posts by brace
Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:04 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
Most of my work (ok, all of it) has been with just doing the Ailerons.
I have a small Grayson EPP foam plane w/ 2 aileron servos. I plan to try it out where I put 1 gyro on just 1 of the ailerons. Since the gyro is on the aileron to dampen unwanted movement, I'm expecting I will be able to run a little higher gain on that one gyro since it is running just one aileron. I already fly it in the wind since it's pretty rugged and if I just drop the throttle, it does not get damaged on impact in the weeds I fly over. If you have 2 gyros, I am thinking it may cause oscillation but so does a single gyro if you crank up the gain too high. I've never put 2 gyros on before but my experiance with flybarless helis (Heading hold gyros on each of the 3 axis), they say to NOT match the gain on any 2 channels or it may cause oscillations. So I'm wondering if you had 2 gyros if you'd match gain or mismatch them. Dunno.

To the "if you need a gyro crowd", I ask what about "if you need a bigger plane"? Tell them that!. If I fly my .40 Nitro trainer in 20mph wind, am I a bigger man than them not flying their .60 Nitro? Once again, this hobby to many is about enjoying themselves. A gyro on the ailerons can help w/ high winds and allow you to worry less about controlling in a gust. I however don't plan to put a rudder gyro on any of my planes unless it were something that was REALLY uncontrollable on takeoff like a jet or something on pavement. I can handle a tail dragger rudder on take off just fine and encourage people to get better at it as well. But if yours gives you alot of grief, no reason not to do something that allows you to be more safe and enjoy yourself. Since I don't fly over pavement and don't have a jet. I don't think I'll be doing that any time soon. I don't think I'd put it on the rudder to do a better torque roll but I don't plan to insult anyone who tries it either.

BTW, a Rate Gyro on any control surface will dampen not just the unwanted movements but the wanted movements. So on the aileron, it will reduce the roll rate and make it feel "mushy" but only to the extent if you turn your gains up to high. (I though I had mentioned this at the top). Heading Hold Gyros don't do that but I think are not good to use to start out with.

Years ago, the dual Rate mechanical gyros were RATE gyros and you could control the gain. Since NONE of the gyros I've tested so far work the way I want them to in rate mode, I have yet to see a way to say flip a switch and turn on the gyro. That's one of my goals is to find such a gyro that one could flip the switch on way and say the gyro is either off, or a really low gain, then flip the swith the other way and the gyro is on.

I am hoping to first find out what gyros people are using and get that info out there. Then I can start keeping a list of what people can/have used and how they used it.
Melnic,

You started this thread in 2009 and it looks lik you accomplished your goal (in bold above). In fact, I think you exceeded expectations. My compliments.

This is the definitive thread for gyros. The only thing you forgot to do was reserve the first few posts for FAQs.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Sep 18, 2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 08:28 PM
Joined Jul 2011
29 Posts
would the hk401b work with the hawk sky?
termeric is offline Find More Posts by termeric
Old Sep 18, 2011, 09:50 PM
Australia, NSW, Ashby
Joined Jul 2011
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by termeric View Post
would the hk401b work with the hawk sky?
Should do they work fine on the AXN.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 09:56 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2010
471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brace View Post
Should do they work fine on the AXN.
I also have one one the left aileron on my AXN, works very well, hands off with flaps on into a gentle breeze, its a pleasure to fly!
Haych is online now Find More Posts by Haych
Old Sep 18, 2011, 11:46 PM
Australia, NSW, Ashby
Joined Jul 2011
219 Posts
Lots of fun but I have placed both aileron's on the gyro, took a while to work out how to do it but the thread helped me a lot. Plane is fantastic in the wind, makes take off and landings a lot easier.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 01:57 AM
Joined Mar 2010
471 Posts
Quote:
Lots of fun but I have placed both aileron's on the gyro, took a while to work out how to do it but the thread helped me a lot. Plane is fantastic in the wind, makes take off and landings a lot easier.
have you got flaps (flaperons) or do you use a Y cable to join the 2 servos?
Old Sep 19, 2011, 03:19 AM
Australia, NSW, Ashby
Joined Jul 2011
219 Posts
I use a Y cable at present so no flaperons, don't really need them with the AXN.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 03:53 AM
Joined Mar 2010
471 Posts
Quote:
I use a Y cable at present so no flaperons, don't really need them with the AXN.
true... but you dont really need a gyro in the AXN either, it just makes it better than if you dont use it.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 04:22 AM
Australia, NSW, Ashby
Joined Jul 2011
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haych View Post
true... but you dont really need a gyro in the AXN either, it just makes it better than if you dont use it.
True, unless you are mad like me and fly in winds around 15 knots and think its fun Then I am grateful for the gyro because it allows me to land with out having a wing tip over in a gust and turn things ugly. Surprising how tough these planes are.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 05:06 AM
Australia, SA, Parafield
Joined Oct 2009
314 Posts
I'm thinking of jumping on the gyro bandwagon to make a funjet ultra easier to control, and to make a hobbyzone super cub more stable in the wind.

One question i have about a funjet setup, I understand that using a gyro on the aileron axis not only eliminates unwanted movements, but it regulates the roll rate of wanted movements as well.

How does the gyro 'know' how fast the aircraft should be spinning for a given amount of stick movement? The reason I ask is a roll rate of 1 roll per 2 seconds at full stick would be pretty good on a cub, but very ordinary on a funjet.

Could i expect any problems with an ailerion-axis gyro slowing down the roll rate too much, and can the roll rate be adjusted?
Dillzio is offline Find More Posts by Dillzio
Old Sep 19, 2011, 06:15 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,437 Posts
You set up the throws mechanically and with the limit pot on the gyro.
But the roll rate is adjusted with the travel adjust or dual rates in the TX.

With the funjet, you have to either use 2 gyros offset or an onboard mixer with the gyro before the mixer. How you control roll rate depends on which method you choose.

I have a regular white funjet but don't have any gyro on it. I don't fly it in heavy winds though.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Sep 19, 2011, 06:41 AM
Norway
Joined Feb 2010
602 Posts
I've used a gyro on a flying wing (which the Funjet is, for control purposes), with an on-board mixer, and it was horrible. The mixer I used had pretty bad resolution though, so I got maybe 20 steps from full up to full down. You also lose all the niceties of having a computer radio, like subtrims and differential. Many people have reported that putting the gyro on only one of the elevons works just fine, so that's what I would do now on a Funjet.

I used a GA-250 gyro on my Formosa, which is a pattern plane. The roll rates were reduced some, I would estimate I got somewhere between 1 and 2 rolls per second with the gyro.
As far as I can tell, the roll rates are hard-coded into the gyros by scaling the servo signal to a linear roll rate, so I don't expect you'll get the extreme roll rates a funjet is capable of.
meshyx is offline Find More Posts by meshyx