HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2011, 10:12 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
face the gyro label forwards/backwards to control Aileron Roll.
The gyro will jittter the servos some when you pick it up and move it but should only make it roll when you have it on the aileron axis.
If you roll the plane by lifting the right wing tip, the right elevon should raise and the left should drop. If not, reverse the gyro via the gyro reverse switch ON THE GYRO.
pitching the plane should make them move little if not at all.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2011, 11:30 AM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,127 Posts
Well, crashed today due to gyro trouble.
I did some things I have done a few times before. But this time ended in catastrophe. I was testing the gyro kill switch, and it flipped about 80 degrees. Switched it back, different, but more of same. As if it was locked in an aileron roll.
Luckily I was over a grass field at the time, and crashed safely.
I have tested all teh switches/knobs before maybe half a dozen times with no trouble. Any idea why now?
My guess is low voltage or unknown TX/gyro programming conflict. It was towards end of flight on dodgy lipos. No issues with plane though.
I hit the 2 switches I had assigned for trim and gyro kill. The latter flipped the plane. Any idea why now?
Afterwards, I tested by turning TX off/on, but no difference. Killing plane lipo seemed to reset gyro problem, and I was able to do a problem-free flight 1 more time keeping switches as is with gyros/trim on all teh time.

Bit frightening though as I plan on AV over buildings, people, etc. Would like to sort this out.
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
Old Sep 07, 2011, 11:50 AM
Joined Mar 2009
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNiceGuy View Post
Well, crashed today due to gyro trouble.
I did some things I have done a few times before. But this time ended in catastrophe. I was testing the gyro kill switch, and it flipped about 80 degrees. Switched it back, different, but more of same. As if it was locked in an aileron roll.
Luckily I was over a grass field at the time, and crashed safely.
I have tested all teh switches/knobs before maybe half a dozen times with no trouble. Any idea why now?
My guess is low voltage or unknown TX/gyro programming conflict. It was towards end of flight on dodgy lipos. No issues with plane though.
I hit the 2 switches I had assigned for trim and gyro kill. The latter flipped the plane. Any idea why now?
Afterwards, I tested by turning TX off/on, but no difference. Killing plane lipo seemed to reset gyro problem, and I was able to do a problem-free flight 1 more time keeping switches as is with gyros/trim on all teh time.

Bit frightening though as I plan on AV over buildings, people, etc. Would like to sort this out.

Do you suppose you overloaded the BEC ?

Dick
otrcman is offline Find More Posts by otrcman
Last edited by otrcman; Sep 07, 2011 at 11:52 AM. Reason: corrected a spelling error
Old Sep 07, 2011, 12:17 PM
Joined Oct 2009
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
face the gyro label forwards/backwards to control Aileron Roll.
The gyro will jittter the servos some when you pick it up and move it but should only make it roll when you have it on the aileron axis.
If you roll the plane by lifting the right wing tip, the right elevon should raise and the left should drop. If not, reverse the gyro via the gyro reverse switch ON THE GYRO.
pitching the plane should make them move little if not at all.
Yeah, I have the gyro facing backwards, towards the engine. There is a fair amount of jittering initially, and I can tell when the gyro is reversed....but like I said, it looks as if both ailerons are moved by the gyro in the same direction, regardless of which wing is lifted. On the other plane that doesn't have the aileron's mixed, its obvious that the wing being lifted has the same aileron move up to counter that movement, and the other aileron doesn't move. With this mixed setup, it's not so obvious, and worse, it looks like they both move the same amount in the same direction.....and this is with either of the gyros I tried....
vinsonj is offline Find More Posts by vinsonj
Old Sep 07, 2011, 03:54 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
That should not happen if it's wired properly.
With the plane sitting still on the table when you move the stick right/left and up/down do the surfaces move properly?
Old Sep 07, 2011, 06:11 PM
Joined Oct 2009
193 Posts
Quote:
That should not happen if it's wired properly.
With the plane sitting still on the table when you move the stick right/left and up/down do the surfaces move properly?
Yeah....stick movement gets the correct responses from the ailerons (now that the mixer is wired properly...heh)....it's just odd. I have another flying wing (mini slinger) that I will try the gyro's and mixer on as well....but if the problem is in the Tx or Rx, it will likely reappear since they're the same brands, right?
Old Sep 07, 2011, 06:47 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
roll the airplane right, what do each control surface do?
pitch the airplane right, what do each control surface do?
Old Sep 07, 2011, 06:57 PM
Joined Oct 2009
193 Posts
Quote:
roll the airplane right, what do each control surface do?
pitch the airplane right, what do each control surface do?
both of the ailerons move in the same direction when I roll (both move up when I roll right, both move down when I roll left) Not sure what you mean by pitching right or left....pitching is in the nose up/down direction, right? If that's the case, there is no response from the ailerons when the nose is pitched up or down. The Esky seems to work better than the futaba (both gains are nearly maxed out, but at least with the Esky you can clearly tell it's moving the aileron to correct the roll....but with the Futaba it really only twitches both servos and you really can't tell what it's doing, even with the gain all the way up.).

