HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2011, 12:40 AM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
nice guy, Not sure I fully understand what you did but you need a way to set an offset or subtrim to that "0", OFF is a low rate gain. I don't think I EVER and up in the middle, I'm always offset a little to one end. In my vidoes I show how I adjust subtrim to get a low rate gain "off" condition.
It seems to be working correctly now, on its own. Never did figure it out. But seems to work. Hit a switch and both gyros almost turn off. When on, I can manualy adjust both gyros independantly using the TX face knobs. I think thats good enough for me.
One more mix I may be able to do is 3 position switch: the extra position is a set rate for the gyros AND disables the knobs. Its easy to hit the knobs accidentaly during rough hand launches.
Are most radios this complex to program? Or is mine just old tech?
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2011, 06:33 PM
Joined Oct 2009
190 Posts
So I've got the gyros installed in both my planes, however the Superfly (with elevon mixing) isn't mixing when the gyro is installed (I've tried it with both gyros, the Esky and the Futaba). The elevons will move in opposite directions when the right stick is moved left/right, but they also move in opposite directions when the right stick is moved up/down. I've tried reversing the channels, as well as reversing the servos in the Y-adapter, but no dice (even tried different Y-adapters). The gyro's work fine otherwise. Has anyone else gotten a gyro to work on an elevon mixed plane? It sounds like the only alternative is to get another gyro for it, and have each servo have their own gyro. I'd rather not do that though, if possible.....any thoughts?
vinsonj is online now Find More Posts by vinsonj
Last edited by vinsonj; Sep 05, 2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2011, 09:24 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
vinson,
Sounds like an issue with reversing the gyro itself.
Are you going through a mixer on the plane or are you using mixing in the TX?
If you use an onboard mixer, you put the gyro between the RX and the mixer
If you are NOT using an onboard mixer and you are using the tX mixing then you need to install 2 gyros, one for each servo then offset angle the gyros (there is a link a while back to a thread on RCPOWERS.com for that.
I did the TX mixing, no onboard mixer and 2 gyros offset on my flying doghouse.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Sep 05, 2011, 09:43 PM
Joined Oct 2009
190 Posts
Quote:
vinson,
If you are NOT using an onboard mixer and you are using the tX mixing then you need to install 2 gyros, one for each servo then offset angle the gyros (there is a link a while back to a thread on RCPOWERS.com for that.
Ahhh....interesting....I am currently using the onboard Tx mixer, but i do have a separate mixer that I'm not using. I'll give that a shot and see how it works....thanks!

Just to be sure....you need to turn the Tx mixer off when using a separate mixer, correct?
Old Sep 06, 2011, 08:32 AM
Bobmic
Canada, ON, Vaughan
Joined Jun 2011
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNiceGuy View Post
It seems to be working correctly now, on its own. Never did figure it out. But seems to work. Hit a switch and both gyros almost turn off. When on, I can manualy adjust both gyros independantly using the TX face knobs. I think thats good enough for me.
One more mix I may be able to do is 3 position switch: the extra position is a set rate for the gyros AND disables the knobs. Its easy to hit the knobs accidentaly during rough hand launches.
Are most radios this complex to program? Or is mine just old tech?
Linking the Gyros to a knob is not a very good idea because you do not have a fixed control over the gain and can easily change it and go from zero to rate and HH.
I have a Futaba 8U Supper and I hooked up 3 Gyros to one gain with a 3 position switch that has HH, Rate and Zero. I have 3 mixes and channel 7 knob can be easily disabled if you turn on the AI-DIF, otherwise you need to use mixes to disable other knobs.
bobmic is offline Find More Posts by bobmic
Old Sep 06, 2011, 11:16 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinsonj View Post
Ahhh....interesting....I am currently using the onboard Tx mixer, but i do have a separate mixer that I'm not using. I'll give that a shot and see how it works....thanks!

Just to be sure....you need to turn the Tx mixer off when using a separate mixer, correct?
yes, if you have an onboard mixer, TX mixing is off.
Make sure Mixer works first, maiden plane, then add gyro.
You can use 1 gyro for say just ailerons if you have the on board mixer.
If you don't have an onboard mixer, you MUST use 2 gyros and offset angle them.
Old Sep 06, 2011, 11:18 AM
Joined Oct 2009
190 Posts
Quote:
vinson,
I'm having some issues getting it plugged in right...I think I might need to get some sort of female/male adapter if I'm going to plug the gyro in between the mixer and the RX, right? The mixer has two male connectors and two female connectors, but the gyro only has the one female (the Y-adapter connects to it, and provides the two female connections that would go to the two male connections on the mixer). That leaves the two female connections coming from the mixer that are the same connections that come from the servos, correct?
Old Sep 06, 2011, 11:29 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
What gyro?
Old Sep 06, 2011, 11:36 AM
Joined Oct 2009
190 Posts
Either gyro....they both have the same connectors (i.e. no gain wire)....one's the Esky 704 (silver with blue label, not the 704 A or B), and the other is the Futaba GY240....
Last edited by vinsonj; Sep 06, 2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2011, 12:54 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
You should have one female and one male on the GY240.
One should plug right into the RX and the other to the Mixer.
Old Sep 06, 2011, 01:16 PM
Joined Oct 2009
190 Posts
Quote:
You should have one female and one male on the GY240.
One should plug right into the RX and the other to the Mixer.
The mixer has two male plugins though...so I should use a Y-adapter from the gyro to the mixer, right? that would mean the two male connections from the Y-adapter would go to the gyro, leaving the two female connections to go to both the servos....but both servos are also female connections....see my dilemma?

Oh yeah...and here's the mixer that I've got:

http://www.gravesrc.com/GPMA2428_GP_...p/gpma2428.htm

Do I need to get a different mixer perhaps? I only played with it a little bit last night, but I wasn't able to get it to work with just the mixer installed (no gyro).....if it looks like I do need to go with a different mixer, do you have a recommendation as to which one would work best in this situation?

Thanks again
Last edited by vinsonj; Sep 06, 2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old Sep 06, 2011, 01:27 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
The gyro goes in between the mixer and RX.
From that picture, you should not need a Y cable.
Look at this post and open it's attachment. they show it standard (top) with no gyro, then with an aileron gyro connected (bottom)
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=15
Old Sep 06, 2011, 01:45 PM
Joined Oct 2009
190 Posts
Quote:
The gyro goes in between the mixer and RX.
From that picture, you should not need a Y cable.
Look at this post and open it's attachment. they show it standard (top) with no gyro, then with an aileron gyro connected (bottom)
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=15
Ahhh..that is quite helpfull...looks like I had the mixer backwards....the "ele" in the picture probably means elevator, right? if so, that goes in channel 2, while the aileron (from the gyro) is plugged into channel 1, correct?
Old Sep 06, 2011, 04:08 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Aileron is ch1 for some radios (like futaba) and not for others (spektrum for instance goes throttle, aileron elevator)
Old Sep 06, 2011, 09:23 PM
Joined Oct 2009
190 Posts
well....I got everything hooked up and it appears to be working....sorta...

The mixer works, and the gyro initializes, but I've got to crank the gain up to notice any elevon adjustments (and it appears as if both are adjusted in unison) - is that normal for gyros controlling mixed elevons? I would think they should work independently, depending on which roll direction needed correction to stay straight/level, right?