Another weird thing, with both gyros I have to plug them into the receiver on channel 2 instead of channel 1. Otherwise the mixed ailerons are swapped (i.e. they both move up/down together by moving the right stick left/right, and they move in opposite directions by moving the right stick up/down). Not sure if that weirdness is part of the problem or just a symptom of something else that's just not working as it should....

I'm wondering if it's just something with the mixer not working well with the gyros....the mixer works fine by itself, and so do the gyros (both work perfectly with my other plane that has an elevator and doesn't need mixing)
Last edited by vinsonj; Sep 07, 2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2011, 08:50 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,408 Posts
There is a good possibility that the mixer is incompatible with the gyro. To my understanding, the gyro sends out 1520/70, but the mixer only understands 1520/50....etc as an example. Can someone add more to this?

found some info...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1168048

http://www.dionysusdesign.com/produc...roducts_id/174

http://www.rcpowers.com/forum/showth...s-and-mr.-Lott

else...try googling.... "using a mixer with a gyro"
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Sep 07, 2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2011, 09:03 PM
Joined Oct 2009
193 Posts
well....that would explain it....would anyone have a recommendation for a mixer that works with gyros?
Old Sep 07, 2011, 09:57 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
sorry, I meant pitch plane up/down.
The esky should work with the mixer.
I think you have the gyro inline with the elevator wire going from the Rx to the mixer. Switch it to the other one then try again.

Your gyro is responding right, but your just hooking it up in series with the elevator wire instead of the Aileron. To validate this, unplug the gyro going to the mixer (leave the wire unplugged). If aileron movement in the Tx makes the plane roll, then you had the wrong connection.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 08:51 AM
Joined Oct 2009
193 Posts
Quote:
sorry, I meant pitch plane up/down.
The esky should work with the mixer.
I think you have the gyro inline with the elevator wire going from the Rx to the mixer. Switch it to the other one then try again.

Your gyro is responding right, but your just hooking it up in series with the elevator wire instead of the Aileron. To validate this, unplug the gyro going to the mixer (leave the wire unplugged). If aileron movement in the Tx makes the plane roll, then you had the wrong connection.
Not sure if the gyro really is responding right though, since both ailerons move in the same direction, right? And I agree, it is inline with the elevator wire (as I mentioned above, when I have it inline with the aileron, something else gets mixed up and the controls are swapped again. (i.e. right stick movement left/right causes the ailerons to move together up and down, and right stick movement up/down casuses the ailerons to move in opposite directions). So weird..... I suppose I could actually fly it that way if I held the Tx sideways LOL

I went ahead and picked up another mixer that seems to work with the Esky gyro (although it's a vtail mixer, hopefully it will work with this elevon setup (http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Wing-Sys...06OBL4E)....we shall see

Thanks again for the help, never would have gotten this far without it!
Old Sep 08, 2011, 09:05 AM
Poland, Dolnoslaskie, Oława
Joined May 2006
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinsonj View Post
Not sure if the gyro really is responding right though, since both ailerons move in the same direction, right?
Well,

I looks you like make simple things hard. Gyro have to be connected between RX and mixer - to which line it depends what do you want to do. If you want to correct roll axis (ailerons) then it must be on aileron line (channel) if you want it on the pitch axis (elevator) then connect it to elevator line. If both ailerons goes up/down simultaneously then you've connected gyro to elevator channel so switch it to aileron channel.
darzur is offline Find More Posts by darzur
Old Sep 08, 2011, 09:12 AM
Poland, Dolnoslaskie, Oława
Joined May 2006
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinsonj View Post
(i.e. right stick movement left/right causes the ailerons to move together up and down, and right stick movement up/down casuses the ailerons to move in opposite directions). So weird..... I suppose I could actually fly it that way if I held the Tx sideways LOL
Did you tried to swap aileron/elevator plugs IN THE RX? Do it and everything will come back to normal. To sum it up:

* Gyro OUTPUT -> aileron input IN MIXER
* RX aileron output -> Gyro INPUT
* RX elevator output -> elevator input IN MIXER
darzur is offline Find More Posts by darzur
Old Sep 08, 2011, 09:28 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
visonj,
It sounds to me like you are swapping things "willie nilly".

Does the mixer have the inputs labeled? If not, label them "E" for elevator and "A" for aileron.
Hook things up without the gyro and verify you have it marked correctly and connected up to your RX properly. Make sure the sticks move the control surfaces correctly.
Now that is all good, then hook up the gyro like darzur says.